Advice for beginner buying a Hybrid - Giant vs Specialized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
I'm new to cycling and you'll notice to this forum. I am looking at purchase a hybrid bike and was looking at models: Giant Roam 0 2015 and Specialized Crosstrail Elite Comp 2015.

My last bike was Raleigh mountain bike which was my Christmas present when I was 11 years old - I'm now 36!
The new bike will be for 80% road usage and 20% for off-road. Nothing that serious off-road just dirt paths etc. I'm 5ft 9" and heavy build.

The Giant and Specialized are similar prices £725 and £700 respectively. I was wondering what the main differences are between the two? I've not able to find a dealer that has both models. In fact the Giant store in Liverpool said that they wouldn't be getting it until the New Year when Giant will be getting stock themselves but Tredz says they will be getting stock in 2 weeks. My nearest Evan Cycles can order the Specialized in for me to test ride.

I also have a few general questions:

I've found that the price of a lot of models I looked at were exactly the same across all online retailers. Why is this? Do manufacturers not allow discounting? It seemed to me to make more sense to buy from a local dealer for aftersales service as there seemed no advantage to buying online.
Why do Evans not stock Giant?

Many thanks for your help!

vickster

Legendary Member
The big manufacturers do indeed control prices, Specialized certainly do

I'd be suspicious of Tredz saying they can get a bike if the giant store themselves can't...they are hot and miss in having stock to say the least

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/losing-faith-in-tredz-swansea.164127/#post-3259143

Unless an end of season model, specialized tend to be more costly spec wise than many other brands

You could post links to the two specs and let folks review and comment.

A salesman in Evans did tell me they may be stocking giant in future. Maybe for whatever reason, giant uk decided not to do business with Evans. Only someone from the two companies could actually say why :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Specs looks pretty similar, if riding on the road why do you need/want suspension? Although both at least have lock out

vickster

Legendary Member
OP only mentions giant stores. I am unfamiliar with giant retailers in Liverpool (obviously)

Newport Pagnell is a ways from Liverpool too

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I preferred a Hybrid as I prefer them over road bikes. Suspension will only be for the occasions when I go off-road. As you said it can be locked out.

Anyway are there features where bike is better than the other?

Specs looks pretty similar, if riding on the road why do you need/want suspension? Although both at least have lock out

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Any dealers in Manchester are fine. I went to the Evans store near at Chille Factor near the Trafford Centre. I was a bit disappointed no one asked if I needed any help. But it was a Sunday and the store was fairly busy. There are a few independent Giant dealers near me but its a question of whether they have the 2015 model in stock.

OP only mentions giant stores. I am unfamiliar with giant retailers in Liverpool (obviously)

Newport Pagnell is a ways from Liverpool too

vickster

Legendary Member
Go ride them, see which one is best for you, minor spec differences are less important in the real world than the feel of the bike and indeed brand, the specialized looks better, but personally I wouldn't ride one again. That said in your shoes, I'd be looking at the lovely whyte hybrids not the monster global manufacturers. Evans don't sell whyte any more either

Happy shopping :smile:

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Out of interest why would you not buy a Specialized again? When you say the Specialized looks better - you mean cosmetically? I actually chose the Specialized first then found the Giant and thought that one looked better cosmetically. I saw the 2014 model of the Specialized in Evans but didn't test ride it because the store was so busy.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
That Whyte Cambridge does look nice. I didn't want to go out and test loads and loads of different models. Rather get it down to 2 or 3.

vickster

Legendary Member
Out of interest why would you not buy a Specialized again? When you say the Specialized looks better - you mean cosmetically? I actually chose the Specialized first then found the Giant and thought that one looked better cosmetically. I saw the 2014 model of the Specialized in Evans but didn't test ride it because the store was so busy.
Because everyone rides them, at least in the London area....like something that not every 2nd person is riding. Also, I think they are overpriced for the spec. And I found them very dull to ride

2012 Cambridge here for £649

I didn't mean the Cambridge if the OP is looking for suspension, more the likes of the Malvern/Caledonian/Chiltern for example

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co....=333&CSS_ID=698&P_MIN=0&P_MAX=10000&MF_ID=231

Go test as many bikes as you need to find 'the one'

Top Bottom