Adverts that just don't work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
For me the best/most successful advert ever was in the early 1970s when we needed a carpet but were totally skint. It was a singing ad "This is the carpet you can afford by Cyril Lord".
It was so good the company went bust and we got the carpet at knock down price from a market stall. It actually was a good carpet and lasted us for years.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Hmmmmmmm, dooooooohhhhhnuuuuutttssssss!

colly

Re member eR
There's an ad that appears on TV occasionally featuring a platypus in a pub. I do know it's advertising First Direct Bank but frankly if they are trying to drum up new business .....

If I were not already using their bank that ad would not persuade me to look in their direction.

pawl

Legendary Member
Who on earth thought up this promo costume for Dunkin Donuts?! :laugh:

View attachment 445839

It’s that man out ofMrs Browns Boys trying to find the TV studios

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In our household the advent of the tv remote control has put the tv advert on the endangered list.
The remote control time-skip buttons remove most of them. Currently UK ad breaks seem to be either 1 minute (BBC), 4 minutes (ITV1/C4/C5) or 5 minutes (most digital channels) which makes them nice and easy to skip with the 1 and 5 minute skip buttons, then use the 20-second skip for fine corrections and to remove those "sponsored by..." ones which don't seem to count as part of the break time.

Some of the channel operators seem to have figured this out and vary the break lengths (Viacom's channel 5 network especially) but so far few advertisers seem to have realised that having their product name on-screen in a fixed position throughout their advert would increase the chance of time-skipping viewers seeing it.

Top Bottom