Advantages of cycling for Introverts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was always quiet but always had a small group of friends until I moved to a small village at the age of 13. Not having a friends, I cycled around and explored on my own and it didn't bother me. I may have missed out on peer group relationship training and never really understand "bloke rules" . I can empathize with Moss from the IT Show.
One thing I notice on the bike is that it is a safe space for my emotions to unravel. If I feel like crying for no particular reason, just an excess of feelings that have no place to go, then Im fine with that. I also enjoy my own jokes but sometimes feel that the world is missing out.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My cycling keeps me sane whilst dealing with my Good Ladies health problems.
My late wife had Parkinson's which was closely allied to dementia. I had 3 hours per week respite and cycling certainly kept me slightly more sane.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So where does that leave me?
As a lad 14-16 I would happilly go off walking or fishing on my own......I didn't 'need' company and still dont.
But aged 15-17 I went cycling with mates most weekends and cycle with a mate now.
I don't like large gatherings and whenever I have been at family do's I would be in the more quiet area.......maybe even go out for a stroll.
And yet, I have been married 52 years and really enjoy my wifes nagging company.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So where does that leave me?
As a lad 14-16 I would happilly go off walking or fishing on my own......I didn't 'need' company and still dont.
But aged 15-17 I went cycling with mates most weekends and cycle with a mate now.
I don't like large gatherings and whenever I have been at family do's I would be in the more quiet area.......maybe even go out for a stroll.
And yet, I have been married 52 years and really enjoy my wifes nagging company.

It leaves you in the happy position of enjoying your own company, or that of a few friends.

In addition to enjoying the company of your wife.

I think you're probably within acceptable bounds of personhood @Dave7 :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
It leaves you in the happy position of enjoying your own company, or that of a few friends.

In addition to enjoying the company of your wife.

I think you're probably within acceptable bounds of personhood @Dave7 :okay:
Sounds good to me. I will go with that^_^
PS.....I always knew you were a nice lady.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people mistake introversion for shyness or social anxiety. I'm an introvert who works with people in my chosen profession; I can deal with that, but I need to Introvert at the end of the day; I can have long conversations with certain friends ,but I dislike large gatherings.

I also dislike making phone calls to strangers; in fact, I'm putting off calling someone now...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In my teens I went touring with a pal and since we had little money we lived off the land as much as possible. Later I cycled with my wife and we were off camping nearly every weekend plus some continental bike tours in main holidays.
Nowadays I cycle alone as I am not fast enough to keep up with our local club and in any case I cycle mostly on weekdays. Suits me fine as I can stop and start anytime I like for whatever reason suits me. Now with a recumbent trike it is easier on my own anyway.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sounds good to me. I will go with that^_^
PS.....I always knew tou were a nice lady.

I have my moments..

Unless crossed, in which case I can draw myself up to my full 5'10" and let my adversary know precisely how things stand :laugh:

I think a lot of people mistake introversion for shyness or social anxiety. I'm an introvert who works with people in my chosen profession; I can deal with that, but I need to Introvert at the end of the day; I can have long conversations with certain friends ,but I dislike large gatherings.

I also dislike making phone calls to strangers; in fact, I'm putting off calling someone now...

Same here, I used to be socially anxious, now I realise that everyone is mostly too busy with their own thoughts to really be 'thinking' very much about me.

So I can be quite brave now, and get up in front of roomfuls of people and speak to them, if the occasion demands.
I even quite enjoy it.

But I'm definitely with you on the last part.

I always find that initial explaining of who I am, and what I want, really stressful.

And I don't really like it when people call me.
I'm always worried I'm going to find myself agreeing to something, that I don't really want to do..

But I've got a call to make, that I've been putting off for weeks.

So I'm just going off to make it right now.. :okay:

So I'm just going off to make it right now.. :okay:

I made my call. How about you?

Milzy

Guru
I'm kind of in middle too. On long group rides sometimes the leader will shout chain gang, usually In a head wind. Then one can feel judged, is my spacing good enough, is my pull at the right pace, have I done a long enough turn? Sometimes it's just nice been a lone wolf.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am generally happy enough spending time by myself. These days I am developing software at home so I can go days or even sometimes a week or so without seeing anybody other than strangers at the local shops. That's fine.

When I am out cycling by myself, that's fine too but when I fancy some company on the bike I'll reach out on CycleChat and organise a ride.

I'm ok nattering to a few fellow cyclists out on the bike for a while, but I don't enjoy large gatherings. Every time I hear about touts selling tickets for festivals, concerts etc. at inflated prices I think that I would pay those inflated prices to AVOID going! :laugh:

Our family didn't have a phone when I was young. We finally had one installed when I was in my teens but I hated using it. If nobody else was in, I wouldn't answer it! I used to get some flak from folks for that. Even now there are only a few people who I like to phone up - I much prefer contact by texting or email.

Yes - cycling is good for introverts, but also provides opportunities for occasional bursts of more extrovert behaviour.

Last edited:
I'm pretty well much the same when it comes to the phone @ColinJ and I do prefer communicating in writing, whether by sms, e-mail or on the Book of Faces. As I've said upthread, my hearing isn't so good, which probably compounds the issue.

The only person I'm happy actually calling is my mum. :blush:

Although oddly, like @mudsticks I'm quite happy standing up in front of a room of people and doing a presentation. I enjoy imparting knowledge - or my passion for a subject - to other people.

Top Bottom