Action 100 - Bristol/Bath to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I came down the A4 from Marlborough last week and that bit of it ok. It can get a bit stupid around Reading but nothing really worrying.

nantes23

Jim,

As far as 100+ mile rides go this would be an easier one.
Most Sportive rides are loop rides as opposed to an A to B ride like this one, so they tend to be easier because of the change in terrain.

The other advantage is that the prevailing wind is normally from the west, so you could get a tailwind for the whole distance.
Also as I know the area really well after the climb out of Marlborough it is pretty much downhill or flat all the way to London!!!

Good luck if you get to ride it!

Chris

U

User482

I've done it 3 times. It's very well organised, with plenty of drink/ food stops, plus they'll take you and your bike back to Bristol.

Most of the route is the A4, which is surprisingly quiet, especially at 7am on a Sunday morning! There are only 2 real hills - Box and Derry, both fairly early on in the ride, plus a small climb out of Marlborough. After that, it's very fast and flat - if you can get in a group, you'll be buzzing along at 20mph plus all the way to Reading.

The route turns off the A4 just before Reading - I don't know it after that cos they've changed it since I last did it.

If you're looking to do your first century, this is likely to be the best candidate.

marooned

Über Member
A friend did that last year and it seemed pretty good. Loads of refreshment stops. Just an early start though

Top Bottom