Advice for first road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Campbell

Hi,
Im looking for advice for my first road bike as i am new to this area of cycling. I have been looking at bikes such as the 'Felt Z70 2008', but am unsure if this is a good bike for a beginner in the racing world. I realize that their are much better bikes out their but my funding for this bike is coming form a part-time job at waitrose so my budget is around £700. Im going to be using this bike for fitness, not for commuting and have thoughts of joining some sort of racing club. Any advice, tips and pointers to what bike would best match my needs and budget would be a massive help.
I know that this type of thread is often seen and i hope that it does not resemble the type of question that 'andyfromotley' was talking about in his recent Thread 'My advice to newbies'.

*My budget if just for the bike*

Thanks, :smile:
Campbell

wafflycat

The main thing is to get a bike that fits.

Go to local bike shops.
Try out various bikes for size, weight, comfort.
Don't buy the first bike you try - you may end up buying it, but not straightaway - try out several brands/models.
Is you budget just for the bike, with extras on top, such as lights, spares... or is your budget all-inclusive?

Aint Skeered

Hi Campbell, I don't know where in Surrey you are, but you have plenty of good and knowledgable bike shops in the Surrey area.
For what it's worth My LBS has started stocking Giant bikes, and you can get a good entry level bike for that sort of money. good luck,and post a pic on here of your purchase

OP
OP
C

Campbell

First Road bike.

Thanks for you advice and help, i live Godalming just outside of Guildford, i have been thinking of joining the 'Charlotteville Cycling Club' when i get my bike. I went to cycle works on London road in Guildford and saw a '2009 Specialized Allez' for £549.99 which looks relay good.

Top Bottom