£5m for cycling infrastructure and free e-bike hire in South Yorkshire.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Excellent, hopefully that spreads to other areas.

D

Deleted member 121159

This shows just how cost efficient cycling infrastructure is. It costs hundreds of millions of pounds for a major local road project and tens of billions for a national one. Cycling infrastructure can be built at a fraction of the cost and will produce massive societal benefits like reducing motorised traffic, congestion, air pollution and improving public health. But securing even £5m will be a challenge if it's for walking and cycling, not cars. Looking forward to seeing the improvements in Sheffield.

Emanresu

They may build it but will it be maintained? Did about 40 miles yesterday, half of which was on a NCR. There were potholes galore including a couple of deep ones which cars had issues going over. Coupled with the holes being full of water they would be a danger to the unwary.

The council know about these as they have 'helpfully' put a couple of cones out.

tom73

Guru
They may build it but will it be maintained? Did about 40 miles yesterday, half of which was on a NCR. There were potholes galore including a couple of deep ones which cars had issues going over. Coupled with the holes being full of water they would be a danger to the unwary.

The council know about these as they have 'helpfully' put a couple of cones out.

Depends what you mean by infrastructure. Infrastructure in South Yorkshire means a bit of white paint or a blue sign on the pavement.
Old mayor Copout believes real infrastructure is not the key to getting more people on bikes. Money is better spent on other things to increase bike use. Sadly most of the money will be used on short term quick fix , tick box, good PR stuff. Like many placers ones in power have little vision or will to do anything that's well planned and will make the change we all need.

If my local greenway is an example, at least 10 years between re surfacing treatments. It got so bad at one point they put signs up warning of a rough surface, and my optician told me he came off on it a while back.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/8929292853cd46a08ede473ab6881194

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If my local greenway is an example, at least 10 years between re surfacing treatments. It got so bad at one point they put signs up warning of a rough surface, and my optician told me he came off on it a while back.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/8929292853cd46a08ede473ab6881194
Some are excellent though. I took this photo of the Padiham Greenway on a forum ride over 12 years ago...

1711894632913.png

I rode it again 2 weeks ago and the surface is still fantastic.

Some are excellent though. I took this photo of the Padiham Greenway on a forum ride over 12 years ago...

View attachment 726002

I rode it again 2 weeks ago and the surface is still fantastic.

Thats on my bucket list, I did a school trip to the power station probably only a year or two before it closed and I understand that path leads to it.

The greenway near me (Spen Valley) has been destroyed by roots, pushing the surface up and creating lots of mini speed humps! They seem to be raising the surface this time so hopefully any roots will not damage it in the future as it'll be deep enough to absorb any movement.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Measures to encourage people to walk and cycle more and being introduced in South Yorkshire:
BBC News.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czkzepvnm0go

Did they get a deal on white paint?

Is NCR The north circular road?

Top Bottom