Advice needed -returning a damaged bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 4047812, member: 45"]Finally, remaining £85 refunded today. I'm not sure whether it's come from Amazon or the seller, but at this point I'm not particularly bothered, as we're finally done with having to deal with Jorvik.

Now to look at a couple of used Pashley trikes.

And I'm not sure what to do about Jorvik and reviews. Any review we put on Amazon would be in the name of the poor chap who was diddled with the bike and who I've been helping out, so I'm reluctant to put his name to anything I say. And anyway, Jorvik have taken to taking down any sales with negative feedback and readvertising the bikes on a new page.[/QUOTE]

You can post a review on the product, which is also Jorvik, without being a confirmed customer, so feel free to do it in your name or a fresh amazon account.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
From their latest batch of offerings they now apparently come equipped with "WORLD RENOUND SHIMANO SIS INDEX TOURNEY 6 SPEED REAR DERAILLIUER/GEAR"...be still my beating heart......

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
How about:

"Please be sure to photograph the packaging upon arrival, before opening it. Photograph the bike in each separate part, noting any damage and any possible discrepancies. Carefully photograph assembly demonstrating correct tool usage at each stage. Photograph the stopping of assembly with big signs saying "Oh no" pointing to the parts that will not fit. Photograph the disassembly, again taking care to point out tool usage and techniques being used. Photograph parts being rewrapped and repackaged, and phototgraph cheerful courier collecing the carefully packaged item for return in his possession. You will need these photos for the inevitable claim you will end up making against Jorvik. Yours, Mister P."

Not so much a review, more a "how to" for the next person who has to deal with them

stearman65

HMMMMMM
I've been buying & selling through the internet since 2004, & currently have over a 1000 100% positive feedback on Ebay. I'm afraid Amazon are not the company they were & in the circumstances the possibility of getting anything back from them was/is pretty remote. Unless you complain within 24 hours, it's a struggle. I prefer Ebay & Payal, although the process can sometimes be protracted. We are making the trip to York as a day out as well as trying the trike in our car before actually purchasing. I'll report my findings on here. In the meantime if anyone else has any issues with the Jorvik trike, please let me know.
On another subject, the massive increase in Chinese imports & their infiltration on Ebay & of them claiming to be UK based is reaching epidemic proportions. Last week I bought a pair of kitchen steps, pertaining to come from a supplier in Jersey. 7 days later i got an overnight email (always a warning it isn't from the UK) claiming the steps had been returned as damaged by Royal Mail. I made further checks on the supplier & the are from China with a Jersey agent. I now have a refund but no steps yet!!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I appreciate it wasn't the case in your case, but overnight emails don't always mean foreign. I used to work overnight when I was on flexible working due to prescription medication side effects. I guess these days, I'd have to schedule emails to send later!

keithmac

Guru
That's the worst thing about ebay, a few times I've ordered from UK based stock only to find it takes 2 weeks to come from China. Sellers should be banned for this imho..

Saying that the only time I was ripped off through ebay, PayPal sorted it out quicky and efficiently.

HMMMMMM
I've been buying & selling through the internet since 2004, & currently have over a 1000 100% positive feedback on Ebay. I'm afraid Amazon are not the company they were & in the circumstances the possibility of getting anything back from them was/is pretty remote. Unless you complain within 24 hours, it's a struggle. I prefer Ebay & Payal, although the process can sometimes be protracted. We are making the trip to York as a day out as well as trying the trike in our car before actually purchasing. I'll report my findings on here. In the meantime if anyone else has any issues with the Jorvik trike, please let me know.
On another subject, the massive increase in Chinese imports & their infiltration on Ebay & of them claiming to be UK based is reaching epidemic proportions. Last week I bought a pair of kitchen steps, pertaining to come from a supplier in Jersey. 7 days later i got an overnight email (always a warning it isn't from the UK) claiming the steps had been returned as damaged by Royal Mail. I made further checks on the supplier & the are from China with a Jersey agent. I now have a refund but no steps yet!!!!

Haydena

Regular
The letter from Emma is unprofessional and full of bullshit and bluster, "After consulting with Amazon, Trading Standards and our Lawyers". What lawyers? They are a partnership with £2 capital! Use the small claims court, it's simple and cheap, you have enough evidence to make a good case and they seem chancers who when it comes to it, may well back down.

The following is in context and though not edited is the first paragraph of an email from Jorvick who are trying to bully me into backing off from my genuine complaints. The extract is their warped interpretation of someone standing their ground and is nonsense I assure you. The proceedings continue. Here is the extract .......... oh and mine is the electric version which has also become electrically faulty.
Dear Mr Hayden,

The owner is not in the office today.

We are having to put this in writing due to the previous threats to our company and now need to document all conversations. We do take your threats of slander about our company very serious and are monitoring the situation carefully.

Last edited:

Haydena

Regular
[QUOTE 3991552, member: 45"]I've just had this from the company....

Dear M******, After consulting with Amazon, Trading Standards and our Lawyers, due to the damages which the tricycle has been returned with,( please see attached photos, many more available). We are unable to offer a full refund as we do not admit liability to the damages initially mentioned by your friend or your friends opinion that the tricycle is of poor quality.No damages or faults were reported before the build had commenced, which leads us to believe they caused by the non professional build We also can not offer a full refund due to the extreme damages the trike now has since it has been in your possession.In our professional opinion this has occurred during the building process by your friend ***** or/and during the return delivery due to the lack/non existence of packaging material. Parts of the front brake system were also missing due to them being loose in the box. Upon return of the tricycle even before the box was opened we could hear metal touching metal which was also mentioned by the TNT courier. Due to this alarming sound we filmed the box being opened for our records/evidence, along with a large catalogue of photographic evidence. We advertise as professional build only. Our returns policy is also very clear on the advert/website which we sent on 2 occasions to ******* who was dealing with it on your behalf before collection was arranged, stating that the buyer is responsible for the safe return and any damages occurred would be the buyers responsibility. We also had to arrange 2 collections as the 1st free attempt was a no show as no-one was at the address on the date arranged by yourself. In conclusion our only option due to the extreme damages caused to the tricycle whilst in your possession is to return the trike to yourself. Due to our excellent reputation and customer service as a goodwill gesture we will replace the front missing brake, cracked gear changer, and the rear dérailleur cable bolt ( all of which we refute was caused by Jorvik Tricycles/ TNT either prior to delivery or during delivery). Any further further damage the tricycle has occurred will remain for you to deal with as you wish. We will photograph and document these damages before return. We will re-wrap the tricycle in the proper manner and return to yourself free of charge. More evidence is available. Kindest Regards Emma

I've not seen any photos. Re the two collections, we agreed on a certain day, they arranged collection for a day we told them there would be no-one in.[/QUOTE]

When I took delivery of my Jorvik Trike, it came the week after it should have, and came to my house in stead of Halfords who they said would build it. I had to remove the trike from the box and pay £15 in a premier taxi to take it to Halfords. The parts were packed in the taxi as carefully as you would treat a baby. I will confirm that the derailleur was bent to the left but did not think anything of it and neither did Halfords as it was their first trike build and done with great care. They always blame everyone else and say as a good will gesture bla bla bla, the proceedings continue.

Haydena

Regular
The letter from Emma is unprofessional and full of bullshit and bluster, "After consulting with Amazon, Trading Standards and our Lawyers". What lawyers? They are a partnership with £2 capital! Use the small claims court, it's simple and cheap, you have enough evidence to make a good case and they seem chancers who when it comes to it, may well back down.
Jorvik Trikes are coming to inspect my trike tomorrow so as to potentially give a refund. I have taken pictures as proof of condition, and the bank said to get the refund in writing. It has become an ongoing pain in the ass but I hope for their sake that they give the refund, otherwise its a charge back or a small claims court. They offered a refund a while back, but said that the trike had to be in good working condition which is stupid because they know it has a loud banging and the electric wheel has developed a big judder. When I said that the refund terms were not possible, they said, we told you that we accept the trikes problems as part of the refund terms, caught them out because, thats not what their email says. They refuse to accept any criticism, but they know how to be rude and put the phone down. They say that I have no substantiation about my claims about the trike, which is B S because my bank has all the appertaining documents, hardly no substantiation Jorvik!. Oh and I will tell my story without fear of them potentially taking legal action against me. I think that they lack intelligence.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4577437, member: 45"]I'd be a bit wary of them coming out to see you. You might want to record the meeting.[/QUOTE]
If you're going to that, make certain they know they're being recorded.

dim

my wife had a very close look at the Jorvik trikes, but ended up buying an Ammaco trike instead .... I was a bit sceptical about the quality, but so far so good .... it's not to Pashley standards (I tried to convince her to get a Pashley), but she wanted 26 inch wheels

Haydena

Regular
[QUOTE 4577488, member: 45"]I'd make very certain. It might reduce the chances of the kind of guff they spouted at me in emails. (I still have the emails Jorvik, just in case you're reading this).[/QUOTE]
Thank you for all your advice Mr Paul, regards H, I will up date you of the result!

Haydena

Regular
How did it go with Jorvik today, @Haydena? Did they turn up?
Success Success Success! And just in time for Christmas. A very nice Jorvik technician came on time and we had a relaxing and educating for me, chat about the trike. I suggested to Jorvik, a little less refund amount because I lost the front light, I had used it for a short time, I had to replace a key I lost, so one original and one copy key for the return, and because I am realistic and reasonable. The technician and the owner were happy with the aesthetics of the trike, as I had looked after it and there were just a few scuffs and a little paint chip on the top of the support that holds the battery. They now have the trike, and the refund is being processed from World Pay, through to my bank and will be available shortly. Over the next week or so, I will inform all concerned including, officials and people such as here and other networking banta. I mentioned to the engineer that logically, it was not possible to be sure that every flat pack will work correctly because its never been a trike put under any load, and I felt that Jorvik should expect that occasionally after distributing many trikes, there is going to be a faulty one, and to deal with this anomaly in a professional manner.
I am not happy because of the idea that Jorvik gave in, instead I am happy because the stress is over and I have most of the trike money back.
I was sorry to hear about other peoples problems with Jorvik Trikes and was grateful to find out that I was not alone.
If I was selling a mechanical and electrical product of this type, I would logically explain to the customer that there has to be limitations, and I would ask them for their intended use and then discuss weather the quality would be suitable, because I do not think that it should be presumed that any trike will withstand any type of usage, this is just my opinion.
I now wish to draw a line under the whole event and get on with my life.
Thank you to all who have helped and advised and thank you to Jorvik for the refund.
H

Top Bottom