Adivce needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny251

Hi there!
I am completely new to cycling and I am wondering if I could ask a few questions please?

Are Raleigh bikes still as good as people say they are and is this one that I have linked below any good?

http://www.argos.co....es|26350687.htm

I am looking to spend £100-180 on a bike that will last. I will be using it three-four times a week for short journeys and the odd long journey on mostly pavement. I would probably like a front suspension bike as well.

Can anyone recommend me a bike please?

Thanks!

Rebel Ian

I'm not sure you can expect too much from a bike that costs £150 but it'll do for short rides without breaking an records. As for cycling on the pavement you know that's illegal?

Hi Danny, welcome to CC. You are running with a very restrictive budget to be brutally honest. You say you want a bike that will last, well bikes are a perfect example of getting what you pay for.

Raleigh are making a comeback and are making some decent bikes, but IMHO all bikes at this price point are only going to dissapoint in the long term.

My advice if your budget is set in stone would be to look for a decent second hand bike, ebay is always a good starting point but make sure you follow the guidelines outlined on various posts here, (enter ebay in the search box and select Forums).

You will always get more bike for your money buying used, and chances are a decent used bike will far outlast a new £150 bike.

All this is just my opinion, but many of my mates have done the same and ended up with a far better bike than they could have ever bought new.

If you do see a bike on ebay, post a link up here asking for advice on it and people will always take a look and give you their open and honest opinion.

Don't let any of this put you off, cycling is fantastic if you have the right bike, (and it's reliable), but buying the wrong bike, (or a demic bike) will just mean you end up not using it and falling out with cycling.

Take your time, choose wisely, exploit the opinions of everyone on here, and when you get fixed up ride safe :thumbsup:

If you are wanting to spend £100-180 on a bike that'll last go to the second hand market and ditch the front suspension and buy a more reliable hardtail. And when you say mostly pavement I take it you mean the US style pavement, ie tarmac, the road, as said cycling on the footway/ footpath is illegal, as well as increasing your likely hood of conflicts and damaging your wheel (bumping up and down kerbs).

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

I actually forgot that it was illegal lol DOH! But I was referring to quite short journeys and for the longer ones obviously the road but I think I will just stick to the road lol.

I think I will go down the used route any particular brands you recommend? I don't think I want a road bike due to the state of the roads but would a hybrid be a good alternative do you think?

Thanks a lot guys!

the snail

Guru
I think I will go down the used route any particular brands you recommend? I don't think I want a road bike due to the state of the roads but would a hybrid be a good alternative do you think?

Thanks a lot guys!

yes, a hybrid would fit the bill, but some hybrids are like road bikes with flat bars, so not much different on crappy roads

Thanks a lot guys!

A mtb orientated hybrid would be a good alternative as the snail says some hybrids are road bike orientated, much lighter/ faster but if you are concerned about the state of the roads might not be comfortable. I'd recommend a mountain bike orientated hybrid like the Ridgeback Velocity but I am biased towards them owning one ;-)

stevetailor125

You could also check the local bike shops for used, I brought my Hybrid Ridgeback from a LBS for a bargain £64 including a warranty

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Complete nonsense and totally unhelpful.

+1

My subway 2 was iirc £220 and has been in use every day for the last 2 years for pleasure and teaching. It's like anything else, take the time to do your rearch and spend only what you need to.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1

My subway 2 was iirc £220 and has been in use every day for the last 2 years for pleasure and teaching. It's like anything else, take the time to do your rearch and spend only what you need to.

Yup, Subway bikes from Hlafords are very well made bikes. A good buy for someone looking for a first bike.

Top Bottom