Actors' accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Did anyone hear Russell Crowe got shirty during a BBC interview when Mark Lawson told him he sounded Irish in the latest Robin Hood film? There was an article about it on R4 this morning. It was a totally crap accent. It was supposed to be Yorkshire. I never really imagined Robin Hood sounding like Geoffrey Boycot anyway, but there you go.

Which other actors have done astonishingly good, passable or crap accents in films?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Anything with Sean Connery in has a *touch* of Scottish about it.. :biggrin::biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hugh Laurie in House, terrible.
Bob Hoskins in that rabbit film doing American, terrible.
Dick van Dyke doing cockernese in Mary Poppins, hilarious.

dodgy

upsidedown said:
Hugh Laurie in House, terrible.

Strongly disagree, I work for a very large US company and my US colleagues were stunned when I sent them clips of his earlier work in Blackadder - they thought he was American!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
dodgy said:
Strongly disagree, I work for a very large US company and my US colleagues were stunned when I sent them clips of his earlier work in Blackadder - they thought he was American!

So do i, i hear it all day, and Hugh Laurie's version is terrible. Don't know what part of America it's supposed to sound like, nothing like i've ever heard. Why not just use an American actor instead of a very bad English actor/failed comedian ?

siadwell

Guru
Renée Zellweger as Bridget Jones and Beatrix Potter. Not bad for a Texan.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
upsidedown said:
Don't know what part of America it's supposed to sound like, nothing like i've ever heard.

America is a BIG place and there are plenty of really odd accents out there.

The woman who plays Dr Cuddy admits to having one of these accents herself.

Besides, House had supposedly grown up in different parts of the world, so what do you expect, a perfect New Jersey Accent??

....If was a real character I mean.

dodgy

Hugh Lawrie's accent is good enough to fool my US counterparts, good enough for them and certainly good enough for me.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't really watch much telly, and recently I was at the local theatre seeing a play.

There was a young guy playing a butler and quite frankly, he sounded like he'd just had a stroke!!
He was trying to do a slow, long suffering, post South of England accent, and he did it just a bit TOO slow and eeloooongaaaateddd.

That's not the T.V. though.

Top Bottom