Adding bottle cage mounting holes to an old steel frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not a clip on one,

0000000782589.jpe

EDIT, if you click on the picture it's a link

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rivnuts is what you require.

Blind rivets which leave a threaded insert you can bolt a standard bottle cage to.

You will need to drill the frame, which may or may nor be simple depending on your skill level and where you want to mount the cage - clearance to get the drill square-on is a consideration.

Slow start drills make drilling a tube easier with less chance of the bit skating.

A centre punch will make a small indentation and shouldn't damage the surrounding area.

Assuming you are competent with the tools, the result will be factory quality bottle cage mounts.

Here's a link to basic Rivnut kit, there are lots available.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/too...GS-040212979&gclid=CL2X_c6W89ECFe4Q0wodNsAMFw

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Simple, cheap, but slightly ugly.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bottle-cages/elite-water-bottle-cage-strips

680223?w=637&h=403.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder whether drilling holes for the Rivnuts would affect the strength of a 531 or a 531c down tube?

The manufacturers do it, and the hole is relatively small in comparison to the structure of the tube.

Also, the structure of the Rivnut replaces the drilled out material, so there is some suggestion the tube would be stronger that point.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
+1 for the non-invasive option. I've done it (seat tube) with a quite nice looking* one from a system called Klickfix.
bc8d6f5a96c783d6b1df3f9becc05992-030514_180221_PEEL_fShmKk.jpg

* yeah, yeah, eye of the beholder and all that. I think it looks okay.

robgul

Legendary Member
Rivnuts is what you require.

Blind rivets which leave a threaded insert you can bolt a standard bottle cage to.

You will need to drill the frame, which may or may nor be simple depending on your skill level and where you want to mount the cage - clearance to get the drill square-on is a consideration.

Slow start drills make drilling a tube easier with less chance of the bit skating.

A centre punch will make a small indentation and shouldn't damage the surrounding area.

Assuming you are competent with the tools, the result will be factory quality bottle cage mounts.

Here's a link to basic Rivnut kit, there are lots available.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/too...GS-040212979&gclid=CL2X_c6W89ECFe4Q0wodNsAMFw

Yep - AND a further tip - put some tape over the poinst where you are going to drill the holes - duct tape is ideal - before you make the centre punch indentation - the tape then reduces the risk of the drill slipping on the tube (you're drilling a curved surface)

Where are you? - I have a rivnut gun and supply of both steel and alloy inserts, with compatible drill but - be happy to help you (but don't even think about asking to borrow the tool!)

AND - just yesterday in the bike shop where I work part-time we had a Trek bike where the chap had damaged the thread in the mount - a bit of jiggery pokery with needle-nosed pliers pushed the offending insert into the seat tube (retrieved by removing the saddle and tipping it out) - replaced with a new alloy insert and a happy customer

Rob

PS - the clip on stuff, from experience, isn't very stable (and looks awful to me)

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I've had bottle cage mounts added by 'professionals' as part of a refurbishment - added to my 1976(?) Raleigh Record in the 1990's and I'm still riding it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom