Advice for newbies to sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I've got a few booked in May and have a couple of questions as well.

1. If the signing in period is from 8-9, is it best to sign early or not?
2. Is it best to hold off and let the keenest riders head off in the earlier groups?
3. Are there typically a lot of riders who are just riding for fun and to complete it, or are the majority competing against themselves for a good time?

tmcd35

1. I tend to sign in as early as poss so I can get going
2. I like to leave off as soon as I can, to give me as much time as possible
3. All the sportives/charity rides I've done have had a mixed bag. Most seem to be there for the fun/challenge. I got at my own, slow, pace and am happy to hav completed the mileage successfully.

RhythMick

Über Member
1. I tend to sign in as early as poss so I can get going
2. I like to leave off as soon as I can, to give me as much time as possible
3. All the sportives/charity rides I've done have had a mixed bag. Most seem to be there for the fun/challenge. I got at my own, slow, pace and am happy to hav completed the mileage successfully.
Yeah that's my approach too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Feed stations are usually really busy so as said above, wouldn't worry about leaving your bike unattended - and on the sportives I've ridden so far there wasn't a queue for the ladies loos, which makes a nice change!

Flyingfox

I'm thinking of doing a sportive this Summer as well, my issue is that I suffer from asthma and sometimes find it hard on the hills. Would I be 'looked down upon' if I had to get off and walk up, or do quite a few people not manage the hill climbs?

OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

I'm thinking of doing a sportive this Summer as well, my issue is that I suffer from asthma and sometimes find it hard on the hills. Would I be 'looked down upon' if I had to get off and walk up, or do quite a few people not manage the hill climbs?
I did my first charity ride on 1/4, some of the hills were pretty steep, and there were plenty of people on foot, most of them in fact. I understand sportives may be considered a little more competitive, but I imagine I may be one of those walkers at some stage. I can't imagine people would look down their nose at you, and if they did, well, they're not worth caring about. Good Luck, from a potential fellow walker. As long as we finish, eh? That's the achievement, and the goal, for your own pleasure, no-one elses.^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I'll join you with the asthma :cursing: - I've not let it stop me taking part though. My next check-up with the Asthma Nurse is on Monday. She'll probably :headshake:and say :stop: when I tell here that I did a 75 mile sportive the day before; I'm doing the Brian Robinson Challenge sportive in Kirklees tomorrow morning, despite the weather warning they've sent out today: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/th...klees-entries-open-sun-29th-april-2012.93087/

Quite a lot of people will walk the hills. That's just acceptable; it's not a race and we're all at different levels.

Flyingfox

I'll join you with the asthma :cursing: - I've not let it stop me taking part though..........
Quite a lot of people will walk the hills. That's just acceptable; it's not a race and we're all at different levels.

I don't let my asthma stop me from doing things, I know my limits and will work within them. If I feel I can't make a hill I will always walk rather than put myself at risk of an attack. Just really good to know I won't be looked down upon by people, and lots of others are walking too.

You are not a million miles from the start, so I would suggest riding round various parts of it. Especially the second quarter (i.e. from mile 15 to 30 approx) from having a quick look at the course, which will probably be the toughest. At least the second half of the ride is flat!

Remember it is supposed to be fun, not a race, so make sure you enjoy yourself.

deanE

I have booked my first sportive, the 95m Wight Ferry in July. This post has answered quite a few of my questions. Anyone else booked for this one? My main concern is timing, being swept up after missing the ferry. I hope to get off in first tranche to give myself a fair chance of finishing within the time.

tmcd35

Nothing wrong with walking up hills. Off to the Isle of Wight for tomorrows roundonne and I can think of one hill in particular I'll be walking up!

Zofo

Veteran
My top tips from several years of sportives:-

1 Familiarise yourself with a map of the route so you have an idea of distances to feed stations and position of any major climbs.

2 Arrive early so you can register and leave in the first groups, this way If you puncture early on you don't end up riding right at the back on your own.

3 It's always best to ride in a group if you can, you will use 30% less energy riding closely behind another rider. Remember to take a turn on the front otherwise you'll likely get some less than encouraging comments. With this in mind always look for groups to latch on the back of at feed stations, don't go charging off on your own if possible.

4 If there are no groups or you are struggling to keep up then you should ride at a steady conservative pace for the first 2/3 rds of the distance with the aim of upping the pace in the last 1/3 rd.

5 You should aim to be drinking a minimum of 500ml sports drink every hr-- eg High 5 etc.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
If you are following someone as you go passed a gate near a farmers field always keep your mouth closed.

You never know what might get thrown up off someones tyre!

Top Bottom