Advice for a new type of bike light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I got it. Bluetooth bike lights controlled from your phone. There could be an app on the phone, and when the accelerometer in the phone senses you've had a crash the lights can blink SOS in Morse code.
see.sense ?

Mike_P

Guru
Re the lights that you can keep on the bike, all they need to be are ones with Go Pro mountings attached, fitted to a bolted on Go Pro mount and the Go Pro fixing bolt replaced with a bolt and locking nut, that way as secure as the rest of the bits of the bike unless attacked by Allen keys. Halfords do such a front light while for ebikes their is the Light and Motion set.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I miss my old Schmidt E6. Ok, it needed a new bulb occasionally and the beam was so pencil-thin that tight bends were terrifying, but it didn't half throw light a long way down the road.
I've still got mine somewhere. It was pretty good as one half of a twin headlight setup, paired with a Lumotec Oval aimed a bit shorter.
The wider beam of the Lumotec avoided the problem of going into a bend unable to see anything other than a small square patch of hedge on the outside of the bend.

It did prompt me into considering the design of a swiveling mount, that would aim the light further left as you steered left.
Maybe the OP would like to consider that rather than a light - he could sell it to all the people who've already got a light.

Drago

Legendary Member
How about lights that are powered by the motion of the bicycle? Something like a car alternator, but smaller and with a lower output, could be used to harness the rotation of the wheels and generate electricity for thr lights. We could call them Alternator Lights.

davidphilips

Veteran
Heres an idea, make a self contained led light that is usb rechargeable, same as the whats made by Lezyne, Moon etc but have a battery that can be replaced, know i am fed up with replacing lights when its just the battery wont hold charge any more or lights that have sat unused for a wile and batterys done.

blackheart

Recently me and my brother decided to take a car for rent. We wanted to see new places and to meet new people.(We wanted to escape from our families and clear our mind). So we said that we are going to a conference in the near city. So when we were on our way suddenly we started to argue. My brother always behaves like he knows best. Anyway he went without me and i had no other way but to rent a bike (all money were in brother's car). After that accident i started to ride bike more often, and it's very important that bikes light have longer Battery life, check site.Who knows maybe i need to ride at night again

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
German standard B&M Lumotec lamp powered by a Shimano dynamo-hub.
No human-machine interface required.
You fix it place, rotate dial to Senso. Furgettaboutit. It goes on and off when required, you can even leave it on all the time.
It lights the road up and lets you be seen.
This.
Simply take bike out of shed and ride....day or night, zero faff, brilliant illumination.

Top Bottom