Discrimination and Loss of "freedom of movement" for poor and disabled

Is exclusion and discrimination of the poor and disabled in regards to cycling a serious problem?

• yes

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I am ignorant on the issue (lack of knowledge, not dumb)

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • your trolling

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • your not trolling

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • They are a danger and should not be allowed (for what ever reason)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I never knew I was discriminating by "exclusion"

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't want them cycling and think you need to be silenced

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • please educate me

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • TMI (if this is your selection please PM as to why)

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, First off.
Prelude:

Please take the time to read my first post in the introductions of new members, There are some very important points, in there, to keep in mind, while reading any of my threads or posts, that I may add to this forum.

I do have an agenda, by starting this thread. To all intent and purpose it has direct relevance to my situation even when it may seam off topic. Some of the stuff that may appear off topic, is me simply trying to explain to you, the situation I find myself in, in the real world, that has a direct or indirect impact to this thread and cycling.

I also need you, to understand, that my intelligence is much higher than by grammar. I know this and I try to adapt , by sometimes saying the same things, in different ways, to try to get you folks to understand, what it is I am thinking and trying to convey.

when quoting my posts and replying to my posts, DO NOT break the segments up. It completely changes the contextual meaning of what I am saying and will sidetrack this thread faster than screaming fire in a crowded theater. Also by side tracking this thread you would be putting me in further danger of being killed by delaying actions of people advocating for my rights. I will give an example from a previous segment above to show how doing so completely changes the meaning.

Quote "I do have an agenda by starting this thread" By quoting only this sentence out of that segment, could be viewed that my intention is to "TROLL" this site. Or some other ulterior motive.
When quoting the whole segment, which also includes the explanation, of why I am starting the thread, you see I am not actually trying to troll anything at all, other than trying to deal with something that is threatening my freedom and right to live. Which involves bicycling.

This is going to take a bit of explaining in regards to what the thread title means, and how that rights and my life are being threatened. Please be patient, it is going to be a multi posting with lots of details, Of background on my situation regarding using bicycle for sole means of transportation. Background on me personally, to try to help establish a point of view, and perspective, different than the majority of people. Detail on Minnesota laws regarding biking. Links to other sites that do better job explaining things than I could.(I DO NOT quote and link blindly,I read the content before linking to ensure of its relevance and as source of information, it has relevance, just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it is off topic or not relevant, it just means you do not understand what I am talking about, nor do you see the connection, due possibly, to looking at it from a totally different perspective or view. Simply having different views doesn't necessarily mean one is wrong and other is right, they could both be right, or both be wrong. That is what discussion and debate is about.)

Note to the Moderators: I will be discussing sensitive issues, It is NOT intended, as attacks, provoking of emotional responses, etc. There will be some conflict of views, especially, when I discuss the "exclusion factor", which is one of the worse forms of discrimination, in the damage, it does to the person that is being excluded. Guilty parties, of the exclusion, are going to be extra "vocal" on trying to get me banned. Reason I mention this, is I have already been permanently banned and silenced by at least 3 other sites, when discussing this very real and normalized form of ("DEVASTATING" form of discrimination). It is the discomfort factor, that is the cause of the banning. Not the merits or discredits of what I am actually saying. So Please do not silence the voice of Advocacy for the rights of the poor and disabled to exercise their rights of freedom of movements, By use of bicycles, which is the most cost effective and time efficient means of transportation available to us at our level in society..

I came here, because I am having a hard time, trying to find a place to speak out, against actions that are putting my life at risk and destroying my right to freedom of movement.Which also impacts other Americans in my shoes all over the USA. I came here to speak to the people, when our leaders are failing to listen or even acknowledge that there is even a problem that makes us 3rd class citizens or puts our lives in EXTREME danger.

This next cap sentence is NOT shouting it is simply in caps to ensure you get something that is important. THIS THREAD HAS DIRECT AND INDIRECT DETAILS TO BICYCLES AND CYCLING. IT WILL TAKE TIME TO EXPLAIN THE DETAILS AND HOW IT CONNECTS. PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

This thread is not really meant to be responded to yet. I haven't even gotten a chance to start filling in background info, much-less than the plea for help. It is also to test the water to see what kind of moderators manage this site and the tolerance level of said moderators. I do not want to be wasting what little of my valuable time, I have left, advocating and trying to seek help, If I am going to be silenced by moderators. early on or part way through..

Moderators am I going to have an issue with you, when discussing discrimination against the poor and disabled cyclists?

Ok been at this for a while and its late, I am tired, so signing off for now

Disabled rider
PS stay tuned for extremely detailed background on me as a foundation of perspective in step one of this thread.

sabian92

Über Member
I assume "Too Much Information".

As for me I see it as exclusion through lack of affordable options. What's a disabled trike (or any sort of variation thereof including tandems designed for one able bodied and one disabled person) going for these days, thousands? Who can afford that?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
OP, are the issues you wish to discuss specific to Minnesota law? If they are then you may have more success addressing the US equivalent of our excellent ''Wheels for Wellbeing,'' whose mission is all about inclusivity for cyclists. I'm not trying to ghettoise here, it's just that the majority of members on this forum are based in the UK, and we have virtually no power to influence the law in a US state.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm registered disabled due to loss of function in my right arm. As far as cycling goes I've never encountered a seconds discrimination.

As for America, I must confess to find it hard to care very much.

Agree, too much information and I still don't know after reading your long post above what this is all about other than it might have something to do with disability and there is another similarly long post somewhere I'm supposed to search out and read. The thought of similar long rambling posts to follow is a big turn off. If you want to get people to pay attention you have get your thoughts into what is known as an elevator pitch - something short and to the point which brings out the key points of what you need people to know not the War and Peace in three volumes version you are proposing. Now that takes a lot of effort - as Mark Twain said "Sorry I wrote you a long letter, I didn't have time to write a short one" - but if you don't I'm sorry but everyone is just going to turn off and you will be posting into a vacuum of nobody reading.

Once you have people engaged through an elevator pitch, you can then develop the points out of it but long rambling texts which tell us what we can and can't do I'm pretty sure will get you nowhere.

Good luck.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm not aware of discrimination practices regarding cycling in the UK, I know someone who has a hand bike and have ridden with him. He's not prohibited from cycling on the public highways and appears to have the same access as myself. He most certainly have never mentioned to me, or discussed discrimination from a cycling perspective with me. I personally do not view him as having a disability as this term suggests someone to be lacking ability and I do not find this to be the case, he can cycle for serious distances and climb hills, I view him as any other cyclist .. In fact the biggest challenge I understand comes from having to deal with punctures.

mattobrien

Guru
One of the most unusual posts I have ever read. Lots of rule, do's and don'ts and much mentioning of trolling, or the fact that this will not be it. And heaven forbid if you want to quote something without first reading the rule book on quoting...

As far as I can see, a lot of words saying very little.

I will watch further posts with equal anticipation and bemusement :wacko:

One of the most unusual posts I have ever read. Lots of rule, do's and don'ts and much mentioning of trolling, or the fact that this will not be it. And heaven forbid if you want to quote something without first reading the rule book on quoting...

I

completely

agree

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is this going to be a helmet thread ?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

+1
I read it and feel as if I've been told off, but I don't know what for :sad:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm thoroughly confused having read through that post. I can only presume you've had a very poor experience on other internet forums hence the strange post instructing us how to read and reply to it. Im intrigued though, i didnt think cycling was discriminatory towards poor/disabled. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom