Actual dooring...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
It was the passenger (foreigners do things on the wrong side) so it wasn't "his" door. Nor is he a moton, but only because he wasn't the motorist.

Am I the only one who saw the cars passing down the left of the camera car?

Nope, he said "typical moton", thus explicitly saying that it was typical behaviour for a moton and implying nothing about his thoughts on what constitutes normal behaviour for motorists.

IMO, if someone (driver or passenger) opens their door without checking behind, they are a moton. That says nothing of other people who drive or travel in cars, it says everything about that individual.

I doubt it was BM's clip, as it's abroad and filmed in a car.

No. I saw that too. That coupled with the number plates, tells me that the person who opened the door was the passenger, not the driver

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The dark vehicle immediately in front of the cam car has what looks like a new style French registration but none of the infrastructure looks French.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
IMO, if someone (driver or passenger) opens their door without checking behind, they are a moton. That says nothing of other people who drive or travel in cars, it says everything about that individual.

When I am in a taxi , I always ask " Clear to open the door?"

Invariably, the first answer is either " What?" Or "Uhh?".

Bicycle

The spoken words sound western Balkan to me.

I imagine a Slav part of the ex-Yugoslavia.

The roads, buildings and street furniture fit that guess.

When living (and cycling) in those parts I'd get yelled at by the police to get off the road and ride on the pavement.

I rarely complied, but now I see that they may have had a point. :rolleyes:

400bhp

Guru
It was the passenger (foreigners do things on the wrong side) so it wasn't "his" door. Nor is he a moton, but only because he wasn't the motorist.

Am I the only one who saw the cars passing down the left of the camera car?

Nope, he said "typical moton", thus explicitly saying that it was typical behaviour for a moton and implying nothing about his thoughts on what constitutes normal behaviour for motorists.

I doubt it was BM's clip, as it's abroad and filmed in a car.

Sorry, I didn't realise moton meant a motorist who is a moron. I just thought it was word to describe all motorists. :blush:

Norm

Sorry, I didn't realise moton meant a motorist who is a moron. I just thought it was word to describe all motorists. :blush:
IMO, it is absolutely not intended to be all motorists.

I'd guess (there's probably a poll somewhere) that most on CC are also motorists and a fair few seem to also ride motorbikes. :thumbsup:

(Some of us even drive 4x4's, but don't mention it out loud, it'll start all sorts of frothing. :biggrin: )

Jezston

Über Member
I don't think it's a word that anyone should be using at all, personally. It sounds rubbish - it's clunky, lacks impact, and we have plenty other better words out there to describe those whose actions we dislike.

Bicycle

I don't think it's a word that anyone should be using at all. It sounds rubbish - it's clunky, lacks impact, and we have plenty other better words out there to describe those whose actions we dislike.

+1

It's one of those words that sounds unhelpfully anti-car.

Appearing anti-car is never going to move things forward in bringing some sort of harmony between road users.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

I don't see a need to apologise, I dislike the phrase myself as I find the car reference unnecessary, they are morons, makes no difference if they are in a car, on a plane, in a boat, on a bike (or if they like green eggs and ham
wacko.gif
).

they are just straight out morons.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Besides, cager is better, and more descriptive of the relative lack of care compared with us unprotected two and three wheeled riders.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
My wife was nearly doored on Friday up the West End. Difference was, she was walking on the pavement. Some dick opened a taxi door on to a crowed pavement and nearly took her eye out. He looked bemused when I reached over her head and pushed the door shut on him. :angry:

Bicycle

Besides, cager is better, and more descriptive of the relative lack of care compared with us unprotected two and three wheeled riders.

Grrrr.... :wacko:

I find 'cager' far more divisive and dismissive than 'moton'.

Moton might be taken to refer only to those motorists who are morons (although some users seem to have a wider meaning in mind).

Cager, on the other hand, seems somehow slightly dismissive of all motorists.

It may not be meant that way, but it has that feel to it when heard or when seen in writing.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It does nothing more than describe what a protective cage tends to do to one's care towards others. It's the old spike in the steering wheel vs airbag effect.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ah, cut the crap BM, you know full well the implication in using terms like moton or cager, I'm with those that that don't like the terms and believe their use doesn't do cyclists any favours.

Top Bottom