advertising cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
i went into a DIY store yesterday to buy some sink unblocker . they had 2 types , one for the kitchen that said it removes all food waste and did other things to clean the pipe and claimed to be super strong . the other one was just a general purpose one . both had the same ingredients and chemical strengths but the kitchen one was £2 move . bloody con artist these companies as it was the same company that produces both .

dont get me started on pain killer tablets

is there not some law to stop this immoral practice from going on

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Or people could do what you did, read the label and buy the cheaper one.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's not a con, unless you're a bit naive.

how many bottles containing detergents are marketed as bathroom cleaner, kitchen cleaner, worktop cleaner, glass cleaner, bath cleaner and so on?

mustang1

Guru
This is how I see it:

You can either spend time reading the label and save 2 quid and do that for each item on your shopping list.

Or you can read the title, spend extra and save time. Depends how you roll. When I'm older I'll have less money and more time so I will change my ways.

BUT yeah it's all branding/marketing/smooth talking/conning: call it what you will.

I bet the ingredients weren't identical.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
whilst as you can over.worry about coupe of quid I do tend to read labels for this sort of thing to check I'm getting "the good stuff" If I was after sink unblocker I be looking for jar of caustic soda - so if it was labelled "sink unblocker" I'd.look at label to see if it was caustic soda as opposed to, I don't know - washing up liquid and marmelade in a proprietary mixture

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been watching YouTube videos this afternoon and getting rather annoyed at the embedded car ads. The Jaguar one particularly. Not only was the car driven aggressively, but the video producers somehow managed to find unclogged urban streets to drive it down. I had visions of cyclists and pedestrians being swatted aside as the car hurtled round yet another bend.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Or just remove the trap and clean it outside..add a little bleach after refitting ,job done
most stuff these days is pish weak and seldom does as claimed..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
One Shot is your friend.. It's 97% sulphuric acid. You can get it on ebay or Amazon. You really don't need the misery of a visit to a DIY shed.

{Sorry, it's been a busy day on the drain front at Chateau Slowmotion.....}

winjim

Smash the cistern
One Shot is your friend.. It's 97% sulphuric acid. You can get it on ebay or Amazon. You really don't need the misery of a visit to a DIY shed.

{Sorry, it's been a busy day on the drain front at Chateau Slowmotion.....}
Be careful with that stuff. Don't put it anywhere near any other cleaning chemicals, especially hydroxides, but especially especially hypochlorite bleaches. Seriously.

Top Bottom