Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Wait till you find the little holder on the filler flap to rest the cap on so it's out of the way and not dangling.
UK fuel pumps have the locking pins removed from the nozzle/handle; fuel delivery stops if you don't squeeze the trigger on the handle. Annoying and uncomfortable if you suffer RSI, Arthritis, etc.

Or you can whack the filler cap under the handle.

It’s very interesting but it hardly passed through the solar system. It came within 0.8 light years of the sun. Which is close but still a huge distance away.
To put that in context Pluto, right on the edge of the solar system is 5 light hours from the sun.
So it was about a 1000 times further away that Pluto and was a dwarf star so probably too dim to be seen with the naked eye.
I'm pretty sure the oort cloud is classed as the distant part of our solar system the outer edges. I take your point its a fair way out but is still classed as the solar system and we don't know the orbits of the planets of the two stars and as previously stated it was the same time as the Earth had a massive super volcano eruption which wiped out most human life, yes of course it could be coincidence but there is also the possibility it was caused by an outer planet of that system. It's also important to point out that was only 70,000 years ago and its certainly possible many other stars and planets have gone further into the solar system over billions of years. When I was taught about the solar system as a child it seemed like we had our solar system and everything else was outside it not that stars were moving in the heavens like they do. Anyway I found it quite amazing and not something I realised happened before.

Wait till you find the little holder on the filler flap to rest the cap on so it's out of the way and not dangling.

This is the sort of thing you just don't know if you don't own a car, alongside the discovery that several of the roads I happily cycle both ways along are actually only one way for cars, which is a bit of a bummer if you're given a lift and agree to navigate.

winjim

Smash the cistern
This is the sort of thing you just don't know if you don't own a car, alongside the discovery that several of the roads I happily cycle both ways along are actually only one way for cars, which is a bit of a bummer if you're given a lift and agree to navigate.
I don't think many car owners even know about it. I think it's just about the only interesting or vaguely useful thing I've ever learned from a clickbait listicle.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I only learned yesterday that ‘compared to’ and ‘compared with’ have completely opposite meanings.

If you compare something to another thing it is because they are similar. If you compare something with another thing, it is because they are different.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Are you wearing them back to front? :laugh:

Seriously - I have stacks of T's from a fair number of different manufacturers and they are all label left.
<sigh> I should have known there'd be one. Two "George" Ts, labels on the right.
Damned if I'm emptying the wardrobe to look for more; there probably aren't, as I rarely shop in Asda. 637866

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The angled head on this spanner allows you to flip it over so you can get more turns of the bolt in tight spaces.
While in really tight spaces it means the actual tightening demands an interminable shift, flip, shift, flip, shift, flip, shift, flip, shift, flip and often many etcs. Generally while in a really uncomfortable position. Bonus points for slipping on a 'shift' and skinning a knuckle. :okay:

Top Bottom