Ouch! Seat advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone, just got a bike today for the first time in years, for 3 reasons mainly;

1) to get fit
2) to stop using the car as much
3) to enjoy riding with the kids

Anyway, my first outing was horrific and I remember now why I hate cycling, because quite frankly even though my rear end is fairly padded (ok quite a lot padded), it seems that the seat manages to find bones and it hurts! I want to love cycling, please tell me someone has found a seat that feels like a sofa?!

🤪

Also, hope I'm in the right forum, this is the first one I found, if there's a more suitable place for me to be please direct me!

iluvmybike

Über Member
One persons comfy saddle is another's purgatory! Very much a personal thing as we are all built differently. But if you are returning after a a long time not riding then your nethers can need a bit of time to get used to sitting on the saddle. It isn't just about the saddle though - investing in well-fitted padded shorts can make a huge difference. Don't attempt to ride too far initially - it takes a bit of time.
You haven't said which saddle is on the bike you have bought - it may be too narrow/wide for your sit bones - they should support your weight. It can be a trail and error thing and can end up costing a lot of money in the process. Specialized stores do do saddle fittings if you have one near by. Also look at your position on the bike - did the store you bought it from set it up for you?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Welcome!

Give the saddle a week or two. Like with many things, it's often more an issue of not being used to it and you'll probably find it no problem soon enough.

Check the saddle is level - a spirit level and horizontal is a good place to start. Some people prefer a small tilt either way.

Also, post a picture of the set up. often it's not so much the saddle but the overall position which is a problem.

Firstly, start riding on very short rides, eg 10 mins, extended a bit every day. This will allow you to get conditioned gradually.

2. Make sure your bike is setup to fit you in a comfortable riding position.
Post a pic if you want, with your pedals in 9:00 position and 6:00 position.

3. Make sure your saddle is suitable. Very soft saddles are not liked by regular riders. The best saddles provide firm support to your sit bones and not squishy bits.
Most experienced riders have a box of saddles that didnt work.

snorri

Legendary Member
Seat and seat position are both important, but it sounds as if you may have done too much on the first days, a not unusual occurrence.
Don't cycle until it hurts, learn to be back to base before it hurts. Two or more short rides a day are better than one longer ride which causes pain.
It should not be long before you form a loving relationship with your bicycle seat^_^.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RaleighRider

Hi everyone 👋

Thanks so much for the responses, really helpful to know I'm not alone!

I'm female, and I have a Raleigh Pioneer Classic with a Selle Royal seat, it is second hand and wasn't set up for me so I guess I may need to make some adjustments. I'm also 2 years post spinal fusion so just want to be comfy! I don't have the money to be buying loads of seats but if there was a guaranteed one that would be right I would invest, however looks like I'll just have to persevere. Will get some shorts maybe.

I'm going to save up for an electric bike I think because the hills are almost impossible 😲

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's almost certainly just a case of your bum bones simply not being used to having any pressure put on them, I've had it after a long period off the bike. Just ride a few shorter rides and it'll get better very, very quickly... that first ride can be disheartening if you overdo it, but it soon goes away if you just stick at it a bit.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of thoughts, mostly agreeing with those above.

1 Saddle height. A rule of thumb is that it's right if when your leg is dead straight with your heel on the pedal.

2 Is the saddle dead level, or very slightly nose down?

3 Saddles also have a fore-aft adjustment on the rails. You'll just have to play with this.

4 Padded saddles are almost universally regarded as "a bad thing". Maybe counter-intuitive but there it is

5 Get a saddle that suits you. This is harder to advise on, but for me and quite a lot of people, the Brooks leather saddles work very well, with the B17 and Team Pro being the most mainstream versions. However they don't suit everyone and a few people find them very uncomfortable. The snag is they are quite expensive if you find it's not for you but can be flipped on ebay I guess. Don't believe the nonsense about "breaking them in" over thousands of miles using special oils etc. Mine was perfect from the first day and I'm not inclined to try anything else but as I say, they don't work for everyone

5 Whilst others have mentioned padded shorts, I disagree, or at least, that's way down the list. You need to work out what's wrong with your current set up first and fix that, rather than trying to mask a problem with cycling shorts. OK cycling shorts are "a good thing" overall, and I tend to wear them, but could happily ride (maybe not now, but have done) 50 miles in normal trousers, so cycle shorts are a minor improvement only, particularly for modest rides, and not a cure for a bad set up.

I think we need to see you on the bike to help.

As has been said position is important. If the saddle is too low all your weight is on it. Right height and you can use your legs as shock absorbers. You don't sit in the saddle like a sack of spuds.

You can definitely sort this - I didn't like the saddle to begin with and now it's as comfy as anything.

Kajjal

Guru
I am 2m tall and due to this need wider fitting saddles or I get the James Bond on the chair with the rope experience :stop:

Having a correct size and type of saddle is the best starting point, after that you can fine tune by moving the saddle. Start by confirming your current saddle is the right size and work from there.

To clarify saddle height, it should be fairly high whilst maintaining flex in your knee at all times. With heel on pedal your leg should be straight but you pedal with the ball of your foot so this adds sufficient flex.

After you get the height right you can move the saddle forward/back to find a comfortable position.
Then go back and re set height adjustment.

Selle Royal are a decent brand but make many types of saddle.

Top Bottom