Adults reading Harry Potter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
punkypossum said:
Harry Potter is great!!! I resisted for ages, not wanting to get pulled into the HP hype, but once I started the first one I was hooked.

As for kids books, the Philip Pullman ones are supposed to be for kids, and they are fantastic.

Also just got "The Spook's Apprentice" out of the library (part 1 of the Wardstone Chronicles) - it was on a special display in the "local reads" section, really enjoyed it and then realised that was a kiddie book as well...

I am a Harry Potter Fan ... I don't read that much as when I do get into a book (especially one of a series), I am the sort that reads in bed, on the bus, in the car everywhere until I get to the end. And I will happily do without sleep, food etc (unfortunately the kids don't seem to be able to do without at the same time). I love books for teens, I've read the Philip Pullman and other series as well.

I didn't start reading the HP books until after the 4th one came out in paper back, then I read books 1-4 in a week. And each of the subsequent ones I have finished within 24 hours of being published (having reread the series upto that point in the preceding weeks.)

It took until last summer for my eldest daughter - by that stage age 12, to get to that same point where it becomes almost impossible to put down a book. My husband in the 16+ years we have been married hasn't read one complete book - just not his thing.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
yello said:
Fnaar, I find that desperately close to worrying. Please don't tell me you speak Klingon too!
Oooh no, I wouldn't be that silly... after all, ktharg sqwatchfit f'king f'king lycra thong wibble s'taarn s'tooorg, innit! :tongue:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've read all the Potters to Miss tdr1nka so couldn't escape it, and they are wholly enjoyable 'light' reading.

On the other hand Philip Pullman Northern Lights/His Dark Materials trilogy is a work of theological genius.

Read what you ever you like as long as you enjoy reading it IMO.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I read about the first third of the first one back in the days - thought I'd give it a go, see what all the fuss was about. Have to say I'm with derall - I was surprised just how poorly written it was. Not a patch on, say, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - as far as the quality of the writing is concerned. I'd say, tho' that what JK Rowland is is the kids' equivalent of Jeffrey 'Lord' Archer: she's a great storyteller. Can't write for nuts, but you do want to find out What Happens Next....

buggi

Bird Saviour
don't knock it til you tried it. Like punkypossum i resisted for ages and really took the pee out of my sister, but one day when i was ill i picked up the 1st one. 3 weeks later i had read 4 of the books and was gutted she hadn't finished writing the 5th one!

still haven't got round to reading the last one yet tho, must find time.

Noodley

I read the first (and maybe second) to elder Noodlette. After that I got fed up with all the back tracking, repeating and explanation stuff and gave up.

I like the fillums. A bit of fantasy. I'm a bit simple minded and prone to child-like enjoyments.

Abitrary

I think the same of adults who read Harry Potter as that of adults (and children) who read the hobbit / Lord of the rings etc.

Can anyone who reads any of this 2 dimensional brain rot please say so in order that I can compose my christmas ignore list.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Flying_Monkey said:
I have no problem with adults reading Harry Potter, just with the adults who think that this makes them special.
who thinks that? ;)
I've read 'em cos my kids were reading 'em, picked one up and quite liked it. No harm done. Like eating pots of fromage frais... I'd probably never touch one if we didn't have them in the fridge for the kids.

Maz

Guru
There's a Bollywood film coming out called Hari Puttar (Hari is a boy's name, puttar means 'son'). Apparently JK Rowling tried to sue the film-makers for some sort of name copyright, but she failed.

I think she's getting a bit paranoid.;)

simoncc

In my experience the adults who read Harry Potter are the type of adults who wouldn't be reading anything but Hello magazine or an airport blockbuster otherwise, and would most probably be goggling at infantile dramas on TV or the occasional dumbed down TV adaptation of a Victorian/Regency classic with lots of girls in pretty dresses and dashing young men in tight trousers.

For these adults reading Harry Potter probably represents an improvement.

Noodley

simoncc said:
In my experience the adults who read Harry Potter are the type of adults who wouldn't be reading anything but Hello magazine or an airport blockbuster otherwise, and would most probably be goggling at infantile dramas on TV or the occasional dumbed down TV adaptation of a Victorian/Regency classic with lots of girls in pretty dresses and dashing young men in tight trousers.

For these adults reading Harry Potter probably represents an improvement.

Did you enjoy them?

Top Bottom