Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
mike.pembo said:
I dont think its put me off cycling in built up areas but its learning what to look / listen out for and how to best react. Watching it back Ive learnt that even though Im in primary I didnt use it to manouver correctly to make myself safe - instead I had a spurt of fury which may lead to a loss of control - so this is definatly something I need to work on. However since using primary when the situation dictates I have had much fewer close overtakes.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Mike, it seems you're already pretty savvy. Taking primary in multi-lane situations will not prevent close overtakes, but it will make them less frequent. Expect to receive "punishment overtakes" (from a minority) if you eschew the cycle lane or ride in primary as some motorists take exception to this behaviour - it's invariably accompanied by a beep, hand gesture or verbals...

The key point is that you cannot physically command the lane in the same manner as a motorised vehicle - this means it is crucial not to rely solely on the preventative effectiveness of taking primary, it must be allied with vigilance (shoulder checks) if possible - negotiation (eye contact), or possibly a controlled wobble/deviation (to throw a bit of unpredictability into the mix), but most importantly, a contingeny plan. If you sense an imminent overtake, you want to be taking evasive action before the vehicle is alongside - there's no point having a four/five foot buffer if you're not going to use it. That said, the greater the speed differentials, the greater the problems...

As for remonstrating/abusing drivers, I stopped bothering (well, almost) a decade ago.

Origamist

Legendary Member
mike.pembo said:
I dont think its put me off cycling in built up areas but its learning what to look / listen out for and how to best react. Watching it back Ive learnt that even though Im in primary I didnt use it to manouver correctly to make myself safe - instead I had a spurt of fury which may lead to a loss of control - so this is definatly something I need to work on. However since using primary when the situation dictates I have had much fewer close overtakes.

Mike, it seems you're already pretty savvy. Taking primary in multi-lane situations will not prevent close overtakes, but it will make them less frequent. Expect to receive "punishment overtakes" (from a minority) if you eschew the cycle lane or ride in primary as some motorists take exception to this behaviour - it's invariably accompanied by a beep, hand gesture or verbals...

The key point is that you cannot physically command the lane in the same manner as a motorised vehicle - this means it is crucial not to rely solely on the preventative effectiveness of taking primary, it must be allied with vigilance (shoulder checks) if possible - negotiation (eye contact), or possibly a controlled wobble/deviation (to throw a bit of unpredictability into the mix), but most importantly, a contingeny plan. If you sense an imminent overtake, you want to be taking evasive action before the vehicle is alongside - there's no point having a four/five foot buffer if you're not going to use it. That said, the greater the speed differentials, the greater the problems...

As for remonstrating/abusing drivers, I stopped bothering (well, almost) a decade ago.

Origamist

Legendary Member
mike.pembo said:

Garz

Squat Member
Expanding upon the second video..

I have a similar road/layout near me that I love as you can build some 25mph on the flat and it has a wide road (local lorry learner company use it in the day).

When you near them traffic islands it's best to echelon to the kerb as drivers panic that they get near you (think woman driving a 4x4 parking that need more room than a tank). I am also guilty of cycling on the line of the cycle lane divide, however this is due to the ridiculous amounts of debris in them, potholes and the fact that tempting flat gorgeous tarmac is spotted on the other side of the line..

Anyway glad your O.K with the cycling and beginning to cope better mike! :smile:

Garz

Squat Member

I have a similar road/layout near me that I love as you can build some 25mph on the flat and it has a wide road (local lorry learner company use it in the day).

When you near them traffic islands it's best to echelon to the kerb as drivers panic that they get near you (think woman driving a 4x4 parking that need more room than a tank). I am also guilty of cycling on the line of the cycle lane divide, however this is due to the ridiculous amounts of debris in them, potholes and the fact that tempting flat gorgeous tarmac is spotted on the other side of the line..

Anyway glad your O.K with the cycling and beginning to cope better mike! ;)

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Garz said:

Anyway glad your O.K with the cycling and beginning to cope better mike! ;)

Cheers everyone for the advice, I did the same route yesterday problem free and much more relaxed / pleasant :smile:.

The road layout for the second one is here

Edit: It might be worth noting that I had panniers on Monday, and this might have been a factor in more room being given.

Crankarm

Guru
A large golfing umbrella across the rear rack and panniers with point facing the road is a good way of deterring close passes or 5ft of 22mm copper pipe :tongue:.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
mike.pembo said:
The road layout for the second one is here
LMAO! the cycle lane ends and points towards the cycle path on the pavement. i don't think so some how, there is no legal requirement for me to cycle in the cycle lane.

Top Bottom