Adjusting TRP HY/RD disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Does anyone know how to adjust these particular brakes? I've changed wheels, which meant changing the rotors and the result is that the pads are rubbing against the rotors. Fwiw I've centred the brakes.

I can head for the bike shop (Decathlon) who sold them, but the mechanics never seem to be around.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Like this!

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks. I've seen that one, but it doesn't seem clear how to move the pads (perhaps you can't). I have another bike with (mechanical) disc brakes and they had a screw adjustment - I was hoping that the Hy/rs would also have something similar, but it doesn't look like it does.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you have centred them and adjusted them like that then they shouldn't be rubbing. Are you sure that the rotors are totally flat?

(Mind you, my hearing isn't 100% so I probably wouldn't notice if my HY/RD** was subtly rubbing!)

** I only have one on the front of my CAADX. I replaced the crappy Promax brake which was on there when I got the bike. The rear Promax works well enough to add a bit of extra braking.

si_c

Guru
A plastic tyre lever usually does the job of pushing the pads back in.

The new wheels are likely to have wider rotors which is why they are rubbing - although you don't say whether the left or right side is the one hitting the rotor.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

If you have centred them and adjusted them like that then they shouldn't be rubbing. Are you sure that the rotors are totally flat?

(Mind you, my hearing isn't 100% so I probably wouldn't notice if my HY/RD** was subtly rubbing!)

** I only have one on the front of my CAADX. I replaced the crappy Promax brake which was on there when I got the bike. The rear Promax works well enough to add a bit of extra braking.

I think the replacement rotors are marginally thicker than the originals - by about 0.2mm

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

A plastic tyre lever usually does the job of pushing the pads back in.

The new wheels are likely to have wider rotors which is why they are rubbing - although you don't say whether the left or right side is the one hitting the rotor.
I can't actually tell whether it's left or right but will have a go with the tyre lever. Thanks

gasinayr

Über Member
How did you centre them, slacken the allen bolts that hold the calipers to the frame, apply the brake lever a few times then hold on, keeping the level on, tighten the allen bolts again caliper should be centered.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

How did you centre them, slacken the allen bolts that hold the calipers to the frame, apply the brake lever a few times then hold on, keeping the level on, tighten the allen bolts again caliper should be centered.
Pretty much, although I only applied the brake once before holding on and tightening the bolts. Should I apply the brake a few times first?

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Just had a go at pushing the pads back with a plastic tool, and re-centering the brakes again (this time applying the brake several times before tightening. That seems to have worked although only been for a short trip round the block. Will test further tomorrow.

Top Bottom