Advice needed for getting a good helmet that fits well.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I seem to remember an arguement possibly on here that infact some of the more expensive ones were actually less protective because the big vents mean a greater risk of intrusion. Interesting that they seem to get more and more thin or ventilated as the price goes up, but Team GB road cyclists are using those cheap looking ventless helmets. Im sure theres a reason behind it :smile:
I bought a Specialized Align one which is good to Snell B95A I think. It's pretty comfortable and doesn't cost silly money, about £30. Does it work....? .....I have absolutely no idea, and I really don't care either!
I noticed when reading someone elses Which? Magazine that the Specialized Align came top of their recent helmet review - not that its probably the best source. I have the Max version and am happy enough with it, same shape and price just bigger to fit my fat head into it :smile:

Boon 51

Veteran
After an accident that could have been very much worse I have decided to buy a helmet. There are loads on Amazon and other sites but I don't really like buying anything that I'm going to wear online. It is just far too much hassle when things don't fit or are uncomfortable or just do not look like you thought they would.
That said what is the best way of going about buying a helmet (LBS will be my first port of call but if folk know other ways then I'm all ears)? What are things to look out for in a helmet. I'm not made of money but having made the decision to get one I'm prepared to spend enough to get something decent. I'd hate to have finally made the concession to wear a helmet only for it not to be as effective as it could be.

I understand what you mean on getting the right helmet, I did try several and in there own way all fitted but which one was right...
Did you get one in the end?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I understand what you mean on getting the right helmet, I did try several and in there own way all fitted but which one was right...
Did you get one in the end?
I'm still using my old one. It's a Bell so has an adjustable fitting but still not very comfy for that. It'll do for now until I can physically get to a large bike emporium who have lots of helmets to try.

After an accident that could have been very much worse I have decided to buy a helmet. There are loads on Amazon and other sites but I don't really like buying anything that I'm going to wear online. It is just far too much hassle when things don't fit or are uncomfortable or just do not look like you thought they would.
That said what is the best way of going about buying a helmet (LBS will be my first port of call but if folk know other ways then I'm all ears)? What are things to look out for in a helmet. I'm not made of money but having made the decision to get one I'm prepared to spend enough to get something decent. I'd hate to have finally made the concession to wear a helmet only for it not to be as effective as it could be.

After your accident which could have been much worse are there any other contributing factors which you think could be addressed to prevent it happening again?

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm still using my old one. It's a Bell so has an adjustable fitting but still not very comfy for that. It'll do for now until I can physically get to a large bike emporium who have lots of helmets to try.

I've got to get one for sure I feel unsafe without a crash hat on, I suppose thats doing years on a motorbike..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As others have said try them on - certain brands seem to suit different shaped heads better depending on whether you have a round head or a long narrow one. Also look at the adjustments (the cheapest helmets which I would avoid), only have the basic under chin strap, whereas as the price goes up slightly they get the additional adjustments at the back - check that you find it easy to use.

Size wise think about whether you will be putting a buff underneath. I can just get my head into a Small sized one but the assistant pointed out that if I wanted to use a buff in wintertime that I should get the medium instead.

I'm going looking for a helmet later on - mine needs replacing - I like the slightly rounded smooth look at the back - so it is either going to be another Specialized Tactic for me or I see there is a similar Specialized Andorra (looks like the Tactic with a few lines on it to me).

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
After your accident which could have been much worse are there any other contributing factors which you think could be addressed to prevent it happening again?
For my part there wan't a great deal I could have done to avoid this. If I had been more vigilant and actually been expecting her to turn right, across my path then I think I could have lessened the severity of it. It really was one of the very few times that I did not make absolutely sure that the driver had seen me. There was a lot of sun glare off her windscreen and I could not tell that I hadn't made eye contact. Also I couldn't see if she was indicating or not because of the bright sun.
I wasn't being as careful as I usually am but I was by no means being careless. I've been back out on the roads since and the first couple of times have got back after a short ride exhausted from being hyper vigilant but fortunately I am calming down a bit. I don't think it helps to be too wound up or too relaxed.

Boon 51

Veteran
As others have said try them on - certain brands seem to suit different shaped heads better depending on whether you have a round head or a long narrow one. Also look at the adjustments (the cheapest helmets which I would avoid), only have the basic under chin strap, whereas as the price goes up slightly they get the additional adjustments at the back - check that you find it easy to use.

Size wise think about whether you will be putting a buff underneath. I can just get my head into a Small sized one but the assistant pointed out that if I wanted to use a buff in wintertime that I should get the medium instead.

I'm going looking for a helmet later on - mine needs replacing - I like the slightly rounded smooth look at the back - so it is either going to be another Specialized Tactic for me or I see there is a similar Specialized Andorra (looks like the Tactic with a few lines on it to me).

New to this.. so what is a buff's benefit under your crash hat..

Top Bottom