Adventure road bike for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Update: did my first test ride yesterday. Tried a Boardman adv 8.8.

2 things that literally blew my mind:

- how light it was. Could literally lift it up with one finger
- how fast and reactive it was

Last time I rode a bike before yesterday was over a decade ago when I was a skinny teenager (compared to the chunkster I am now). I had a very heavy, very clunky, very slow mountain bike. The Boardman felt like a ferrari.

Honestly, I don't even know if I need to try any other bike...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In that case don't, go for the Boardman.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Last time I rode a bike before yesterday was over a decade ago when I was a skinny teenager (compared to the chunkster I am now). I had a very heavy, very clunky, very slow mountain bike. The Boardman felt like a ferrari.

After one test ride you’ve already got that cycling bug, love it!
Go buy the Boardman.

If you join British Cycling, I think it’s £36.90/year by direct debit then you enjoy all membership benefits including third party insurance plus you get 10% off at Halfords and discount from other retailers too.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/m...MI5rmos-Kn5AIVlOh3Ch1u6QQKEAAYASACEgLlVPD_BwE

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Check whether it’ll take proper mudguards...there are threads on the forum suggesting it’s a problem with the range, at least the 8.9
Eg
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/b...e-bike-can’t-find-mudguards-to-fit-it.251379/

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

After one test ride you’ve already got that cycling bug, love it!
Go buy the Boardman.

If you join British Cycling, I think it’s £36.90/year by direct debit then you enjoy all membership benefits including third party insurance plus you get 10% off at Halfords and discount from other retailers too.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/m...MI5rmos-Kn5AIVlOh3Ch1u6QQKEAAYASACEgLlVPD_BwE

Thanks for the suggestion!

10% off on purchases from halfords and cycle republic.....can't say no to that!

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Check whether it’ll take proper mudguards...there are threads on the forum suggesting it’s a problem with the range, at least the 8.9
Eg
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/b...e-bike-can’t-find-mudguards-to-fit-it.251379/

Thanks, I did ask that yesterday and the guys at cycle republic said the bike does take mudguards and they can fit them for me. Whether they can actually find a set (a proper one, no clip-on's) that properly fit, I guess we'll have to wait and see ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, I did ask that yesterday and the guys at cycle republic said the bike does take mudguards and they can fit them for me. Whether they can actually find a set (a proper one, no clip-on's) that properly fit, I guess we'll have to wait and see ^_^
Given your location, I wouldn’t commit to a bike that can’t take proper full length fixed mudguards like the SKS chromoplastics

If they say it will take mudguards get them to source and fit them. The front fork fitting will probably be under the fork and awkward. A normal brake attachment won't work. It also looks like the stay attachment is inside the fork, again, only a few mudguards will fit there. The other thing with all gravel bikes is clearance for the guards to fit on a tighter geometry frame and wider tyres. You probably need a flatter guard and it will need careful fitting around the stays and near the front mech. If it's too wide it'll impair the front mech movement.

So if they say the can source and fit them, let them and then check all the things I've mentioned that they haven't completely cobbled it together to get them on. Ultimately guards on a gravel bike are a compromise. Off road you'll pick up stones, sticks and mud which will jam on the guard and that's why most don't have them. Traditional mtn bike guards on the downtube and seatpost will work but they look frickin odd on a road bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's certainly going to be challenging to get guards to fit. There aren't any eyes on the bottom of the fork and the front mech will interfere with the rear.

boardmanadv8.8-bottombracket.jpg

boardmanadv8.8-drivetrain.jpg

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

yes, no worries, I'm not going to do a thing. I'm going to let them fit the mudguards. I'll just watch and make sure I know how to remove them/put them back on when I need to.

There aren't many photos of this bike but on both instagram and google images I've seen a few photos with full mudguards on so I'm not worried
You're right there are, so I'm sure they can fit some. The clearances look tight though, so it could be if you do use it serious;y off road you might need to take them off. A case of suck it and see.

vickster

Legendary Member
yes, no worries, I'm not going to do a thing. I'm going to let them fit the mudguards. I'll just watch and make sure I know how to remove them/put them back on when I need to.
Make sure they know that you're on,y taking the bike if it fits proper mudguards

There are plenty of Adventure bikes that will, like the Planet X London road I believe

Narrower tyres will make that bike lively, bigger chain ring further down the road
will have you flying along, they are indeed a light bike, nice flare on the
drops too make them comfortable, and the seat is quite good too,
they do handle uneven road surfaces well, just heavy enough not to dance about
under you when out of the seat on bumpy parts.
Will be interesting to see mudguards fitted, they really are a must in our climate.
I like sora better than the next level up, hopefully you will too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom