Advice for Person Not Used to High Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think this is an important question.
The first thing to ask yourself is what kind of a trip to Paris is this?
Is it a cycle trip, emphasis on covering the distance as efficiently as possible, or is it a touring trip, emphasis on smelling the roses, so to speak? If it's the former then an action plan of building up your distance & stamina makes sense. If it's the latter, then I don't think that's so important, at least not on a trip to Paris.
Both are valid alternatives. Neither approach is better than the other. It's entirely up to you. But it will affect how you go about things. If I was doing it I'd go for the cycling challenge approach. There are plenty on here who'd go for the touring approach, and seeing that you've posted in the "touring" section I suspect you might too.

The only advice I have regarding distance is to find the kind of riding you most enjoy, and do it.

Maybe scour the map for interesting things like windmills to visit. Maybe try checking out different cafes, refuelling and riding back. Discover what the highest point in (insert county here) is and go there. Just some ideas.

Regarding choice of equipment, provided you are riding a that is bike is well maintained, comfortable and the right size, then the actual type of bike (and type of handlebars!) doesn't make a huge amount of difference really. (Unless you need to consider luggage carrying capacity, then it might get interesting). I ride a drop bar bike. I like it, and successfully ride quite long distances on it. I don't have the money, time or storage space to buy a whole load of different bikes and to ride them all to see which one I like the best, so I stick with the one I have. It may be sub-optimal, but not by much.

contadino

Veteran
@Ice2911 system works for me. At a minimum I use 20mile segments. 20 miles, then stop for tea and cake, another 20 then lunch, then 20 more before thinking about wrapping it up.

If you build up to just riding 2x20mile segments in a day, the third one's a breeze.

On a long ride or if the going is good (i.e Normandy), you can tack on another afternoon segment without too much duress. More than 80 miles/day for me is too quick to enjoy the ride. YMMV.

Oh, and don't underestimate how much easier it gets during the ride. Day 1 is normally fine, day 2 you might feel it a bit, day 3 less so, day 4 you're invincible.

Top Bottom