Adventure road bike for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What about this Jamis then?

https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-renegade-exile-2019-adventure-road-bike-EV339171

Well within my budget, doesn't have the best components but I'm a newbie so would I even notice the difference from top of the class to average components? I don't think so

It's fine, make sure you get to try one out for size. It's got more frame mounts than you can shake a stick at !! Components are fine, just look after the bike, and it will look after you.

vickster

Legendary Member
There is a comment about toe overlap in the review. Might be something to consider when fitting mudguards (which you will definitely want on Scottish roads esp for club rides)

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

There is a comment about toe overlap in the review. Might be something to consider when fitting mudguards (which you will definitely want on Scottish roads esp for club rides)

I've read that review. Looks like it's about full mudguards. In case I bought this bike I'd have to use shorter mudguards

vickster

Legendary Member
I've read that review. Looks like it's about full mudguards. In case I bought this bike I'd have to use shorter mudguards
I’d get a bike that works properly with full mudguards. The bike components, your feet, back / arse and clubmates (and any other cyclists you encounter) will thank you! You live somewhere wet, get a bike that’s fit for purpose (or it’s really not a bargain)

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
London rd is a great all round bike , fun to ride, on and off the road. Love mine i'd be happy to have it as my only bike.

Also worth having a look at is the Boardman ADV 8.8 - it's currently £640 in Halfords - and it has TRP Spyre brakes which are great for the money. It looks great to my eyes - it's got Shimano Sora, which is a very underrated groupset in my experience, and good gearing choices for anyone who is a new rider or lives in hilly areas.

Add the wide tires in and I reckon it's definitely worth a look.

Edit: it's also well under budget meaning you have more money for accessories. Take a look at the Cycle To Work scheme too if your workplace does it.
I had a Boardman 8.9 adventure for a few days, did not like it, the front derailleur could not be adjusted
properly, it was Tiagra, was told a change to 105 front derailleur would solve it, something to do
with flexing bracket on the Tiagra one, but it was a loaner bike so did not matter to me,
the adv even with the carbon fork and wide tyres which have a low weight limit vibrated and
made my hands buzz, I now have a 200.00 euro second hand bike that beats it for comfort and handling.

Only saying, it is important the OP tries some bikes and get a feel for how they handle, how they deal with
vibrations which will drive you nuts if you get one that tingles your hands, or even vibes through
the seat, you can change a seat, but vibes are to be avoided, they will tire you, numb you and annoy you to no end.

I would take Cannondale, I find sora components to work very well if you choose that route, (sora is 9 speed).

Most important of all, the right fit, you want to get a comfortable position on the seat, and have the seat at the right height, meaning your leg is not fully or overly extended when at the bottom of the pedal stroke, then ensure you can reach the bars, if you ride more upright make sure you can attain that position, some people ride holding the tops of the bar or rest their hands on the shifters and only go into the drops occasionally, which type of rider are you, if you are not so flexible get a shorter reach, if you will be riding in town , city or built up areas with lots of traffic, then a more upright position is needed, this allows you to see more of what’s going on around you and be able to react to unfolding situations, no point in only being able to see the ground, when you need to see traffic lights, signposts, people walking, cars scooting in front of you, narrowing the space where you need to ride to
a narrow strip that you won’t fit in, then you crash, take paint off a car and a whole hassle issues, just some things to think about.

Disk brakes are great, especially in the wet, getting stopped is a must,
good rim brakes are fine too, but they wear your rim down especially
in wet conditions,
mudguards like others have mentioned are a must, you will soak yourself
and anyone behind you as well if you don’t have them.

Take a look at this sizing chart, all manufacturers have their own,
it will give you some idea of what will fit you, and when you try out
the size you think fits, you will understand better what the measurements mean.
DO NOT think one manufacturers size 52 will be the same as another’s, the measurements
in their charts will show you where they differ, thus a 52 in one brand may fit you a lot
better than a 52 in another.
https://static.evanscycles.com/prod...able/Cannondale_CAADX_2019_Geometry_Chart.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Thanks guys, very good advice especially about looking at the bike size charts and geometry.

So far I've found measures for the "front centre" for 3 of the bikes I've got on my initial list:

- Cannondale Caadx tiagra = 62.1cm
- Specialized diverge e5 = 60.4cm
- Bianchi via nirone 7 allroad = 60.2cm

All those measures are for the recommended frame size given my height (sure, I cannot say this is correct until I try all of them but just as a start).

So, on paper, the cannondale should be the better bike from the toe overlap point of view. Obviously, the cannondale does not take fixed mudguards, only clip-on. Are clip-on's any good?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a lot heavier than you and was quite safe and steady in all weather - aside from snow - on a Sportive bike on 28's. Those giving you dire warnings of doom and gloom are over egging the pudding. You would be fine.

If you're not venturing off road or onto poor surfaces then an adventure machine is rather pointless.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks guys, very good advice especially about looking at the bike size charts and geometry.

So far I've found measures for the "front centre" for 3 of the bikes I've got on my initial list:

All those measures are for the recommended frame size given my height (sure, I cannot say this is correct until I try all of them but just as a start).

So, on paper, the cannondale should be the better bike from the toe overlap point of view. Obviously, the cannondale does not take fixed mudguards, only clip-on. Are clip-on's any good?
Not really no if you ride in all weathers (flimsy and prone to rub). The road bike ones are pretty skinny too, so may not even work with a wider tyre (>25mm)
The MTB ones are pretty ugly

Here shows mudguards on a CAADX disk brake,
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fitting-sks-mudguards-to-caadx-105-disc-picture-heavy.193642/

Top Bottom