Adjusting Caliper Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

I tried to adjust my brakes yesterday and because I don't know what I'm doing hit two problems, so am wondering if one of you knowledgeable folk could explain caliper brakes to me.

First problem: Ended up so tight the wheel wouldn't go round. So how do you (properly) control how far from the rim the pads sit?

Second problem: After fiddling with moving parts until the wheel would turn again and getting them into a sensible position, there was about 5mm play in the brake lever. I guessed this was due to the cable being loose, so I pulled it through tight but still no good. There was still a bit of play in the bit I've labelled 'E' though, did I miss a trick?

Have included pictures for reference if it helps. If anyone could tell me the purpose of the bits I've labelled that might aid my understanding!

Thanks,
Colin

brakes1.jpg

brakes2.jpg

on the road

Über Member
You Haven't taken it apart by any chance?

Just turn nut F, one way will take the brake blocks towards the rim, the other way will take them away from the rim.

If the brakes are still loose, then you'll need to undue the cable, use a third hand tool on the brake blocks and then retighten the cable, then take the third hand tool off the brake blocks. You will then have to loosen the cable using nut F.

GrasB

Veteran
The way the manual that came with my calipers said to adjust them is as follows:
1) Losen bolt E & turn lever F to the up position
2) pull the cable taught with your fingers & tighten bolt E
3) Tighten adjuster F until you can only just get your tyre fully inflated between the brake pads
4) turn lever F so it's pointing down & make sure that the wheel runs freely through the brake blocks, if so stop here.
5 a) if both pads are binding use adjuster F to give approximately 1-2mm of clearance per side.
5 :biggrin: if they are binding on one side or the other or you can't get equal clearance gaps then use nut B to centre the calipers
6) Apply the brakes & adjust grub screw B if one side of the caliper moves much more than the other. After this you will probably need to go back & do 5 again.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Thanks guys, I was doing all the adjusting on A-E and tinkered with F as a last resort, when in fact he was the answer!

I didn't go as far as taking it all apart, fortunately.

Top Bottom