Advice - Filtering on the left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

therams

There have been a lot of incidents reported recently that highlight the dangers of filtering left past stationary Buses / Lorries at junctions. So I just want some advice on the best way to handle a situation I encounter regularly on my commute.

50% of my commute to work has cycle lanes, marked on the left of the road, but still part of the road. These continue up to traffic lights. So when the traffic is busy, the easiest thing to do is scoot down the left of the stationary traffic, down the cycle lane up to the lights, and across them if they turn green.

However, I feel that the presence of the cycle line is forcing me to pass stationary traffic on the left. Where there are no cycle lanes I tend to join the traffic flow and wait my turn, or pass on the right.

So, what’s the best (safest) thing to do in this situation?

I don't suppose there's a 100% correct way to do so other than what is safe. I will overtake on the left occassionaly, but usually on the right. Another thing is to be patient (easier said than done) but there's no point in endangering your life to get to the front of the line. There's nothing wrong with sitting a few cars back from the red light, in fact a lot of the time you will get more respect from drivers from doing so, rather than squeezing to the front.

Like I said. Whatever is safe (and legal!)

U

User482

I never filter all the way to the front unless I know that I have time to get there before the lights change back to green. What I tend to do is filter until I'm one or two vehicles from the front - that way, the vehicle at the front won't turn into you if it's going left.

epicurus.

Filter on the right if safe.

If not safe, filter on left slowly and with great caution. Filter on left with extreme caution when it comes to large vehicles, i.e. buses and lorries - in such cases only filter if you are confident that the vehicle will remain stationary until you have gone past it.

Read cyclecraft: http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/.

garrilla

I tend to choose to sit-off an wait unless we arrive at the red light together and I know that a) I have time to pass and :biggrin: I have caught the attention of the driver in his/her left wing mirror first.

Occasionally I get caught out by cars who don't indicate until they are committed to turning, buts this is a rare thing.

OP
OP
therams

therams

Thanks, I guess a lot of it comes down to common sense / experience.

I like the idea, of slotting in a few cars before the front, if you are not sure when the lights will change. That way you cant get caught out by a car turning left and the car behind can see you.

thomas

the tank engine
therams said:
However, I feel that the presence of the cycle line is forcing me to pass stationary traffic on the left. Where there are no cycle lanes I tend to join the traffic flow and wait my turn, or pass on the right.

Chances are if you feel they're forcing you to do something you don't want to do you're probably right. Here's a super fast video of me in traffic.

I only filtered on the left then when there was a lot of space or I deemed it safe and safer than passing on the right.

I would say, try to pass on the right when possible, left sometimes. Generally sticking back a bit is a good idea - they're only going to shoot past you again anyway.

biking_fox

Guru
Givent hat you've got a cycle land and hence clear space (hah) to filter left then I'd do so. It's not that filtering left undertaking a bus is never safe. it's that sometimes it can be very dangerous.

So if it's a pedestrian crossing thats at red and the bus can't turn left, you are safe and free to filter all the way up to the light and get a good start.
If you know there's a bus stop 5m after the crossing, then filter forward only as far as the back of the bus.

If it's a turn right junction, then you can filter all the way to the front. But if there's a chance the lorry will be turning left across you, you will want to wait behind it unless you can be very sure of getting away clear in front.

It helps greatly if you know the road and the junctions. If you aren't sure, hang back and be patient.

thomas

the tank engine
therams said:
wHOOO :biggrin:, not sure I would be confident passing down the middle with that much traffic, maybe the speed of the video makes it look worse than it was.

It was nasty - the lorries I made sure the driver saw me before attempting anything (probably looked like a weirdo waving at them - but hey, better than them not seeing me)! Though, I think the middle is the safest place. Motorcyclists would be going down the middle there and drivers are probably more likely to expect them than some cyclist on their inside.

Arch

Married to Night Train
biking_fox said:
So if it's a pedestrian crossing thats at red and the bus can't turn left, you are safe and free to filter all the way up to the light and get a good start.

Hmm, it's not just turning left though is it? A vehicle moving off in a straight line could be a hazard to you, if the space was tight (esp if not a bus, but a truck with exposed hooks or flappy straps or something).

I filter on the left if there's plenty of room (always slowly and watching for passengers who might suddenly get out, or peds who might appear through the traffic or off the kerb), but never down the side of anything longer than a transit van unless I'm sure the lights have only just gone red and I have a long time before they go green AND plenty of width to move in. It comes down to knowing your junctions well, sometimes. Any doubt, don't risk it, just tuck in behind.

Basically, be sensible and expect the unexpected.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Filtering should always be under taken with caution, the presents of a cycle lane does not make it safe to do so. With long vehicle it is not worth the risk to go down the left side, just follow on behind...

OP
OP
therams

therams

Yes, all good advice. After some of my rush hour commutes in South Manchester I try to think about what happened / what I should have done.

Its mad really, 15 years ago I would have been holding onto buses, to save on effort. Now I get annoyed when I have to take the direct route home, as its busyer and more dangerous!

By the way, does anybody know why there were all the fire engines / police / ambulances just entering Rushmore at about 5pm today? Stuff like that just makes me more paranoid.

Crankarm

Guru
Arch said:
I filter on the left if there's plenty of room (always slowly and watching for passengers who might suddenly get out, or peds who might appear through the traffic or off the kerb), but never down the side of anything longer than a transit van unless I'm sure the lights have only just gone red and I have a long time before they go green AND plenty of width to move in. It comes down to knowing your junctions well, sometimes. Any doubt, don't risk it, just tuck in behind.

Basically, be sensible and expect the unexpected.

For sure - if the bus opens it's doors to let people off or on you don't want to hit one of them! Also peds dodging through the traffic around the front of buses plus the unexpected passenger car door opening ;). A potential obstacle course.

Top Bottom