Advice needed for getting a good helmet that fits well.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
My last two helmets have been from Lidl and cost less than a tenner. They are ok but somewhat over warm for a sweaty chap like me.

What I found to be a useful exercise was going to the Specialized Concept shop. They have a display of all the helmets in their range. I compared weights with my current hat. The cheap ones were the same or heavier. The mid range ones were about the same, they might be lighter but not noticeably so. The top of the range ones were much lighter, definite improvement.

Apparently the more expensive ones also have better air flow and so are cooler in the summer.

I would assume that this pattern of helmet models is pretty much the same for all manufacturers

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A buff can be worn with or without a helmet. It is a tube of thin stretchy material that is very thin and so you can make a hat by twisting it or a bandana etc. Some use them in summer to stop sweat dripping down their foreheads (I don't - too warm to wear one for me), but I use it in winter to keep my head warm and in the depths of winter I have one around my neck too. Trying to fit any kind of normal hat underneath the same helmet as you wear in summer is impossible.

Link to the buff website (but non buff buff's are also available - but not in so many different designs - I'm gullible). Good present idea when someone wants to buy you something and asks you for an idea.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My last two helmets have been from Lidl and cost less than a tenner. They are ok but somewhat over warm for a sweaty chap like me.

What I found to be a useful exercise was going to the Specialized Concept shop. They have a display of all the helmets in their range. I compared weights with my current hat. The cheap ones were the same or heavier. The mid range ones were about the same, they might be lighter but not noticeably so. The top of the range ones were much lighter, definite improvement.

Apparently the more expensive ones also have better air flow and so are cooler in the summer.

I would assume that this pattern of helmet models is pretty much the same for all manufacturers

Agree, I use a Lidl helmet and it is okay, but lacks ventilation and is noticeably heavy compared with more expensive helmets. IMO the difference between a Lidl helmet and a £30-50 "branded" helmet is quite obvious, lots more ventilation and also weight is less (I find it quite noticeable). I would always choose a better helmet than a Lidl in future, because of the increased ventilation and marginally better fit. It is not me being snobby, the Lidl helmet really is a good bit of kit for the money and I still use mine, it fits reasonable well too and has good adjustment, it is just too warm!

What you pay for in terms of a better helmet is, less weight and more ventilation, the reason the cost goes up with these features is because it becomes increasingly difficult to meet safety standards as you keep adding more and more vents and removing material, so more engineering goes into them than the lower end helmets.

Additionally more expensive helmets tend to look a bit better. As for fitting, well that depends on the brand's, some brands have a better fit in the high end helmets but I believe some utilise the same technology for fitting the helmet to your head throughout the range.

The Specialized Echelon is a good all round helmet as are the similarly priced Giro and LG helmets. Not sure on Lazer, they are popular and get good reviews but I have never tried one on so don't want to comment, I do like the idea of the aeroshell covers they do for their helmets though, for keeping the rain out (and a bit of an aero benefit).

Ventilation is not compatible with increased protection!

The way a helmet works is thatthe material absorbs the energy of the impact. With more ventilation there is less material to absorb that energy.

Secondly the remaining material needs to be denser and stiffer to maintain the rigidity and form, so again absorbs less energy.

So given the above there is in fact an argument that you need to decide on increasing ventilation and decreasing protection, or increasing protection at the expensse of ventilation.

So given the above there is in fact an argument that you need to decide on increasing ventilation and decreasing protection, or increasing protection at the expensse of ventilation.

I believe the word you are looking for is 'compromise'. You could go out wearing an Arai RX-7 and still end up in hospital....

Keep the thread on topic, please. You know where to go for your helmet debating kicks.

In this case ....
This was a comparison between helmets, not whether or not to wear on - that decision is made here.

However the comments on the compromise between ventilation and protection are valid

Robeh

My last two helmets have been from Lidl and cost less than a tenner
just bought one for my grandaughter good Quality helmet......£8.99
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_33900.htm

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I use Specialized S-Work Prevail hemets as not only do they meet british standards but meet the tougher Snell B-90A helmet standards.
I also find them to be exceptionally light when compared to other helmets and very well vented and it is this which makes me a fan of the helmet above anything.
The helmet is also widely in use in the pro-peleton and I believe the teams will use the very best product the supplier has available

Trying to fit any kind of normal hat underneath the same helmet as you wear in summer is impossible.

A standard cotton peaked cycling cap fits perfectly under a helmet and has the advantage that when it becomes saturated in sweat it drips off the end of the peak out of the way rather than, as with a buff, releasing it into your eyes.

Top Bottom