Adventure/gravel bike recommendations (women)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathemg

Hi
I am new to cycling. I think a gravel/adventure would be good as I want to cycle with my young son in the park/off road as well as possibly use it for commuting. I have a £1k cycle to work voucher, so I want a bike that comes in under this as want to buy helmet and lock too. I like the Boardman Adv 8.8 (as recommended to me) but my voucher won’t work at Halfords. Most bikes I’ve found are men’s bikes. Does this really matter if I buy the right bike for my height (168cm)?

(Ps I have found Specialized Diverge E5 2021 - Gravel Bike in stock. Quite pricey though for a beginner, or is this a good option?)

Please can you give me suggestions that ideally come in under £1k. Also I think I want a D lock that I can attach to the frame. And what about a helmet? What should I look for that’s safe but good value for money.

Thank you,
Cathem

vickster

Legendary Member
1m68 is around 5’6? A small men’s bike should be ok, you’ll want to budget for a women’s saddle in your voucher and possibly a narrower handlebar. How much is the Diverge?

can you use Evans? The pinnacle Arkose models are good vfm

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d1-2020-women-s-gravel-bike-EV339953

On the helmet front, one that fits and is comfortable, try on when you try the bike out for size

lock wise, Abus ones come with frame bracket or can buy one

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
You're taller than me, and all 3 of my bikes are men's or unisex bikes. The only thing I swapped out was the saddle for a female specific model. But had I bought female specific bikes, I still would have swapped out the saddle. If the bike fits, you like how it feels when you ride, then there is no reason not to buy it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi
I am new to cycling. I think a gravel/adventure would be good as I want to cycle with my young son in the park/off road as well as possibly use it for commuting. I have a £1k cycle to work voucher, so I want a bike that comes in under this as want to buy helmet and lock too. I like the Boardman Adv 8.8 (as recommended to me) but my voucher won’t work at Halfords. Most bikes I’ve found are men’s bikes. Does this really matter if I buy the right bike for my height (168cm)?

(Ps I have found Specialized Diverge E5 2021 - Gravel Bike in stock. Quite pricey though for a beginner, or is this a good option?)

Please can you give me suggestions that ideally come in under £1k. Also I think I want a D lock that I can attach to the frame. And what about a helmet? What should I look for that’s safe but good value for money.

Thank you,
Cathem

You'll need some decent cycling shorts too.

DRM

Guru
Don't just think women's specific bike, any gravel bike that's the correct fit will do, many manufacturers have a "pink it & shrink it" attitude to marketing a women's specific bike, as others have said a suitable saddle that you find comfy is a good shout, re the bike a new stem may be needed to so your not too stretched out, other than that enjoy riding whatever you eventually buy.

Julia9054

Guru
Don't just think women's specific bike, any gravel bike that's the correct fit will do, many manufacturers have a "pink it & shrink it" attitude to marketing a women's specific bike, as others have said a suitable saddle that you find comfy is a good shout, re the bike a new stem may be needed to so your not too stretched out, other than that enjoy riding whatever you eventually buy.
Many manufacturers also have the attitude that average height adult male equals average height adult human meaning that smaller women have massively reduced choice.
Not a problem here, obviously, as the person asking the question is a height that will fit easily what is available for men

DRM

Guru
Many manufacturers also have the attitude that average height adult male equals average height adult human meaning that smaller women have massively reduced choice.
Not a problem here, obviously, as the person asking the question is a height that will fit easily what is available for men
The important thing to remember, regardless of gender is the correct size frame, a different length stem, seat post with/without layback, can make a good bike become a fantastic bike, the important thing to remember is to go sit on a few bikes in the showroom, see how they feel, then after you have ridden your new bike you should be able to work out which bits will fine tune it into being perfect, the usual culprit being a better saddle, your backside will thank you for it !

Jimidh

Veteran
Hi

Thank you,
Cathem
My wife has a Diverge and it’s a great bike. She’s only 5ft 1 so had to go for the women’s frame.

As above no need to go for women specific frame if the bike fits you. Will give you more options .

Top Bottom