Advice about wheelie-bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I don't know which sub forum this should go.

In my job, I take along quite a lot of equipment to the sites I do maintenance for. To start, I packed it all into a heavy duty back pack. But then I started to suffer from shoulder impingement, so I bought a sort of cheap shopping trolley. Now the shopping trolley is falling apart and I want something more robust. I've seen lots of bags on wheels, but the casters look pretty small. I can drag my bag about four miles a day. The wheels have to be either pretty strong or easy to replace. Any recommendations?

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Golf cart?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Pram wheels look quite robust on these. Any good?
5C5B49FD-3634-4341-B654-913C6477DC27.jpeg

Joking aside, you carry heavy tools four miles a day? How about something based on a motorised golf trolley?

stephec

Legendary Member
What exactly do you need to carry?

I'm a service engineer, and I use this for tools and a laptop, it does me for about 99% of my jobs when I don't need any big stuff or power tools.

rikki

Legendary Member
I carry my theatre tools in a Janome overlocker trundle bag. It was surplus to mrs r's requirements and too good to throw away.
The wheels are like the ones on the DeWalt bag referred to by @PeteXXX i.e. a bit more robust than on a wheelie brief case or carry-on luggage. It has a one large compartment in which I put two plastic tubs ,one on top of the other. It has held up well to bump ins and bump outs and being trundled behind me through the city from train station to theatre (don't ask for a park near a theatre), but it's not everyday of the week.

Sack truck with a lockable steel two drawer filing cabinet securely attached. I saw a homeless person with this setup once. The whole rig could be locked to a suitable piece of street furniture with a bike lock, allowing him to comfortably leave his possessions for a short while even though he was in the middle of the city.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Just to clarify - car or bike ?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What exactly do you need to carry?

I'm a service engineer, and I use this for tools and a laptop, it does me for about 99% of my jobs when I don't need any big stuff or power tools. View attachment 548054
I need to carry a laptop, a logbook, a socket set, several boxes and bags of tools, adapters, spare batteries, zip ties, 2 USB extension cables, torches, multimeter, tone tester, and various other bits and bobs. They probably would fit into something like that.

stephec

Legendary Member
I need to carry a laptop, a logbook, a socket set, several boxes and bags of tools, adapters, spare batteries, zip ties, 2 USB extension cables, torches, multimeter, tone tester, and various other bits and bobs. They probably would fit into something like that.
Might be a bit small for all that, I think it's meant to be a business type of overnight bag.

This is what I keep in mine, laptop and a few cables in the back part, the tool roll and small socket sets in the middle, and a couple of meters and A4 notepads in the front one. The small bit on the front is for pens and small bits like USB sticks.

Weight wise I wouldn't want to put much more in there.

Top Bottom