Adverts for illegal ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Terribly illegal and eventually the system had to face the fact that mass civil disobedience trumps all the laws and regulation that the system can impose
Exactly, if the public just get on and use them, which folk are already doing. Then legalization will follow

OP
OP
E
You will notice that the bike is being distributed by a Spanish company. UK Laws are almost certainly not relevant unless they are to do with import duty.

Yep. They are just being the middleman for the Spanish firm.

I don't think that is true
If I take over a local shop - say forexample something the size of a small M&S rosomething
then fill if up with big TV screens connected to a computer

then allow people to put adverts on a screen for money

then I am responsible tfor the legality of the adverts - by UK laws not the laws in the country where the company paying me comes from

as an extreme example - is a US company advertised and supplied guns then I would be jumped on damn quick
but that advert might be legal in the state where the company is based

anyone actually know how this works??

Alex321

Veteran
I don't think that is true
If I take over a local shop - say forexample something the size of a small M&S rosomething
then fill if up with big TV screens connected to a computer

then allow people to put adverts on a screen for money

then I am responsible tfor the legality of the adverts - by UK laws not the laws in the country where the company paying me comes from

as an extreme example - is a US company advertised and supplied guns then I would be jumped on damn quick
but that advert might be legal in the state where the company is based

anyone actually know how this works??

It doesn't matter where you are, it is where the seller is operating from that matters.

If the adverts were published in a UK paper publication, then they would be classed as operating in the UK, even if the sales were fulfilled from Spain.

But with web adverts, they can't rationally be expected to comply with the advertising law of every country the web page may be seen in.

In your scenario above though, you would be operating in the UK when you fill the shop with TV screens that people could advertise on. So you then have to abide by UK advertising law.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or we wait for 2025 when electric vehicles are liable for VED. Which at present may include e-assist bikes, but will include electric bikes, plus the registration and everything that goes with it.
They'll be easier deal with, with laws that are designed to include them. It's really a case of be careful what you wish for. As was said at the last change of the regulations.

D

Deleted member 26715

On sort of the same subject this came up on my FB feed, it's Sponsored so presume get paid so they don't care, but surely it has to be illegal?

Selection_395.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran
Or we wait for 2025 when electric vehicles are liable for VED. Which at present may include e-assist bikes, but will include electric bikes, plus the registration and everything that goes with it.
They'll be easier deal with, with laws that are designed to include them. It's really a case of be careful what you wish for. As was said at the last change of the regulations.

At my age 2025 is long term. Also it approaches, probably exceeds, the life expectancy of these bicycles

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
On sort of the same subject this came up on my FB feed, it's Sponsored so presume get paid so they don't care, but surely it has to be illegal?

View attachment 693593

That’s quite definitely illegal. If they supply any licence it’s either going to be a fake or it’s a real one that’s the result of someone taking the test on the buyer’s behalf, and therefore invalid.

What are they charging for this?

There was a woman in Wales last year who sat driving tests for 150 others, charging £800 a time. She was sentenced to 8 months’ imprisonment for her scam and was ordered to pay £27,614.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63172782

A woman earned more than £28,000 by illegally sitting driving tests for other people.
Inderjeet Kaur, 30, of Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, admitted taking about 150 theory and practical tests between 2018 and 2020.
Kaur was ordered to pay £27,614 and court costs of £156 within three months, or face a 12-month jail term.
She had already been jailed for eight months for sitting tests in Swansea, Carmarthen, Birmingham and London.
A proceeds of crime hearing at Swansea Crown Court heard Kaur made £28,250 by taking tests for people who had difficulty with English.

Top Bottom