Admit your insight - things you knew all along that have now become public knowledge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That Rishi Sunak is a climate sceptic

classic33

Leg End Member
There's two light boards on either platform at the local railway atation. They light up with the word OFF showing, when the inbound train, in either direction passes a certain point.
Watching one yesterday, as the train was late, and very few announcements being made. I was asked why did I keep looking in their direction(Is it illegal to look around these days?) and I'd to point out the board. They'd neither noticed it before or what it did. Hanging there twenty odd years, previously wall mounted and they'd never noticed them.
I thought everyone knew, but not the case.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's two light boards on either platform at the local railway atation. They light up with the word OFF showing, when the inbound train, in either direction passes a certain point.
Watching one yesterday, as the train was late, and very few announcements being made. I was asked why did I keep looking in their direction(Is it illegal to look around these days?) and I'd to point out the board. They'd neither noticed it before or what it did. Hanging there twenty odd years, previously wall mounted and they'd never noticed them.
I thought everyone knew, but not the case.

I'm half ignorant. I have noticed such boards but I've never known what they do.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Then of course there'll be that other '66 'big event' in 2066, before the 1000th Battle of Hastings stuff , when we remember, even celebrate :rolleyes: England's 1966 World Cup win, 100th anniversary.

Well, at least it will mean Hastings & Battle will be quiet for the nerds :-)
Are we arranging a meeting place? Zimmer friendly, of course.

Alex321

Veteran
I told a schoolfriend in the late 1960s that in our lifetime we would be able to buy a personal computer that was more powerful than a mainframe computer of the time costing millions of pounds and filling a large hall. This personal computer would fit into a suitcase, cost less than £25,000, be able to store, create, and play back music, photos, and video, and be able to store thousands of books worth of data. He looked at me as if I was crazy... Little did we realise that my forecast was actually very conservative! :laugh:

Indeed. Fits in a pocket, never mind a suitcase, and costs a few hundred pounds, and also makes phone calls as well as all the computery stuff you list.

My phone has WAY more processing power and memory than the room sized mainframe I was proudly shown by the Swansea University Computer department before I was offered a place there, in 1976. That was an ICL 1904S, with 128K of main memory, and exchangeable disk pack each able to store up to 300K of data.

Top Bottom