Ebikes and personal effort/heat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Knowing my local climate and my commuting route, I could always dress appropriately knowing that I’d be generating considerable heat from the effort I put in on my non-ebike. Have those who switched to ebikes noticed either feeling colder (or at least not as hot) or dressing differently for the cold when using an ebike?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Knowing my local climate and my commuting route, I could always dress appropriately knowing that I’d be generating considerable heat from the effort I put in on my non-ebike. Have those who switched to ebikes noticed either feeling colder (or at least not as hot) or dressing differently for the cold when using an ebike?

I didnt buy any different kit or dress any differently from riding a non ebike…….you can still put plenty of effort in and burn up, or you can put it in top assist mode and take it a little easier. All according how far your going amd how big the battery is

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I didnt buy any different kit or dress any differently from riding a non ebike…….you can still put plenty of effort in and burn up, or you can put it in top assist mode and take it a little easier. All according how far your going amd how big the battery is

Thanks. I’m considering an ebike and it occurred to me the assistance from the motor might mean I’d not work up so much of a sweat and might have to adjust what I’d wear.

What have you got?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I bought one about 2 months ago (Merida e-Scultura 400) so it hasn't been used in the proper cold yet.
What I have found is that I still put in the same effort as I do on a non electric assist bike, the difference being I go at a slightly quicker average speed. Last weekend I cycled Ayr to Girvan and back, 55 miles, and still had 56% battery charge left.

Obviously it would be an option to take it a bit easier and make more use of the electrical assistance, and put in less effort if you want to generate less sweat.

I can recommend Ayrshire Cycle Services in Prestwick if you are looking for a Merida or Bianchi e-bike...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dress exactly the same as I do for my road bike. I have a Moustache Friday 28.7. It looks like a road bike. It is as fast as my road bike with the power turned off. It has a range of a little over 100km in eco mode. But in a recent ride I rode 270km before charging it as I ride with it switched off most of the time. It still had charge left in it.

You can put in as much or as little effort in on an electric bike. You can cruise along without a care in the world or put in a hard working session. For me, having electric assist is an add on. It does not mean I have to use it.

20220709_132602.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
I use to have to change/shower for the commute into work on the none eBike. With the eBike I cycle in with max assist in my work cloth barely out of breath. In winter I simply take the assistance level down a bit if I want to feel warmer from more exercise.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No. Reason being that I have to take a Rucksack when I use my ebike (for beefy lock, keys, puncture repair, spare cable ties etc). Thus I sweat just as much as my back can not breath.

Mike_P

Guru
Mines a Dutch Roadster hybrid so depends what it's being used for, shopping and work normal clothing other than in warm weather when MTB shorts are used for shopping trips. Other rides MTB kit

CXRAndy

Guru
The wife and I cycled 10 miles to a restaurant on our ebikes. Arrived relaxed and non sweaty. Slap up meal, then 15 miles back visiting taverns on the way. She took her smart sandals, swapped when we arrived at restaurant.

jowwy

Thanks. I’m considering an ebike and it occurred to me the assistance from the motor might mean I’d not work up so much of a sweat and might have to adjust what I’d wear.

What have you got?

I got a cube acid one…..its has the bosch performance motor and 500wh battery and 4 assist settings.

i have 2 of them, one i switched to slicks and put on carbon mtb forks for commuting.
the other is setup with decent rockshox forks and mud pluggers for the semi rural canal i sometimes go out an about on.

setting 1 just about negates the weight of said bike
setting 2 gives a gentle push along
setting 3 gives the legs a decent rest
setting 4 is fly like the wind

you have to pedal in all settings, but it gets easier with each setting.

3FCC5DB3-0F88-464D-B079-71CD516C2653.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

That looks neat. I’m thinking of something utilitarian, like a Tern or maybe even a bakfeits, that I could use to do a shopping. Looking at the prices, it would need to be something second hand.

jowwy

That looks neat. I’m thinking of something utilitarian, like a Tern or maybe even a bakfeits, that I could use to do a shopping. Looking at the prices, it would need to be something second hand.

Hopedully youll find what your looking for in the right price bracket…..

Brandane

Legendary Member
setting 1 just about negates the weight of said bike
setting 2 gives a gentle push along
setting 3 gives the legs a decent rest
setting 4 is fly like the wind

The Merida has the Mahle system, with 3 levels of assistance. Using the app which links to the bike, you can set the percentage of assistance for each of the 3 levels. I think I have mine currently at 30/60/90 percent.
Similar to you, I find level 1 just about compensates for the extra weight of the bike. Level 2 is good enough for most hills, while level 3 I only use for the tough climbs.
If I wanted to use it for commuting as @glasgowcyclist does, I reckon level 2 on the flat and level 3 on the inclines would result in arriving at work as fragrant as I was when I stepped out the shower at home. Depending on the distance and terrain between home and work of course. In my case I have a climb called Fairlie Moor to negotiate, so even on top assistance level I would be a frothing, sweating mess when I got to work. Hence why no cycle commuting here without the assistance of Scotrail!

Mike_P

Guru
A claimed 9% max climb, I say claimed as it's got speed humps on it), on max assist in the sun last Wednesday did make me wish I had stuck a pannier on the bike rather than using a rucksack for the very light load it was carrying. Giant have five assist levels, Eco (1:1), Basic (x 1.75), Active (x 2.5), Sport (x3) Power (x 3.6) which the app does allow to be tweaked slightly.

Top Bottom