Advice for beginner buying a Hybrid - Giant vs Specialized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudor_77

Über Member
I can recommend the Giant Roam. I have two (well, one belongs to the missus now) and they are just awesome bikes. Not only are they really well built but they are just an amazingly fun and fast ride. I also have a Giant Defy full carbon road bike and its a total dud compared to the Roam. Build quality sucks and its sluggish as hell. For me, the only Giant bike that lives up to the hype is the Roam. The Spesh is probably just as awesome too but they are very over-priced but you might be able to find a bargain out there somewhere.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I still haven't bought my bike yet. Tredz's website is showing the Roam 0 as available in stock but when I contacted them they said they would have stock in March. I don't understand why they discontinue the 2014 versions and then don't release stock for the 2015 version for like 5 months. Makes no sense to me. I'm also not generally too impressed with Giant. They don't have any contact details for Giant UK and haven't replied to me on Facebook or Twitter.

I preferred the Giant over the Specialized but I'm running out of patience with Giant.

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant have actual stores - give them a try? The one in Twickenham had lots of new models last week

vickster

Legendary Member
The Twickenham one is good. However, looking at the first post, he has had no joy from the one in Liverpool

ambitionator

I recommend going for a specialized diverge, only just released, it's a go anywhere bike. I'm the same as you, I want primarily road, but want the option to go off the beaten track. Entry level model is £750, well worth a look. :thumbsup:
image.jpg

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Thanks I'll take a look.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I contacted a few Giant dealers and they are all quoting a delivery date of early March. This seems like a ridiculous long wait to me but is it normal for Giant to do this?

mythste

Veteran
I'm pretty sure coast cycles (aigburth) is a Giant stockist, and though the owner can come across a bit brash he really knows his stuff and I'd trust him to look after my bike in aftersales.

I had some great service from the Giant store in Liverpool from a chap named Sam when I was inquiring about the Defy series. Didn't request a ride though.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I contacted a few Giant dealers and they are all quoting a delivery date of early March. This seems like a ridiculous long wait to me but is it normal for Giant to do this?

Depends on the newness of the model I think.

Giant are big manufacturers as you know and I think they have a pretty slick supply chain.

My bike had a two months lead time which they hit pretty much spot on.

Some other manufacturers are a nightmare in my experience - Cube being one. I just gave up trying to order one in the end.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Rutland Cycling were showing 1 in stock in medium and 1 in large. I placed an order because they also have a 5% discount this weekend. I have a feeling that it might be a display or demo unit but I have contacted them to check.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Received the bike and its fine apart from some of the black anodised paint on the crank arm on the drive side has been scrapped exposing the metal underneath. It doesn't look its been damaged in shipping but rather with a tool when the crankset was fitted. I know its minor but I'm a bit annoyed because its a brand new bike.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Received the bike and its fine apart from some of the black anodised paint on the crank arm on the drive side has been scrapped exposing the metal underneath. It doesn't look its been damaged in shipping but rather with a tool when the crankset was fitted. I know its minor but I'm a bit annoyed because its a brand new bike.

If it really bothers you then ask them to replace the crank arm.

Crank arms are one of those parts of the bike that get scuffed up quite quickly when you start using then - scuff marks from shoes usually.

If it is very minor why not just touch it in?

Top Bottom