Advice after a minor bike accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NStar

HI all,

I am after some advice from an accident I had last night on the way home.

I was cycling down a long fairly straight road last night which wasn’t too busy and a car overtakes me. The driver brushes past me not giving me any room and pushed me towards the kerb. I wobbled due the fact I had no room and was being squeezed off the road and think i pushed against the car a few times. The car drives past and I hit the deck, landing in the road.

The driver carries on but stops a few hundred years down the road. Other road users stopped and checked if I was ok. I sat up and made my way onto the pavement, then the car who caused the accident drives off, he/she possibly thought that no serious damaged was done and they had got away with it.

None of the witnesses got the number plate either, I think that they were more concerned with my safety.

I have a few minor injuries, several cuts, bruises and pains. I landed on my side and my head hit the deck, helmet now has a big crack in it.. On initial inspection the bike is ok, though I will be getting this checked over.

One of the witnesses who stopped is a keen cyclist, took me back to his house for a cup of tea and I waited there until my partner was able to pick me up. Such a nice and genuine guy.

Anyway, my question is, should I just put this down to experience or is there anything that i should do. As I don’t have the cars number plate I do feel that there is nothing that I can do.

Thanks

Still report it to the Police, the driver might have stopped but failed to provide details etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worth reporting anyway, also backs up any insurance claim you may be able to make for repairs etc. on your household insurance. You may be lucky and there is CCTV in the area - the police will check.

PS you need to report it within 24hours, so get off to your local station today.

Stuff like this makes my blood boil. I was well and truely left hooked some years back, driver only stopped long enough to see me move and legged it. A few folk stopped, but like you, no-one got the reg. Reported it, then claimed off my home insurance for a new frame (bent). No long term damage to me - broken hand kept me off the bike a few weeks.

400bhp

Guru
Worth reporting anyway, also backs up any insurance claim you may be able to make for repairs etc. on your household insurance. You may be lucky and there is CCTV in the area - the police will check.

Are you sure about that?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you sure about that?

If you ask.

When I had a bit of an arguement with some nobber in a Golf V5, the officer suggested there may be cameras - he checked, but they were too far away to pick anything up.

Also worth noting yourself - i.e. go to the scene and see if any shops possibly have any !

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Absolutely definitely go to the police, and be insistent about them doing everything they can to track down the driver. Nothing may come of it, but don't let it be for want of trying. These peanuts can't be allowed to think they've got away with it.

d.

OP
OP
N

NStar

Thanks , i wll do that this afternoon

It happened on a clear and open B road, lined either side with houses etc, cant recall any shops around.

But i will report it

Cheers

OP
OP
N

NStar

Just gutted as its a fairly new bike and have just returned to cycling, only the second time i have commuted home from work.

Wont put me off though, will be back on as soon as I've bought a new helmet and the bikes been checked over! :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is a road traffic accident and needs reporting to the police.

"
Definition of a road traffic collision
The law defines a reportable road traffic collision as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:
  • Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,
  • Injury or damage to an animal- other than one being carried on that vehicle (an animal is classes as a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog).
  • Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.
  • Damage to property constructed on, affixed to, growing in, or otherwise forming part of the land where the road is.
If they take place in a public place the police can investigate off-road collisions, for example, collisions in car parks, which, because they are open to the public, are deemed public places.

What to do if you are involved in a collision
If you are the driver you MUST:
  • Stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable time,
  • Give your name and address, vehicle registration number, and details of the owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for these details.
  • If you do not exchange those at the scene you must report the accident at a police station as soon as possible and within 24 hours in any case.
When another person involved is injured you must:
  • Produce your certificate of insurance to anyone at the scene having reasonable grounds to see it.
  • If you don’t have your certificate with you then you may take it to the police station when you report the incident (within 24 hours). This must be produced within seven days.
This applies, not only if your vehicle was directly involved in the collision, but also if your vehicle’s presence was a factor.
If you have any doubts we advise you to report the collision regardless of who was at fault.
Failure to do so can mean you are committing two offences;- failure to stop and failure to report.
The penalties for each offence include a fine and penalty points on your licence. The court can also disqualify you from driving for either or both offences.-

Steve

pablo666

Über Member
This is a road traffic accident and needs reporting to the police.

"
Definition of a road traffic collision
The law defines a reportable road traffic collision as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:
  • Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,
  • Injury or damage to an animal- other than one being carried on that vehicle (an animal is classes as a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog).
  • Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.
  • Damage to property constructed on, affixed to, growing in, or otherwise forming part of the land where the road is.
If they take place in a public place the police can investigate off-road collisions, for example, collisions in car parks, which, because they are open to the public, are deemed public places.

What to do if you are involved in a collision
If you are the driver you MUST:
  • Stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable time,
  • Give your name and address, vehicle registration number, and details of the owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for these details.
  • If you do not exchange those at the scene you must report the accident at a police station as soon as possible and within 24 hours in any case.
When another person involved is injured you must:

• Produce your certificate of insurance to anyone at the scene having reasonable grounds to see it.
  • If you don’t have your certificate with you then you may take it to the police station when you report the incident (within 24 hours). This must be produced within seven days.
This applies, not only if your vehicle was directly involved in the collision, but also if your vehicle’s presence was a factor.

If you have any doubts we advise you to report the collision regardless of who was at fault.
Failure to do so can mean you are committing two offences;- failure to stop and failure to report.
The penalties for each offence include a fine and penalty points on your licence. The court can also disqualify you from driving for either or both offences.-

Steve
There is never a duty on a cyclist to report. The duty is on powered vehicles only.
PB

Top Bottom