Actually worth upgrading brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
would upgrading from the run of the mill Tektro calipers on my road bike, to something like Shimano 105s or Ulterga brakes make much of a difference to stopping power?
Or better off putting the money elsewhere?

Not that the brakes I've got aint doing the job I just, ya know... like being able to stop effectively.

If you are getting on fine with your existing brakes, I doubt its worth upgrading what you are probably better to do is when your pads run out change them for something like koolstop salmons.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
If you are getting on fine with your existing brakes, I doubt its worth upgrading what you are probably better to do is when your pads run out change them for something like koolstop salmons.

Ok ta, I'll keep it in mind. I think I'd upgrade them if I found a set going cheap of the ebay still, but only so as to keep the "shimano" branding across the whole bike (need a shimano crank for that to though) but then, I'm a bit of an OCD peanut for things like that lol.
I did read somewhere that the pads on these brakes are a bit pants now I think of it.

Norm

I upgraded my Tektros to 105s that someone on here was selling and I'd now say that yes, it is definitely worth it. There is much less flex in the arms, a much more direct feel from the lever to the rim and, ultimately, much more braking power. I think a pair of 105 calipers are about £75 and I'd spent that in a second.

endoman

Just ordered some Kool stop dual compunds, http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/produc...-ks-dura-holders-with-dual-compound-pads.html

Been doing a reasonable amount of hill work recently and my original brakes on the Focus Cayo are wearing out, plus they have trouble stopping me from speed on some of the big downhills in the peaks.

The ones above come with a dual compound pad, and a set of salmons as well, I can then just get new pads when needed. Will report back if there is a difference.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
When I first got my Secteur Sport the brakes were utter shoot. It had Tektro calipers fitted. So the first thing I did was replace the pads to some Clarks CPS240. The difference was amazing, the pads that came with the bike were truly awful. Then a few months later I notcied that Wiggle were selling off 105 calipers for £25, so I bought a front one. I changed the caliper and put the same Clarks pads in the 105 caliper. I honestly could tell no difference in braking performance at all. Then again I am no expert and just a recreational cyclist. But if it was me I would not bother changing calipers, unless you like the Shimano decals on the 105's, or can afford to do it easily, or are really serious cyclist.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another one who swapped Tektro for 105's on my commute bike. And the difference is very noticeable. Less spongy and easily more stopping power.

Ok ta, I'll keep it in mind. I think I'd upgrade them if I found a set going cheap of the ebay still, but only so as to keep the "shimano" branding across the whole bike (need a shimano crank for that to though) but then, I'm a bit of an OCD peanut for things like that lol.
I did read somewhere that the pads on these brakes are a bit pants now I think of it.

I know what you mean, I snapped my 105 derailleur a few weeks back and I was disgusted that the so called upgrade (5700) only had a shimano sticker, where the logo was embossed (?) with the older 5600 :rolleyes:

Jezston

Über Member
I upgraded my Tektros to 105s that someone on here was selling and I'd now say that yes, it is definitely worth it. There is much less flex in the arms, a much more direct feel from the lever to the rim and, ultimately, much more braking power. I think a pair of 105 calipers are about £75 and I'd spent that in a second.

Only paid around £25 new for my front 105 caliper, so bargains are to be had.

Can't really answer the OP's questions as I had disc brakes before so can't really compare!

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I think the more important issue is control (modulation) rather than stopping power. I would imagine your existing brakes already have enough stopping power to put you over the handlebars if you grabbed them too hard.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
I think the more important issue is control (modulation) rather than stopping power. I would imagine your existing brakes already have enough stopping power to put you over the handlebars if you grabbed them too hard.

This is true!
They have got pleanty of on/off potential but feel a bit ropey when I am trying to slow down from a hill or something and not actually stop

endoman

Rode with my Kool Stops last night, dry ride on the dual compounds to bed them in. Felt v nice and a smooth stop. Didin't do any challenging descents, but they did seem to be very secure.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Another one who swapped Tektro for 105's on my commute bike. And the difference is very noticeable. Less spongy and easily more stopping power.

I swapped the Tektros on my Secteur for 105 brakes and it made a massive improvement. They were going pretty cheap on one of the big sites.

Martin