Advice for a new crank for a Felt F95

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gyrojay

So my moderately priced F95 (which I do like quite a lot) which I purchased from Ebay recently has had a bit of trouble changing gears and the crank doesn't look in good condition (understatement). In fact I was cycling into Halfords earlier today for a check up with a view to getting the gears sorted when I changed up to the big front cog and got the chain stuck in the cage (I think this is called chain suck, which I learnt today..... yes sadly I know naff all about bikes).

Anyway managed to get the chain out but completely screwed the gears up. I have re-booked my visit to Halfords tomorrow and hope to at least get a bit of use out of the bike before I have to start chainging components. The FSA tempo crankset seems quite rare , I am wondering what other types of cranks I can use or am I limited to this one? I am not looking to spend lots of money.......

Drago

Legendary Member
You don't state the year, but being an F95 its probably square taper. If youmdon't want to change the bottom bracket there is no shortage of dual ring chansets to choose from.

Having said all that, id be mighty surprised if the chainset were damaged or worn neyond redemption.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
A bit of investigation suggests the chainset might be an FSA Tempo square taper needing 110mm BCD 5 bolt rings.
If it's chain suck it's likely caused by a worn inner ring. This might be a replacement:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s210p3055/SPA-CYCLES-110-BCD-Zicral-Middle-Inner
For more on chain suck search for a post I made a few days ago.
Not sure what's meant by " the crank doesn't look in good condition (understatement)"? Describe.
Replacement chainset: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p45/STRONGLIGHT-Impact-Double (and the current BB is the right length).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, plenty of choices available for replacement square taper (refers to the spindle that slots into the cranks) bottom brackets. You could even fit a more up to date Hollowtech BB and and chainset without any modifications, this would do away with the heavy SQT spindle. If you fit another size of chainring you’ll need to readjust the front derailleur height.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gyrojay

Thanks for all replies. I don't know the year, it looks like a Wiggle Felt one with rim brakes.

Some of the teeth aren't very tooth like. And it generally looks like it has been used a lot but I am no expert and I would love to get more usage out of it so I hope you are right Drago. TBH I only noticed the (perceived) crapiness of the the crank and cassette in the photos after I had won it so it's my fault really.

Oh and it's a 9 speed so presumably the one in bikingdad90 link is no good?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the teeth look very sharp or are ‘hooked’ they are worn. If worn that much likely the chain and cassette are worn too so best replace all whilst you’re at it.

Edit: The guy in my local LBS offered me a very similar chainset to the one posted by @bikingdad90 for less than a fiver. Looked okay but with these cheaper Chinese products you can’t be sure.

Last edited:
@gyrojay 8/9 speed is mostly interchangeable. I run that chainset with 8 speed Claris no problem. I decided on that from SJS as the local bike shop was going to fit a 9 speed Sora one for £90 plus labour! In the end they fitted the SJS one.

Ajax Bay

Guru
it's a 9 speed so presumably the one in bikingdad90 link is no good?
At that price I'd just go for one of those, despite the spec being 7/8 speed. The difference between that and a 9sp chainset is that the rings will be very slightly further apart (maybe) but with a compact (50-34) you'll not notice. But bear in mind these rings on this chainset will not last as long as good ones (like the Spa Cycles zicral one to which I linked). Depends how many thousand miles you plan in 2021.
Once you've made a few more posts you should be able to post an image (in focus, good lighting) of the chainrings highlighting the "crappiness of the crank" (I think you must mean the ring(s)). This community will no doubt be generous with its view(s). As @Drago said (closing time typos corrected :laugh:) "I'd be mighty surprised if the chainset was damaged or worn beyond redemption."
It is very difficult to tell by visual inspection whether a cassette has been worn beyond its operating life. But I infer that you need to replace both the cassette and the chain straight away (NB this will not address the chain suck). For 9sp this is inexpensive: a HG50 or SRAM 950 cassette and a SRAM PC-971 or 951 chain (all come with quick link). While you decide between options for chainring/chainset I'd get on with that (from LBS or other).
HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gyrojay

I dropped my bike off at Halfords today for a gear service and the guy recommended a new cassette and chain. Didn't say anything about the chainset - just shows what I know.

I kind of want to do it myself just to learn, the only thing is I'm thinking of an 11-28 cassette instead of an 11-25. I'm presuming that has no bearing on anything. Also I will probably change the chainset for a smaller size crank length. I'd prefer to do this next year but is it better off doing everything at the same time?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Your derailleur should be able to cope with 28t. If the chainrings are worn best to do it now. Halfords staff aren’t always clued up too well so could have missed it. Very straightforward to do it yourself, all you need is a socket to undo the retaining bolts (unless Allen bolts or self extracting) and a hammer to drift (love that word) the chainset off (if it’s toast).

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the chainrings are worn best to do it now. Halfords staff aren’t always clued up too well so could have missed it.
Get the cassette and chain replaced asap (Halfords branch will have the components in stock). If you do this yourself you'll need a shimano cassette lockring tool, a chain whip, a large adjustable spanner and a chain tool (to reduce the length of the chain before fitting).
Clean the chainrings thoroughly to make them 'nice' for the new chain, and then take time to test the drivetrain.

OP
OP
G

gyrojay

So I got a cassette and chain and will replace them end of this week.

My gear changing is actually worse now, the front derailleur needs adjusting. Halfords bloke didn't actually address my main gripe that the front was only shifting from the small to big cog and vice versa very occasionally. I have a local bike tech that seems good, wish I had looked him up sooner as I feel I wasted my £20 with Halfords.

My new plan is to fit the cassette and see if I can sort out the gears myself and if (most likey when) I stuff it up take it to a professional.

Top Bottom