Admiral now penalize drivers on speeding awareness courses.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you want cheap insurance drive a group A car on a clean license and put it in a garage at night instead of the freezer.

Reactions: srw

Recycle

Über Member
One of the emerging technologies in car insurance is the use of telematics. That is the willingness of the insured to allow the installation of a black box equipped accelerometers and GPS. These allow the insurer to asses the quality, location and length of time you spend on the road. Some may consider this a threat to their civil liberties but if you have nothing to hide...

My problem with telematics is that if your premium jumps you may not know why. To me it would double its usefulness if I had access to the same data that the insurance company has, and also with the knowledge of the criteria used to evaluate my driving. That way I could at least take action to correct premium spikes or more importantly, crap driving.

I think that telematics could play a major role in bringing down the premium of under 25's.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
One of the emerging technologies in car insurance is the use of telematics. That is the willingness of the insured to allow the installation of a black box equipped accelerometers and GPS. These allow the insurer to asses the quality, location and length of time you spend on the road. Some may consider this a threat to their civil liberties but if you have nothing to hide...

My problem with telematics is that if your premium jumps you may not know why. To me it would double its usefulness if I had access to the same data that the insurance company has, and also with the knowledge of the criteria used to evaluate my driving. That way I could at least take action to correct premium spikes or more importantly, crap driving.

I think that telematics could play a major role in bringing down the premium of under 25's.
Telematics are the future, and the imminent future on mainland Europe iirc, which more or less guarantees the British public will fight them on the beaches. At least one of the systems to be used in Europe has a web portal interface allowing the driver to inspect their own data and adapt their driving accordingly.

Telematics are the future, and the imminent future on mainland Europe iirc, which more or less guarantees the British public will fight them on the beaches. At least one of the systems to be used in Europe has a web portal interface allowing the driver to inspect their own data and adapt their driving accordingly.

At some point the original aims of the Galileo GPS system will resurface and the real fun may begin.
"2 miles on the A630 sir? That'll be £1.35 peak rate.
Went down the A633 at 32mph? That'll be £1.50 peak rate, £200 fine, and 3 points. Your insurance provider has been informed."

Paul99

Über Member
Are you sure it doesn't mean "Shaft our customers at every opportunity" Insurance companies are SCUM only surmounted by the misspelt bankers.

Alan...
So what do you do for a living then? I work in insurance by the way.

subaqua

What’s the point
me, construction. si i understand risk. and likelhoods. if something happens to opne person, the liklehood of that happening again changes as it is less likley to happen again.

so imagine my surprise when my premiums went up after a tree fell on my car , whilst i wasn't even in the same town as the car. apparently in insurance eyes once something happens to you its likely to happen again and again. this is the same insurance company being talked anout in this thread. who don't really seem to be doing much to claim back the loss from the Council who own the tree. much easier to get any money back from your customers than do any work. am so glad that i got rid of my car now.

D

Deleted member 26715

I work for a Telecoms company where my customer can choose to use us or not & not compelled by law to have our products

Alan...

Paul99

Über Member
The main problem with insurance these days is that everybody wants something for nothing.

If, like most of the insurance buying population, you use a price comparison site like Go Compare, MoneySupermarket etc then there will be a level of assumption built into any price that you see. So if you then go and pick the cheapest one and don't read the t&c's properly then you will more than likely find out when it comes time to make a claim that you are not covered adequately for your loss.

This isn't the insurance company trying to get out of paying your claim. It's you trying to claim for something you are not covered for.

Things that are assumed can be your annual mileage, clean driving licence, where the car will be parked overnight etc. Next time you get a quote from the price comparison site, click through to the cheapest premium and see what they are assuming/excluding despite what you may have answered on the quote form.

The insurance industry is very heavily regulated, especially where the insurance is compulsory, and the payout rates for VALID claims is near 100%

As for Phaeton's examples of being ripped off:

Two personal examples for you, sister is hit from behind whilst waiting at a junction, she'd driving a Astra estate worth £2k, all it does is put a 2" (50mm in new money) crack in the bumper, takes it to a local workshop, £400 (another rip-off) for the bumper, £200 to remove old, paint new, fit new, £600 total. But insurance company would not accept this, had to go through their 'Approved' bodyshop, so she takes the car there, assessor walks out to car, looks round it for 30 seconds, says "That's going to cost over £1.5K we'll write the car off" WTF write a car off for a 2" crack in the bumper. They argued & eventually they paid out & kept the car, 4 years later it still has the 2" crack & going strong.

It doesn't matter how much your claim was for it'll have no bearing on how much your premium will be next year. If you claim £1.00 or £1,000,000 the premium will still rise by the same amount. e.g. what do you think would happen if you hit a Ferrari instead of a Micra?

I'm in a car park in a Berlingo van, starts to slowly reverse into a parking stop, next thing I know there is a car behind me, I get out & the guy to screaming & shouting at me, the nearside wing, front passenger door & rear passenger door of his car are all caved in. His nearside front wheel is turn hard to the left & is just touching my bumper, so I have not actually got as far as his car. But because I was reversing my insurance company wouldn't argue it, although the guy had been involved in the same accident 2 days earlier, he got paid out £5.5K the car was worth less that £500.

Next thing you know there is a car behind you? You were obviously reversing without looking where you were going. That aside, you were a victim of an insurance fraud and once again the value of the car/claim means little. This doesn't mean that the insurance company are scum. You would have had to pay them 5.5k if you didn't have any insurance, I think you should be grateful.

Top Bottom