Addison lee told to use bus lanes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ohnovino

Large Member
The Guardian claims that black cab drivers are planning on taking photos of AL cars in the bus lanes as evidence. Maybe Gaz should tell them that road users with cameras are just looking for trouble.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The news on BBC this morning seemed to suggest that AL have won the right for a judicial review on restrictive business practices contrary to European Law grounds. IIRC this will mean they are now legally allowed to use the bus lanes until the results of the review won't it?

I'm quite lucky in that the new commute doesn't have many bus lanes. Once I finally get access to the car park for my bike, I'll be able to commute and see how many AL I have to deal with. I'm guessing not many but you never know.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
"As chairman, I can advise you that a lawful interpretation of the bus lane regulation entitles Addison Lee drivers with private hire identifiers to use all bus lanes in the same way as our competitors. Accordingly, you are fully entitled to use the bus lanes."

In what alternative universe are black cabs competitors? Black cabs are generally hailed from the street, whereas AL and other private hire cabs must be booked by phone. If some PH cabs were allowed to use them, but AL not, he would have a point.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As a taxi (Hackney carriage) has a liscense to Ply for hire at the road side, it would be impractical for them to not have access to and across bus lanes. Mincab/private hire are not licensed to ply for hire and so have no business entering or crossing bus lanes.

The only reason they would want to is to save time and increase profits.

They knew the law when they started their business and no matter how big a company you are, you should not expect the law to "change" to suit your business plan.

Unless you are a petro-chemical or arms company of course, in which case, help yourself...murder, extort, occupy, steal...feel free, just don't use the bus lanes..that's the important thing
Minicabs / private hire vehciels are allowed to stop in bus lanes to pick up or drop off passengers.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Didn't AL contribute to Boris' election campaign?. They are also a motorbike courier firm and now motorbikes are allowed in some of london's bus lanes. I see a correlation there....

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
They'll all be wanting the right to drive in cycle lanes next. Oh, hang on...
northroad.jpg

Or just park on them?

Attachments

• northroad.jpg
    northroad.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 34
  • northroad.jpg
    northroad.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 34

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Just had a thought (lunchbreak ending, work drawing me back...aaargh!). As cyclists,why not email this dingbat who runs AL and state quite simply that if AL drivers cause an accident with you, you will be looking to sue him personally. Might work?.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Minicabs / private hire vehciels are allowed to stop in bus lanes to pick up or drop off passengers.
Yeahbut this is only to literally pick up and drop off...not ply for hire. Taxis that can be hailed will inevitably cruise near the kerb and stop frequently.

Plus they are regarded as a form of public transport (which they are not) and as such are provided some privilages such as riding bus lanes (as well as parking in taxi ranks for free and having neat little green caravans stocked with plenitiful supplies of egg and chips, all over the place)

Whereas minicab's as just criminals people in cars and as such are afforded no such privileges.

Reactions: gaz

compo

Veteran
Back to all articles
M4 Bus Lane Prosecution Dropped

Oct 10, 2010
Addison Lee, Europe’s largest taxi firm received notice today that over 200 tickets and 130 court summonses against them for driving in the despised M4 bus lane have been dropped.
The CPS contacted Addison Lee after deciding that prosecutions were not in the public interest.

http://www.addisonlee.com/press/read/391

For those who don’t know Griffin Lee, his firm, Addision Lee, contributed £150,000 in cash to the Tories, entitling him to buy his way onto the Leaders’ Group of donors and so meet Tories on a regular basis at drinky poos, lunches and dinners. Oh, and those who followed the general election run up might remember that Addison Lee cabs donated £4,000 worth of fares to the Tories. No surprise what can be arranged if the money is right.

davefb

Guru
For those who don’t know Griffin Lee, his firm, Addision Lee, contributed £150,000 in cash to the Tories, entitling him to buy his way onto the Leaders’ Group of donors and so meet Tories on a regular basis at drinky poos, lunches and dinners. Oh, and those who followed the general election run up might remember that Addison Lee cabs donated £4,000 worth of fares to the Tories. No surprise what can be arranged if the money is right.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2012/apr/16/minicab-tory-donor
250k here..
and I'm sure its got nothing to do with the m4 debacle ...

Top Bottom