Advice needed! Like for Like rear rim replacement for a Charge Plug-0 (2015)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I love my Charge Plug-0 2015 (best spec I could source: https://www.evanscycles.com/charge-plug-0-2015-singlespeed-bike-EV222931) And I normally get lovely bike shop folks to fix any issues I have had - but in five years this has only ever had cables, inner tubes and tyres replaced. And I am not a good carer when it comes to it - hence I love it, for I do 10+ hours on it a week, every week for getting about.

About ten days ago I had my rear axle broke and so I scurried into town and found someone who could replace it on the day - only catch is it is a different size and now it doesn't ride the same. (I got different size inner tube and tyres so it works). Basically I would like to buy online a 'like-for-like' for my rear wheel with respect to dimension & function as the original.

The issue I am having when trying to source 'like-for-like' replacement is the spec from Evans says the rims are 'Shield 700c double wall 32h'. And when I google this I get a sea of things that don't exactly match and I have no idea how to refine my search. Or what is sensible. To be under a hundred is ideal - but given the original bike is only £279 rims at £50 or £60 feels more reasonable.

Incase it is helpful the tyres that have been excellent on it are the 'Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28C' And I have spares so I would ideally like these to still work with it. And the inner tubes I have (both slime an not slime are also 700c 28c)

Basically HEEEELP, I am a complete noob with this so apologies if I have missed any helpful specs or if this is a very simple question.

Important to me is the rims are strong (im a good 6 foot and 90kg and I will do the full weeks shop on it) durable and last a long time. I dont give a monkeys for colour/brand.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I had a Charge Plug 3 2013 version (same as the 1 at the time, but with a 3spd Sturmey Archer hub) and that had Alexrims on something or other hubs - Nothing special at all on a £450 bike.

You're going to hate me for this, but the wheel spec as per the Evans listing reads like an £80 pair of wheels with cup and cone bearings, 32 spokes, etc. You may find an LBS that can find something in a box that will do the job but if something as serious as the axle is broken, then pound to a penny the bearings are shot too. So you might be looking at new hubs, which requires a wheel build, etc, etc.

I'd just buy new wheels.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think the implication of the op post is that they have bought a new wheel, but want to replace it with an equivalent one to the original - I don't think replacing the axle alone would result in needing different tyre and tube....

Op, can you clarify what exactly you have replaced?

I really wouldn't buy Superstar wheels. There's a reason why they're cheap.
Are they actually that cheap?
(The price of some wheels folks buy for nontourgiro use amazes me)
Also have the idea that they tend to use cartridge bearings, which I avoid.

On the op,i'd look at some of the lighter wheels from spa, handbuilt, with ball bearing hubs. A premium to start with. But buy two spare rims, in the meantime learn how to rerim wheels. If buying new wheels these days i wouldn't buy any wheels where i couldn't be sure-ish of a steady supply of the same rims.
Maintain the hubs properly and you can then, with a bit of triggering, roll onto the grave on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
noooob_own_bike_fixer
I think the implication of the op post is that they have bought a new wheel, but want to replace it with an equivalent one to the original - I don't think replacing the axle alone would result in needing different tyre and tube....

Op, can you clarify what exactly you have replaced?

The guy replaced my entire wheel (rim, spokes, axel baring etc) So you are correct in that I wanted to buy a 'similar to what they were before' rims.

The measurements/numbers different sites give for wheel specs appear so varied that was why I wanted to ask folks who could translate them and point me towards a new wheel/what to search for. Using 700c 32c double wall doesn't seem to be a 'thing' to search for.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The guy replaced my entire wheel (rim, spokes, axel baring etc) So you are correct in that I wanted to buy a 'similar to what they were before' rims.

The measurements/numbers different sites give for wheel specs appear so varied that was why I wanted to ask folks who could translate them and point me towards a new wheel/what to search for. Using 700c 32c double wall doesn't seem to be a 'thing' to search for.

Alright. You need someone more expert than me to advise on rim sizes. I'm surprised a 700x28 won't fit as it's neither very narrow nor very wide. Have you tried it?

I suggest posting:

1. The numbers on the tyre you've bought or been supplied with the new wheel. This will be something like 622-32 or similar. Also include the brand.

2. Are there any dimensions on a sticker on the rim? If not, take the tyre off and measure the distance between the rim walls (inner to inner and outer to outer if possible)

Tom B

Guru
I really wouldn't buy Superstar wheels. There's a reason why they're cheap.

You've mentioned that before but I must say I'm very satisfied with their parts and their hubs are well regarded. The no brand rims do worry me but then I've had some crappy soft mavics that I've bashed Flats in to easily and other home brands, including an Alex rims that failed spectacularly when new. Equally my clunker has some no name things that are remarkably robust and just keep going no matter how much I abuse them.

Or are you implying their wheelbuilding / assembly could be better?

OP
OP
noooob_own_bike_fixer
Alright. You need someone more expert than me to advise on rim sizes. I'm surprised a 700x28 won't fit as it's neither very narrow nor very wide. Have you tried it?

I suggest posting:

1. The numbers on the tyre you've bought or been supplied with the new wheel. This will be something like 622-32 or similar. Also include the brand.

2. Are there any dimensions on a sticker on the rim? If not, take the tyre off and measure the distance between the rim walls (inner to inner and outer to outer if possible)

1) The tyres I have a few of are 'Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28C'.
2) The 'replacement' rim has a sticker on it. It has two lines: LA05 ETRTO 622-20C followed beneath by: ALLOY 6061 700C X 35-42

I got a one 'Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35C' to tide me over with the rim in number 2). Since switching to this size tyre no punctures.

What I am looking for is a rim that works with tyres that can take tyres of size 1) - as this is what my front wheel also takes.
I wish to match the size of my front wheel which has 700c X 32C on it. (This matches the spec on the Evans website which is where I got it from)

Thank you guys! ^_^

Top Bottom