Advice appreciated please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katelock

Hi there,

I am looking to increase my fitness levels and wanted some advice about buying a new bike. I have recently moved from London where I mostly cycled at a leisurely pace around flat streets/roads at the weekends. I have a Pashley sit up and beg step-through bike. We have moved to the West Pennine Moors and it is MUCH more hilly and the Pashley just doesn't cut it! I am really struggling with the hills and going out on my bike just isn't fun anymore!

My partner is a much keener cyclist and he rides a proper road bike. I never really noticed the difference in London, what with the traffic etc,but I just can't keep up with him anymore! He thinks that since I am trying to increase fitness and lose weight (I have lost about 2 stone in the 10 weeks since we've moved through dieting and increasing excercise) and because we go out much more often on our bikes than previously, that I should go for a road bike like his. I am a bit nervous about going for a road bike as it is so different from what I've previously had. I don't go off-road, we really just go along the country lanes. Also, I want something light with gears that will help me up the hills.

I tested a Giant Avail 2, which I did really like, I just feel like an imposter! Is my partner right or is there something else that would be more suitable for me?

Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi there,

I am looking to increase my fitness levels and wanted some advice about buying a new bike. I have recently moved from London where I mostly cycled at a leisurely pace around flat streets/roads at the weekends. I have a Pashley sit up and beg step-through bike. We have moved to the West Pennine Moors and it is MUCH more hilly and the Pashley just doesn't cut it! I am really struggling with the hills and going out on my bike just isn't fun anymore!

My partner is a much keener cyclist and he rides a proper road bike. I never really noticed the difference in London, what with the traffic etc,but I just can't keep up with him anymore! He thinks that since I am trying to increase fitness and lose weight (I have lost about 2 stone in the 10 weeks since we've moved through dieting and increasing excercise) and because we go out much more often on our bikes than previously, that I should go for a road bike like his. I am a bit nervous about going for a road bike as it is so different from what I've previously had. I don't go off-road, we really just go along the country lanes. Also, I want something light with gears that will help me up the hills.

I tested a Giant Avail 2, which I did really like, I just feel like an imposter! Is my partner right or is there something else that would be more suitable for me?

I think your partner is right.

No way should you feel like an imposter.

The Avail 2 is a mighty fine bike.

Alternatives would be a light and fast flat bar road bike, a CX bike or a hybrid of some description.

As you like the Avail 2 I'd probably just go and get that as you liked it. More prudent types (who may well be right) would suggest you try a few similar bikes first.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If it's the drop bars that are putting you off, you will get used to them if you go for a road bike or a touring bike.
I've got a touring bike (main difference is it will take mudguards and slightly fatter tyres than a road bike), and had a lower set of gears put on it to help me up the hills! The drop bars are really handy if you think you might end up doing long rides, as they give you lots of different possible hand positions so you can swap around to avoid aches and pains!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the 2012 Avail 2 - very good, adaptable bike for the money. Only pain is that it won't take proper mudguards, only cruds which are flimsy and prone to rubbing. The Giant specific guards may be better

If it's very hilly around you, a triple chainset maybe beneficial over the Avail's double. Perhaps also look at one of the fast hybrids with a triple like a Specialized Vita or Giant dash

Women specific CX bikes don't seem to exist in the UK, so you'll be adapting a unisex bike probably. Also most are heavier than a road bike. An unadorned Avail is around 9kg I think

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Here in the States, many Hybrids are sold as triples, due to the geography and obesity(I contribute). A flat bar option is a Trekking Bar, which allows you to use your current brakes and shifters, yet gives you a variety of hand positions without the bend that drops require.

SWSteve

Guru
I can't help re: which bike sorry, someone will come along who knows a lot more than I do shortly.

One thing I can say is I went off to buy a road bike after having not ridden any form of bike for years. After being scared about riding a 'proper road bike' initially and it felt twitchy/odd I now find it a very comfortable and responsive ride.

You shouldn't feel like an imposter, bikes/cyclists are cool. Anyone who tells you otherwise should try one/give theirs up

OP
OP
K

Katelock

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

My OH put me off a hybrid because he thought that I wouldn't really gain anything in terms of the weight of the bike as it would be similar to what I've got now, except it would have more gears. Are there any bikes that are similar in weight to a road bike without the drop bars? The plan is to ride longer routes eventually (when I can keep up!), at the mo we do around 10-15 miles every other day.

You all seem to agree with my partner, which puts me in the awful position of having to concede he is right on this occasion! :ohmy: haha

London Female

Über Member
Hi there,

Hi Katelock

I can't really advise too much on bikes but I also went from riding a Pashley Britannia to a hybrid. I still have the Pashley but only use it for the short and flat journey into town. I have now ordered a new bike which has drop bars however, I have had the bars set slightly higher for a more relaxed riding position and went for a triple to help with the hills which I hate. I had no problems with the transition from the sit up and beg, step through frame to the hybrid and I am not anticipating any problems with the new bike when it arrives in 3 weeks time.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

London Female

Über Member
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

My OH put me off a hybrid because he thought that I wouldn't really gain anything in terms of the weight of the bike as it would be similar to what I've got now, except it would have more gears. Are there any bikes that are similar in weight to a road bike without the drop bars? The plan is to ride longer routes eventually (when I can keep up!), at the mo we do around 10-15 miles every other day.

You all seem to agree with my partner, which puts me in the awful position of having to concede he is right on this occasion! :ohmy: haha

My hybrid is definately lighter than my Pashley but my new bike, an audax, is lighter than the hybrid.

One of my local bike shop sells Giant and they have a lovely flat bar road bike which is around the same price as the Avail 2, I can't remember what it is called though. If you get a flat bar, I would get bar ends fitted, I had them fitted to my hybrid and they really made a difference for me.

SWSteve

Guru
I would also like to say about triples, they are useful when hitting big climbs. No need to play with both shifters initially, just drop on the front, and then move the rear accordingly afterwards

vickster

Legendary Member
Are there any bikes that are similar in weight to a road bike without the drop bars? The plan is to ride longer routes eventually (when I can keep up!), at the mo we do around 10-15 miles every other day.

If you feel more comfortable with flat bars, look at these (all around the £700-800 mark, like the Avail 2) and get bar ends (if not fitted) as above. I reckon all should be 10kg or less

They are WSD models, nothing to stop you looking at 'unisex' ones of course

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/vita-comp-2013-womens-hybrid-bike-ec030758

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/quick-sl-2-2013-womens-hybrid-bike-ec042958

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/75-fx-wsd-2013-womens-hybrid-bike-ec040362

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.liv.giant.dash.2/11867/56909/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.liv.giant.escape.rx.2.w/11868/56912/

Not sure on the differences between the Giants!

Should be able to add 25mm tyres for a bit more oomph

Julia9054

Guru
He is right!
I had a similar dilemma having never ridden with drop handle bars before. Girl's bikes didn't have them when I was growing up so had never ridden a drop bar road bike before and was very nervous about it. Eventually, though, I just got so sick of watching partner's @rse disappear over the horizon all over Yorkshire whilst i struggled to keep up on my hybrid, I bought myself a Jamis Xenith Endura Sport. I still ride my hybrid to work as I find the more upright position makes me feel safer and more in control in traffic but I love my Jamis - it's such fun to ride! You will get used to drop handlebars and you will love the reduced weight and increased responsiveness. My partner has had to up his game so as not to be shown up and, apart from his better power on steep hills and slightly more bottle than me on steep downhills, we are now reasonably evenly matched.

MikeW-71

Veteran

There are some nice lightweight hybrids on the market that would be a good move if you don't want drop bars. The Boardman hybrids for one, there is also the Giant Rapid/Dash (this is essentially a Defy/Avail with flat bars), amongst others. They would be as quick as a road bike in most situations IMO as they use the road frames and forks along with 23mm or 25mm tyres.

The full road bike experience is brilliant though, so if you've tried the Avail and you like it, it fits and it's comfortable for you, then go for it :smile:

PS: Just looked at the Dash 4 specs. It has 11-30 rear cassette and a triple, you'd be climbing up walls with that! The higher ones run the same gearing as my Defy 2, compact double and 12-30 cassette.

PPS: The Avail 2 is exactly the same specs as my Defy 2 apart from 25mm tyres instead of my 23's (which makes no difference in speed, but are a bit more comfy)

Top Bottom