Advantages of cycling for Introverts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A friend who works in mental health told me that extroverts get energy from social interaction, and introverts find social interaction requires energy. Makes sense to me.

She also said a rough guide is the degree to which a person habitually shows their teeth. Big toothy smile often equals major extrovert.
No teeth visible often equals intro.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling is the same as mountaineering, an introspective sport with strong emphasis on outdoor skills like pacing, route-finding and so on. If not solitary then practiced with one or two trusted accomplices.

Can relate to all that..
Although I reckon I'm about 60% intro 40% extro.

I love interesting company, and conversation.

But I can get that from myself too.

And I definitely need to spend a good chunk of time by myself so as not to get irritated by other humans - however nice they are.

I think identifying, and understanding those needs in ourselves would reduce a lot of interpersonal confluct.

I'm not totally sure that the world is set up for extroverts, they just tend to make a whole load more noise.. :hello:

You have to find a way of making some space.

Luckily my work allows me to do that.

And I very rarely cycle with others, cycling is utterly selfish 'me' time, so having to keep up with, or wait for others, impinges on all that.

If I'm on tour I might randomly hook up with other cyclists for a few hours or days.

But oh the luxury of being able to make one's excuses, and push off in glorious solitude again. :angel:

Thanks for saving me the time of writing my own post :okay:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
A friend who works in mental health told me that extroverts get energy from social interaction, and introverts find social interaction requires energy. Makes sense to me.

She also said a rough guide is the degree to which a person habitually shows their teeth. Big toothy smile often equals major extrovert.
I can relate to that. I find big gatherings (particularly the large family end-of-year type) exhausting. I just prefer to be alone, and cycling is perfect for that. Fortunately for me, my role at work doesn't require many meetings (I'm a software engineer).

Hadn't done this test for about 30 years, I appear more extrovert nowadays, used to be a split of both

https://febiassessment.com/test/eysencks-personality-inventory-epi-extroversionintroversion/

I used to administer these and other personality profiles almost thirty years ago when I was in HR and always found them useful as a guide to areas to explore in selection rather than definitive.

I just tried this one and am not really surprised to be described as melancholic with a tendency to introversion. Pretty much how I have always fared in these profiles. Not 100% true, but in the right ball-park.

This fits in with my love of solitary cycling, walking etc.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My cycling keeps me sane whilst dealing with my Good Ladies health problems.
I hear you , what with the wife and sons health problems i need to destress and if i dont get out at the weekend like the last few weeks im more grumpy than usual ... if thats possible .If i dont get out i seek solace in comfort food etc which is a bad circle to gte in im fat , unhappy , east goodies , im fat :sad: ...i cycle im motivated to eat better

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I used to administer these and other personality profiles almost thirty years ago when I was in HR and always found them useful as a guide to areas to explore in selection rather than definitive.

I just tried this one and am not really surprised to be described as melancholic with a tendency to introversion. Pretty much how I have always fared in these profiles. Not 100% true, but in the right ball-park.

This fits in with my love of solitary cycling, walking etc.

I'm also wondering what the personality profile of your average forum user is, as regards all this, compared with the public in general.

It strikes me as well suited to a certain more measured personality type too.

You can come and go, as you please,
There's no 'forced' interaction.

And no matter how pointless, or irrelevant, or quixotic your comment might happen to be you get to say it, before some more garrulous type interrupts, or talks over the top of you, before you've properly finished.

Introverts don’t need that external stimulus and validation like extroverts do. Cycling allows you to occupy that inner place in quiet places in nature.

This, in spades. Nothing better than finding a place to stop, with a bench and a nice view and just chilling. I used to enjoy fishing for the exact same reason.

And today, I've spent a wonderful day working on a painting and listening to the football on the radio.

That's a good summing up. I work with people all day, specifically people who often experienced rejection. I trained myself to give a big smile when people arrive. This could explain why people think I'm more extroverted than I am.

Interesting. Have recently been accused of being aggressive because during a conversation with another person who stormed out (to my mind for no good reason) i supposedly bared my teeth.
Must admit sounded barmy to me. Never seen myself as the MGM lion.

Top Bottom