Adverts for illegal ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the back of the incident in cardiff (being 'discussed' on NACA but it seems to have descended into insults for now)

I got an advert from Groupon a couple of days ago that included an ebike

or so it said

you can find it by searching for "Groupon Monster ebike MTB"

Anyway - I looked at it out of interest and noticed that the motor on it is rated at 500W

and at no point in the advert does it say that this bike is not legal for road use
so - I think I am safe in assuming - people could buy it and use it on roads without realising that it is not legal
(clearly I am referring to UK laws and regulation here - other countries vary!)

so I send of a complaint to Groupon and have had a to and fro conversation with them over the last few days
this morning they basically came back saying they would forward it onto their supplier and, in general, just said it is not their problem - they just sell it for them

so I said I was happy to discuss it with the supplier
BUT
as they are advertising it on their site they are also responsible and should be making it clear that it is NOT road legal

does anyone know the actual laws regarding this - surely Groupon ARE responsible whether they have the expertise/knowledge or not is not relevant (e.g. if they sold guns they couldn't say "whoops didn't know")

also - anyone else seeing adverts like this selling electric motorbikes but showing them as "ebikes"

thanks

Mike

There must be a body that regulates advertising like this?

OP
OP
E
I have moaned to trading standards - not clear that they are going to do much

they did mention about reporting it to the DVLA - is this something they want to know about???

My bicycle insurance, for theft and 3rd party, comes with the conditions that my eBike is legal. Not that a criminal would care about that but for the rest of us perhaps insurance should be a requirement on an eBike?

classic33

Leg End Member
What would that solve?
To get insurance on the one mentioned, it'd have to be registered.

OP
OP
E
Sadly ot is not an offence to sell them, and they have no legal duty to give advice or instructions as to where their product can be used.

And yes, the benefit of being retired is to moan as much as we like without anyone being able to stop us.

I think that an LBS would be required to say something even if they were pretty damn certain that the client would take no notice

I have even seen "a local bike shop" sell a scooter and comment as an aside "you won't be riding on the road will you" then watching him get out of the shop and ride up the road on it

and if an LBS has to do it them a big company should have the same requirement

I think

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Asking any eBike rider for their insurance details and them being unable to provide it means their bike would either be illegal or they haven't got any.

This changes nothing.

The “eBike” you use is, I presume, an EAPC that conforms with the legislation on power output, max propulsion speed etc. You suggest that all users of these should be required to have 3rd party insurance.

The vehicle used in the fatal collision was not an EAPC but a motorcycle and, without it being registered with DVLA, the user would not be able to obtain insurance for it. As you point out, this won’t stop criminal types so why force lawful riders to pay for something that isn’t necessary?

This changes nothing.

The “eBike” you use is, I presume, an EAPC that conforms with the legislation on power output, max propulsion speed etc. You suggest that all users of these should be required to have 3rd party insurance.

The vehicle used in the fatal collision was not an EAPC but a motorcycle and, without it being registered with DVLA, the user would not be able to obtain insurance for it. As you point out, this won’t stop criminal types so why force lawful riders to pay for something that isn’t necessary?

I'd disagree that 3rd party liability insurance is not necessary. But to discuss in more detail it needs to go to NACA.

Top Bottom