Advice for Doing Pacific Crest Trail Around The Summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

learning2cycle

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I cant help you. but it looks fun. But 2,500 miles!! wow, thats a long way, but looks great fun.
If I were you I would ask this question in the Touring and Expedition section.
There are loads of very experienced cycle tourists in there who will be able to offer you help.
They will also be able to offer their knowledge of using gps on long tours.

snorri

Legendary Member
hey i'll like to do the PCT

Are you sure?
That sounds like a rather tall order for a guy who is having problems with gears, water intake, rain, hills and use of gps to be undertaking a 2,500 mile tour in a few months time. You are more likely to get better advice and cycling partners for this tour by seeking info on US cycling forums.:smile:

outlash

also available in orange
Are you sure?
That sounds like a rather tall order for a guy who is having problems with gears, water intake, rain, hills and use of gps to be undertaking a 2,500 mile tour in a few months time. You are more likely to get better advice and cycling partners for this tour by seeking info on US cycling forums.:smile:

Tall is an understatement. I've been to Lake Tahoe and the area around the California/Oregon border and it's mountainous far beyond anything you see in these islands. The wiki link you refer to doesn't even say it's suitable for bikes, only hiking & horse riding. Note the highest pass is at over 13,000 feet, I've skied at Arapahoe Basin which is the same sort of altitude and I can assure you breathing isn't easy. You wouldn't get me up there on a fully laden touring bike, that'd hurt. A lot.
Maybe downgrade your ambitions slightly?

Tony.

OP
OP
L

learning2cycle

"watching Ride the Divide"

sure will! looks like it's for mountain biking, i like watching stuff!! but first-ever long-distance trail is more fun!!

seattle to end of california which is san deigo to me, that's the goal!

"Cycling at 13,000 feet isn't all that bad"
for those that think this is 'ambitious' i wonder what you'll say if you knew about all the other basic problems i have in my life! =)..... i'll just skip the 13k feet part; after all, the highest point i've ever been is the 3rd floor of that one building that one time

"on US cycling forums"
which ones? can't find any good ones to ask about trails. this post was on gears though. also i don't like that you call everyone guys, that's not nice, it's discriminatory

i need to be prepare

one list with camping related items delineated with a * next to the camping-based item works! then the list would work for both! and it can be on the main page of this site! yay!

i'm sure there's a ton of these lists on the Web but experienced cyclists would be much familiar with which one of those are better or best (tons of bad info out there for a bunch of things)

and im sure a bunch of cyclists keep lists

need the list of gears!!

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
Whoa there!

If you're asking questions on a forum, you need to give people all the information you have to hand, so if you have 'basic problems' as you call them, you need to tell people about them, also (not that it matters particularly) if you're not a guy.

What you're planning to undertake is a mammoth task even for an experienced cyclist/traveller, having a username of learning2cycle doesn't inspire confidence. People on here in general are friendly bunch, you give us some slack and we'll so the same.

Tony.

OP
OP
L

learning2cycle

forced to cancel all and any cycling trips for this year and maybe even next as there's no good gps solution --> http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/gps-navigation-advice-please.147607

"having a username of learning2cycle doesn't inspire confidence"

-- i'll let you know who has friendly and helpful comments, and which are trash. you're not one to say.

Top Bottom