advertising cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Be careful with that stuff. Don't put it anywhere near any other cleaning chemicals, especially hydroxides, but especially especially hypochlorite bleaches. Seriously.
Not a good idea to stuff it down the trap when there's some sodium hydroxide lurking below, that sort of thing???:whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not a good idea to stuff it down the trap when there's some sodium hydroxide lurking below, that sort of thing???:whistle:
Maybe wear some eye protection :smile:

TVC

Sainsburys Ibuprofen 49p for 16 tablets. Nutrofen with tv ads and a shiny box £2.49 for 16 tablets. Exactly the same active ingredient in the same dose. A drug out of copyright sold just on marketing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Prescriptions and over the counter..so many times you pay more unless the chemist says oh this is only £4, tho thats nothing to do with marketing

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sainsburys Ibuprofen 49p for 16 tablets. Nutrofen with tv ads and a shiny box £2.49 for 16 tablets. Exactly the same active ingredient in the same dose. A drug out of copyright sold just on marketing.
Branded medicines have been shown to be more effective than generic. The placebo effect seems to work through adverts and shiny packaging.

Wasn't there a thing recently about a company selling exactly the same painkiller at different prices depending on what they labelled it for: skeletal pain, period pain etc

Reactions: TVC

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Be careful with that stuff. Don't put it anywhere near any other cleaning chemicals, especially hydroxides, but especially especially hypochlorite bleaches. Seriously.

Remember doing that as (home) chemistry experiment. Had an outstandingly good junior school texbook with instructions for that sort of thing. We used sodium bisulohate as a substitute for sulphuric acid - which is harder to get when you're 10. Domestos sufficed for the hypochlorite. Loads of yellow clouds of chlorine, collected in a jar over water. Best done outside - we were quite safety concious to be fair. An other good one is making oxygen from hyrdogen peroxide - smash up old batteries to get the manganese dioxide you need as a catalyst.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Branded medicines have been shown to be more effective than generic. The placebo effect seems to work through adverts and shiny packaging.

Wasn't there a thing recently about a company selling exactly the same painkiller at different prices depending on what they labelled it for: skeletal pain, period pain etc

i think some people need to try real pain tho..

Jimidh

Veteran
  • Branded medicines have been shown to be more effective than generic. The placebo effect seems to work through adverts and shiny packaging.

The power of the Placebo - reminds me of a story when I was a young pharmacist. I had this old dear who swore blind that the betnovate rd cream I made for up her speciallly was much better than the stuff in the tubes.

Little did she know that all I did was squirt the tube into a glass jar!!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say generic sainsburys at 49p for 16 is still quite a lot

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's all about adding value to a brand. A skin cream with homeopathic amounts of aloe vera juice will sell for more than one without, as long as aloe vera is mentioned on the label. Luxury goods don't sell if they are too cheap; who would buy a Rolex watch if it only cost £100?

screenman

Legendary Member
It's all about adding value to a brand. A skin cream with homeopathic amounts of aloe vera juice will sell for more than one without, as long as aloe vera is mentioned on the label. Luxury goods don't sell if they are too cheap; who would buy a Rolex watch if it only cost £100?

Paid £5 for mine in Turkey.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Paid £5 for mine in Turkey.

Bought from the Genuine Fake Watch Shop at Ephesus?

1934062_109161353329_7099046_n.jpg

Top Bottom