Adventure road bike for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good point, the OP needs to be sure before committing.
He should go testride and ask the retailer the question (and get them to fit the wretched things after purchase if needed :laugh: )

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Yes, you can't fit fixed mudguards on the new models.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-tiagra-2019-cyclocross-bike-EV338209 here on the Q&A section they do say you can just fit clip-on's

Anyways, from the replies on this thread and all the research I've done, it appears clear that there is no such thing as the perfect bike, especially at my budget. I will have to make sacrifices, whether it will be having lower quality components, being able to fit mudguards, or having to get the bike serviced more often because the wheels are crap. I'll just try a few bikes and pick my poison ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-tiagra-2019-cyclocross-bike-EV338209 here on the Q&A section they do say you can just fit clip-on's

Anyways, from the replies on this thread and all the research I've done, it appears clear that there is no such thing as the perfect bike, especially at my budget. I will have to make sacrifices, whether it will be having lower quality components, being able to fit mudguards, or having to get the bike serviced more often because the wheels are crap. I'll just try a few bikes and pick my poison ^_^
The Malt and London Road both meet your needs, the Rival version of the latter is a great spec for £800 (105/Ultegra equivalent)

si_c

Guru

At the budget you have set you don't have to compromise much at all. I think you've picked to much up on cautions that people have made here, but I wouldn't dwell on them unduly, particularly regarding wheels. Shortlist a couple of bikes which have mudguards, are in your budget and then decide on price and looks. Anything with Sora or Tiagra is going to be great, I'd avoid Promax brakes though as they have a poor reputation. I would consider spending a bit of money later to upgrade your brakes to something like TRP Spyres - they are some of the best mechanical disc brakes available.

For what it's worth, I really like the look of the Malt.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Advise against dropping £800 straight off. I got a decent used Surly Pacer years ago to get back into riding. Steel frame and 105 groupset for what might be £300 nowadays. Could take fat tyres for off-road stuff. Bought some decent wheels once I'd saved a bit. All in its cost me around £100 a year in bits averaging 7000km

I got this beauty last week. Commute is great fun, had great ride along canals at weekend too. In Evans sale £750 . Serious 650x 47 hoops . Pinnacle pyrolite

IMG_20190818_132316337_HDR-01.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Also worth having a look at is the Boardman ADV 8.8 - it's currently £640 in Halfords - and it has TRP Spyre brakes which are great for the money. It looks great to my eyes - it's got Shimano Sora, which is a very underrated groupset in my experience, and good gearing choices for anyone who is a new rider or lives in hilly areas.

Add the wide tires in and I reckon it's definitely worth a look.

Edit: it's also well under budget meaning you have more money for accessories. Take a look at the Cycle To Work scheme too if your workplace does it.

I'm going to do a test ride on this bike. On paper it looks like it's got everything I need and I read a brilliant review on road.cc

Cheers!

si_c

Guru
650 is a fairly new MTB size. You'll find choice of tyres rather limited for gravel bikes compared to 700 but shouldn't be too much of a problem.
It's actually a very old french sizing! 650b wheels are of similar diameter to 700c "normal" wheels once you account for the larger volume tires, a 47mm wheel at 650b has a circumference of 2100 vs 2135 for a 25mm road tire or around 5mm difference in radius.

It's actually a very old french sizing! 650b wheels are of similar diameter to 700c "normal" wheels once you account for the larger volume tires, a 47mm wheel at 650b has a c

135 for a 25mm road tire or around 5mm difference in radius.

And it seems to go like silky smooth poooop of a shovel too

Floating Bombus

Somebody mentioned frame mounts earlier. If you have any intention of carrying any luggage, frame mounts are good! The more the merrier, particularly on the fork, where one allows you to use low-rider panniers but two (or even three) and you can carry all sorts of other luggage types, such as Anything Cages and their various derivatives.

Top Bottom