Advice for Women's Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ebeth12

Hello all :smile:

So I used to cycle to work, up until a few months ago when I stopped because my bike finally reached its end. But now I'm thinking I'd like to cycle to work again, and am looking to get a bike through the Cycle to Work scheme. Only thing is I'm struggling with what to get and wondered if you guys can help...?

I'm a short, very overweight female which obviously makes things tricky. My last bike was an upright Pendleton, but I had thought of trying a 'normal' position as opposed to an upright positioned bike, as this is the kind of bike I used to ride as a kid - but I've very recently taken two bikes out on a test ride (the Specialized Alibi Sports and the Pinnacle Lithium 3) and both times really struggled because my knees felt way too high up, which is odd because I'm so short (4'11") that you'd never think this would be an issue! It's such an odd thing - my knees just felt really high, even when I raised the saddle higher, and kept hitting my stomach as I ride (granted, it's a big stomach, but I don't remember this being an issue when I was riding a few months ago, and I'm the same size as I was then). Is this just because I'm out of touch with non-upright bikes? Is it the bikes I was trying? Or is it simply because of my size? It just made cycling feel like such an effort and I know I'd never be keen to jump on either of those bikes.

I'm looking for a hybrid, as I'd like to use it for commuting to work, but also for general rides (cycle trails etc.) at the weekend/summer evenings to try and get fit. I'm more focused on ease of riding and comfort rather than speed - it's got to be something which I want to ride, as opposed to feeling I should ride, or I know I'll just never do it.

So:
  • Can anyone recommend what's best, upright or 'normal' cycling position?
  • Does anyone know why recumbent cycles are feeling so uncomfortable so far?
  • Can anyone recommend something at all? I definitely want a women's-specific hybrid, and I'm looking to spend around £300-500 plus accessories. In terms of weight limits there isn't usually a problem as I tend to fall just below these...
Thank you in advance for your help!!

Beth :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It may be that the pedal crank was too long on the bikes you tried, try to find a LBS (local bike shop) that are prepared to swap the crank for a 160/165 length one so your knees don't have to go up as far.

You say the 'Pendleton' died, is it not repairable?

Oh and BTW :welcome: to Cyclechat.

vickster

Legendary Member
My larger 5’3 friend ended up with a Giant Liv hybrid with front suspension (alight model maybe), worth a look :smile:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum

Try as I might I can't imagine why your knees are hitting your stomach. When peddling your leg should be about straight with the crank at six o' clock. The bikes are quite upright. Could be the smallest size is too big for you and the saddle is too low. They recommend the small for someone of 5'2" on the Spesh. You could be too stretched out.

Try to find a smaller frame and see if its any better.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I think @Reynard is about your eye level. From whay I remember she's currently on a Wiggins juior road bike but has been looking at flat bar/hybrid bikes so may be able to offer some assistance.

Was your last bike, the Pendleton, comfortable for you? if so why not get another if it's still available in your size?

Hello @Ebeth12 :hello:

Yep, I'm also 4ft 11, so I know exactly where you're coming from. Wouldn't be surprised if the bikes you tested are a tad too big - I struggle with even the smallest ladies' frames.

I ride a Wiggins Rouen 650 junior roadie (which I love to bits), but am intending on springing for the Wiggins Chartres 26 at some point soonish as I want something I can ride in mucky / icy conditions when I wouldn't dare venture out in on a skinny-tyred road bike. There's another lady our height on here - @wanda2010 - who actually does ride a Chartres, and I know she digs it.

216348?w=637&h=403.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/wiggins-chartres-junior-hybrid-bike-26-wheel

Aside from the Wiggins (which is on offer at the moment, BTW, so currently comes in *under* budget) there is the junior version of the Carrera Subway - also with 26 inch wheels. It's cheaper than the Wiggins by a fair margin, but that also means it's not as well specced, and it's heavier by around 3kg iirc. If you want a rack, panniers, mudguards, then that difference in weight might be a factor.

There's also Islabikes and Frog to consider - but they are towards the upper end of your budget.

Best bit of advice is find something that you *want* to ride, that fits you and that's comfy. If that happens to be a junior bike, then there's no shame in that.

P.S. I'm 9 stone, so not exactly a skinny minnie.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
:hello: I heard my name ^_^

@Ebeth12 - if your knees are hitting your stomach then you are too stretched out. Possibilities - the bike is too big for you or the saddle could do with being brought forward a bit (towards the handlebar). Or stick a Ahead extender on it which raises the handlebars. You might need longer cables though. Are the cranks 165mm?

I have the Wiggins Chartres and I do love it. But. With loaded panniers, it 'wobbles', as discovered on last year's Fridays tour and subsequent food shopping trips. It just means I need to ride with a little more care. The fat tyres are a bonus on London's potholed streets and the disc brakes are a boon when cycling in the rain/wet. It does squeal a bit, but not so loud as to annoy other. Pity. I also bought slimmer tyres cos I still think I'm a speed merchant - really not true but the mind is a funny thing :laugh:

Saying all that I'm getting a new bike in a few weeks, which means the Chartres will need a new home at some point.

I have the Wiggins Chartres and I do love it. But. With loaded panniers, it 'wobbles', as discovered on last year's Fridays tour and subsequent food shopping trips. It just means I need to ride with a little more care. The fat tyres are a bonus on London's potholed streets and the disc brakes are a boon when cycling in the rain/wet. It does squeal a bit, but not so loud as to annoy other. Pity. I also bought slimmer tyres cos I still think I'm a speed merchant - really not true but the mind is a funny thing :laugh:

Saying all that I'm getting a new bike in a few weeks, which means the Chartres will need a new home at some point.

How wibbly does it get btw, as I intend to stick rack & panniers on to run local errands. Though admittedly I'm unlikely to be riding fully loaded.

What tyres did you fit to yours, out of interest? I know it runs 26x1.75 as standard. One of my reasons for getting one now is that I can fit either knobblies or winter tyres to it should the need arise; I live out in the boonies, with all the mud, animal poo, puddles and ice that that entails. :blush: And the Rouen only takes 23mm slicks. I was fine last winter as it was reasonably dry, but this time round, what with the snow and all, I didn't get out as often as I'd have liked.

wanda2010

Guru
I have the standard tyres on it and also bought a pair of Schwalbe Durano slicks which I used on long rides. The wobble isn't that bad. I used it for shopping yesterday and even shook it, loaded, to see what happens. Don't forget it survived a week's cyling touring over road/off-road. You should be fine with one.

Oh, thanks for that :thumbsup:

The Easter offer at Halfords finishes tomorrow, but I can sit tight till later in the year till they do another offer. Not in any major hurry tbh. If yours needs rehoming, do let me know xxx

Top Bottom