Advice needed -returning a damaged bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Citizens Advice Bureau? A local solicitor offering free consultations? Local Trading Standards? A consumer watchdog web site/forum?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What kind of feedback/reviews has the seller received from previous customers?

Now that you have involved Amazon by raising an official dispute claim then the seller should stop trying it on and do the right thing, I expect Amazon will be quite draconian with errant sellers as they won't want the Amazon brand to be damaged. I recently had a small dispute with a seller over a £6.99 item that never arrived. They asked me to check with neighbours and the local sorting office. I pointed out that they initially claimed to send it via Hermes! I waited a reasonable time and they then claimed to not have anymore in stock so would offer a refund. The refund never came despite a nudge or two which resulted in additional questions like could I confirm details/addresses etc, all stuff they already had. I threatened to open an Amazon dispute and hey presto, a refund in my account within 24hrs. I guess they never had the item to send but thought I wouldn't bother chasing a relatively small sum if they made it awkward to get a refund. How wrong they were!

I should think you will get resolution through Amazon.

U

User482

If he bought it with a credit card he could get a refund on that.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would have thought you have a mandatory 14 days return period. Also don't go through the seller contact Amazon direct. They are pretty hard on their sellers and have the viewpoint that the customer is always right.

Was it a Chinese sellers? Trading standards won't have anything to do with the part about the condition the bike returned in the act on behalf of the consumer normally.

Mile195

Veteran
I understand that damage in transit really isn't your problem - that's between the courier and the retailer. The problem can of course be proving it was damaged in transit, and not before it went in the box. However, you've got photos which I think is the most you can reasonably be expected to do, and based on that his credit card company ought to side with him and do a chargeback if the retailer still refuses to issue a refund directly.

Fortunately in this country the law is very much on the side of the buyer, especially when it comes to "distance selling".

Andrew_P

In between here and there
[QUOTE 3991278, member: 45"]The regulations state "reasonable period". Iv'e had this before with a damaged bed from M&S. I argued that I couldn't unpack and assemble the bed immediately, and it's when I did that I discovered the damage. An email to Head Office and they coughed up.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure legislation has changed, and online do have 14 days soon to be extended to 30 days

MikeW-71

Veteran
Distance selling regs are that you can return the product for a refund for any reason within 7 working days. Essentially you are cancelling the order.

With goods bought from a store, you have a right to a refund for faulty goods in the first 30 days. That applies for goods purchased after 1st October 2015.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
What kind of feedback/reviews has the seller received from previous customers?

Now that you have involved Amazon by raising an official dispute claim then the seller should stop trying it on and do the right thing, I expect Amazon will be quite draconian with errant sellers as they won't want the Amazon brand to be damaged. I recently had a small dispute with a seller over a £6.99 item that never arrived. They asked me to check with neighbours and the local sorting office. I pointed out that they initially claimed to send it via Hermes! I waited a reasonable time and they then claimed to not have anymore in stock so would offer a refund. The refund never came despite a nudge or two which resulted in additional questions like could I confirm details/addresses etc, all stuff they already had. I threatened to open an Amazon dispute and hey presto, a refund in my account within 24hrs. I guess they never had the item to send but thought I wouldn't bother chasing a relatively small sum if they made it awkward to get a refund. How wrong they were!

I should think you will get resolution through Amazon.

+1 I've just started contact (not dispute yet) with Amazon over a faulty/damaged Sturmey Archer hub and so far they are being reasonable and assisting me in a 3 way conversation with SA as to if it is viable to assess and fix or replace.

I bought it from the warehouse section, described as used-good condition but when I've had it built into a wheel, the internal are either dramatically faulty from manufacture or wrecked by whoever used it and they've deceived Amazon upon return to how bad it is, Its a tin of barely engaging neutrals even when set up and re set up exactly to SA spec..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You have documentary/photographic evidence of the bikes faults and how it was packaged prior to return. They claim to have the same, taken from their POV. I guess the next step is to submit your evidence to Amazon and invite them to submit their counter evidence and allow Amazon to adjudicate?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149571

About A-to-z Guarantee
We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.co.uk website or use Amazon Payments; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.co.uk website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

This applies to purchases made on the Amazon.co.uk website. For purchases made on third-party websites using Amazon Payments, go to Amazon A-to-z Guarantee on the Amazon Payments Help page.

Customers who pay for purchases from an Marketplace Seller via the Amazon.co.uk website are eligible to receive up to £2,500 of the purchase price, including delivery charges.

For more information on when you can file an A-to-z claim, go to A-to-z Claim Conditions.

SD1

If he bought it with a credit card he could get a refund on that.
Not as easy as you think. They insist you supply a report from competent person in this case a cycle mechanic. AND you keep the bike to provide proof. I am comparing with similar problem I had.

SD1

[QUOTE 3991072, member: 45"]-who would be liable for any damage that might have occurred during return transit? t.[/QUOTE]
The seller obviously as he supplied the return. You for instance cannot claim from the PO (if he had used them) as you didn't pay.
[QUOTE 3991072, member: 45"]they were speaking to Trading Standards and Amazon before replying to my friend.[/QUOTE]
What the feck has trading standards got to do with it? Looks like they are trying to wear you down.
I would think Amazon would sort it.

Top Bottom