Advantages of cycling for Introverts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Reynard
An odd post from me but am intrigued
Why did you wow my post above rather than just like.
Slip of the finger/keyboard.

No, not odd at all to ask... :okay:

It was a "man, some people can be weird / touchy / overreact" moment regarding what you said about someone walking out on you, and since there's not a :wacko: icon to choose from, the :ohmy: was the closest I could find. :blush:

I've lived with someone like that, know what it's like.

No, not odd at all to ask... :okay:

It was a "man, some people can be weird / touchy / overreact" moment regarding what you said about someone walking out on you, and since there's not a :wacko: icon to choose from, the :ohmy: was the closest I could find. :blush:

I've lived with someone like that, know what it's like.
Thanks for nice reply/taking my odd question well.
The background to mine was definitely wow.
Discussion with an Italian in italy ajbout an italian political thing (best avoided i suppose)
In fact it was just a question i asked which, to my total surprise, caused the walk.
He not only walked out but then phoned his partner at the table from the street telling her to walk (to her credit she passed) and then totally refused to speak to me/blanked me in all future encounters.
Incredibly childish.
So, yes, wow :smile:
Thanks for tolerating thread divert.

Thanks for nice reply/taking my odd question well.
The background to mine was definitely wow.
Discussion with an Italian in italy ajbout an italian political thing (best avoided i suppose)
In fact it was just a question i asked which, to my total surprise, caused the walk.
He not only walked out but then phoned his partner at the table from the street telling her to walk (to her credit she passed) and then totally refused to speak to me/blanked me in all future encounters.
Incredibly childish.
So, yes, wow :smile:
Thanks for tolerating thread divert.

Yep, that's very definitely a "people are strange" one... :scratch:

On the main theme, was often shy as a teen/young adult.
Now pretty much gone. Long gone.
Can be quiet but perhaps because i have nothing to say on a topic/think folk not worth responding to.
On teeth theme introduced above :smile:
Perhaps inclined to actually mistrust folk who too consciously hide their teeth.
One of the most expressive phrases in the English language i think, which can say so much with the simplest words is:
S/he had a smile like a cat's arse.
(Shakespeare probably)

pjd57

Veteran
I enjoy time cycling alone.
I occasionally ride with a pal which I also enjoy.
I still go on social rides from time to time. I like the cycling and some chat along the way but often end up leaving the group if they have too long a stop in the middle of the run.
I'm not sure if it's a physical thing , not wanting to get cold etc or more a difficulty in chatting when I'd rather be cycling.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I don't know what the hell I am :laugh:
Sometimes I can be a bit wacky/stupid and cheery but only with my kids and fiancee. I can talk to the good lady until the cows come home and then some, but only with her. I've never been able to just 'talk' at ease with anyone, not even my own mum. It doesn't come naturally to me. But on the other hand, when I've been out with cycle clubs/groups/meets and I've witnessed other cyclists talking to each other and generally having a good natter or laugh, it saddens me that I'm missing out on that.
I left my last cycling group because at the end of each ride I found myself depressed that I wasn't 'one of the gang' as it were despite joining specifically for some company whilst I rode.
Maybe I'm just an oddball :unsure:

pjd57

Veteran
I don't know what the hell I am :laugh:
Sometimes I can be a bit wacky/stupid and cheery but only with my kids and fiancee. I can talk to the good lady until the cows come home and then some, but only with her. I've never been able to just 'talk' at ease with anyone, not even my own mum. It doesn't come naturally to me. But on the other hand, when I've been out with cycle clubs/groups/meets and I've witnessed other cyclists talking to each other and generally having a good natter or laugh, it saddens me that I'm missing out on that.
I left my last cycling group because at the end of each ride I found myself depressed that I wasn't 'one of the gang' as it were despite joining specifically for some company whilst I rode.
Maybe I'm just an oddball :unsure:
Doesn't sound odd to me

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have always felt like a bit of 'an outsider looking in' but occasionally break out of it.

I used to go with a friend on a 2 week cycling 'training camp' holiday in Spain every March but one year he didn't go so I went alone . I would probably have spent the whole 2 weeks without speaking to anyone until I volunteered to lead a small group on an extended ride towards the end of week 2. The main group were doing a fairly simple ride up and down the coast road but I remembered an interesting hilly inland variation and asked if anybody fancied joining me. There was an older American couple with us. The husband liked the sound of my route and came with me, while his wife was happy to do the easier ride to a coastal cafe. They invited me to join them at the hotel restaurant that evening. They said that I should look them up if ever I went to their part of the USA (near Seattle) - never did go to the States, and am now very unlikely to.

I have had people get angry with me on New Year's Eve because apparently everyone 'should be happy' and I was 'spoiling the atmosphere'! :wacko:

I sneaked out of my sister's wedding reception because the more frenetic the festivities became, the less I wanted to be there.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I would not make a good politician as I am not good at inconsequential chat. When I was on the Community Council I was supposed to join a group visiting a care home. I chickened out. What on earth do you say to people who are mostly immobile and in some cases clearly not on the same planet?
Before anyone shouts at me for inappropriate descriptions I would point out that I have visited such places only too often. My late wife went in for respite care from time to time and hated the place which was a very well run and caring establishment but even in her diminished state she had nothing in common with the others residents she had to mix with.
It does remind me of the story of the MP visiting such a place.
“ Do you know who I am?” Says MP to resident and the reply
“ No but if you ask matron over there she will tell you.”

Kryton521

Über Member
Not going to quote too many here. But those like me, that feel like the are the odd one out. Or, The outsider looking in, I was diagnosed in 2017, at the age of 56, that I'm slightly autistic. Don't wear it as a badge of honour but now understand why, when at a party or event, in a crowd, I feel isolated and disconnected.
Up to each individual if they want to be diagnosed or not. For me, and most of those of my age, too late to change but there is counselling to help deal with everyday situations....... Or just celebrate quietly, on your own. In your own home!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm slightly autistic.
Would that be Asperger's syndrome, per chance? I have 2 nephews with Asperger's, but you would hardly know it (certainly in one case anyway). I reckon, having done some online tests and with some self diagnosis, that I might have a wee dose of that myself. At my age, I don't see the point in official diagnosis, and anyway - for me it's not such a big problem, I've already adjusted my life to suit. :smile:

Kryton521

Über Member
Would that be Asperger's syndrome, per chance? I have 2 nephews with Asperger's, but you would hardly know it (certainly in one case anyway). I reckon, having done some online tests and with some self diagnosis, that I might have a wee dose of that myself. At my age, I don't see the point in official diagnosis, and anyway - for me it's not such a big problem, I've already adjusted my life to suit. :smile:

Not sure to be honest. I'm probably just rude and unpleasant....... Unless I put my mind to it.

It was odd being told that I was autistic because I came out feeling both very angry, [how different my life could have been] and upset, funnily enough at how my life could have gone.
But I'm old now so no one cares, not even me!

2020_09_29_Commute.jpg

Found another one this week: I had to go to a (socially distanced) occasion where there would be people I didn't know, so I took the Xtracycle (seen above) because then people would talk about it and I wouldn't have to figure out how to make conversations.

It worked.

Top Bottom