Adding front & rear lights to an e-bike (from the battery)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my Orbea Gain M30 came with lights, but the Lapierre e-Sensium 3.2 doesn't (both bikes are EX35)
is it possible to retrofit battery powered lights?

You just need to fit a DC/DC voltage converter to step the battery/motor voltage down to something that the lights need.

Luck ......... ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
Super nova lights and others have voltage range from 12-60 Volts for Ebikes, just need to tap into battery with a switched fused supply

I will be wiring this to mine
20210225_100240.jpg

OP
OP
C

Capital_Singer

Regular
and where do you connect the wires to? is there a different loom or connector you need to buy seperately from Mahle , or is there a sperate terminal somewhere to wire into?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
E-bikes used to have dynamo lighting by German law. This was partly due to their weight (most bike lights in Germany are dynamo-powered as only bikes below a certain weight can use battery lights) but presumably also so you could pedal home in the dark with a flat traction battery. The inefficiency of using the traction battery to create motion and then generating electricity from a dynamo is clear, but you can see the point.

Anyway, most e-bikes now use the main battery as a power source. Just din't run out of juice at night.

This firm do bulbs for boats and caravans with a voltage range 10 - 30 volt DC, but my wife's e-bike is 36 volt and mine is 48 volt, so would need some thing to reduce the voltage.

So I use battery lamp for my bike rear, the front light came with bike, and yes it would be nice if all came from one battery, I return home with two helmets, two helmet controllers, two bikes, radio, camera, phones, watch, and a rear lamp all needing charging, seem to run out of USB outputs as most seem to be USB, however not really worth trying to wire from the 48 volt for rear lamp, just knocking one off the list of things to recharge does not seem to make sense.

Odd German rules with dynamo, in UK the reverse was true, the old hub dynamo (really an alternator) did not have enough output for EU laws and it would stop working when you stop, and the clip on dynamo could damage the tyres, so we moved to battery. Personally I did have a mixture.

I had handy usb outlet on my first ebike that ran a handy front light

CXRAndy

Guru
and where do you connect the wires to? is there a different loom or connector you need to buy seperately from Mahle , or is there a sperate terminal somewhere to wire into?

If you have no skills to use a multimeter to ascertain which cables or connector to join your new lights, then let an experienced ebike service person or someone with electronics knowledge do the job.

CXRAndy

Guru
This firm do bulbs for boats and caravans with a voltage range 10 - 30 volt DC, but my wife's e-bike is 36 volt and mine is 48 volt, so would need some thing to reduce the voltage.

So I use battery lamp for my bike rear, the front light came with bike, and yes it would be nice if all came from one battery, I return home with two helmets, two helmet controllers, two bikes, radio, camera, phones, watch, and a rear lamp all needing charging, seem to run out of USB outputs as most seem to be USB, however not really worth trying to wire from the 48 volt for rear lamp, just knocking one off the list of things to recharge does not seem to make sense.

Odd German rules with dynamo, in UK the reverse was true, the old hub dynamo (really an alternator) did not have enough output for EU laws and it would stop working when you stop, and the clip on dynamo could damage the tyres, so we moved to battery. Personally I did have a mixture.

My wife's ebike has Shimano front wheel hub dynano with Busch&Muller dynamo rated lights front and rear. I went this route because I transferred the setup from another non ebike.

She has this front lamp
20210719_183140.jpg

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Busch-M%C3%BCller-Headlamp-Spotlight-Scheinwerfer/dp/B015DK26VW/ref=asc_df_B015DK26VW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310135571037&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9524227226113167867&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007079&hvtargid=pla-455837427510&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Top Bottom