Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Hello,
Im fairly new to cycling and would like to develop skills that keep me safe whilst cycling with traffic. I have taken as many steps as I can think of such as hi-vis, 3 rear lights & 2 or 3 front lights and have also started to read CycleCraft. However, I was out just a few hours ago and came across 4 incidents, two of which I would like some help with.

Ive been recording my rides lately, to learn from mistakes, provide a "witness", and also show my fiancee what she is missing out on when Im up on the moors. Hence, I have uploaded these two incidents to YouTube and would like some pointers on what I could have done, or what I did do, correctly.

(And yes, I need to work on my response to such incidents rather than "waving" at them / swearing / responding at all).

First incident:
I just felt that this was a particulary close overtake considering there was another lane, and that after the overtake the pulling in was too rapid for my liking.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OGOaIgPhA

Second incident:
Firstly, I have done my best to cut out some of my foul language - Im not proud of it and its something I need to cut out, however understandibly at times I have a lapse.
In this one I didnt feel that this lady needed to race to the lights and nearly clip the traffic island / me in the process. I was intending to go straight at the lights hence required the right hand lane. Her own admission is that she was centimeters away from hitting the traffic island, which she could have prevented by being a bit considerate and patient.

In retrospect I could have used the cycle lane, however I do generally make more progress when using road alone.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4c6P1ZRRc

Thank you for your time

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Hello,
Im fairly new to cycling and would like to develop skills that keep me safe whilst cycling with traffic. I have taken as many steps as I can think of such as hi-vis, 3 rear lights & 2 or 3 front lights and have also started to read CycleCraft. However, I was out just a few hours ago and came across 4 incidents, two of which I would like some help with.

Ive been recording my rides lately, to learn from mistakes, provide a "witness", and also show my fiancee what she is missing out on when Im up on the moors. Hence, I have uploaded these two incidents to YouTube and would like some pointers on what I could have done, or what I did do, correctly.

(And yes, I need to work on my response to such incidents rather than "waving" at them / swearing / responding at all).

First incident:
I just felt that this was a particulary close overtake considering there was another lane, and that after the overtake the pulling in was too rapid for my liking.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OGOaIgPhA

Second incident:
Firstly, I have done my best to cut out some of my foul language - Im not proud of it and its something I need to cut out, however understandibly at times I have a lapse.
In this one I didnt feel that this lady needed to race to the lights and nearly clip the traffic island / me in the process. I was intending to go straight at the lights hence required the right hand lane. Her own admission is that she was centimeters away from hitting the traffic island, which she could have prevented by being a bit considerate and patient.

In retrospect I could have used the cycle lane, however I do generally make more progress when using road alone.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4c6P1ZRRc

Thank you for your time

Garz

Squat Member
Your not alone mike. The more I cycle the less likely I am to swear/gesture as you get more experienced and not let the idiots bother you.

However there is times when it is called for or you cannot hold back.

Garz

Squat Member
Your not alone mike. The more I cycle the less likely I am to swear/gesture as you get more experienced and not let the idiots bother you.

However there is times when it is called for or you cannot hold back.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Do you ever go out when it's busy?
You'll give yourself early coronary overreacting every time summat stupid happens.
Just get on with riding and ignore the fact that most of the plebish stuff is prob caused by them being on a phone or sumfink

I am Spartacus

Über Member
You'll give yourself early coronary overreacting every time summat stupid happens.
Just get on with riding and ignore the fact that most of the plebish stuff is prob caused by them being on a phone or sumfink

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

I am Spartacus said:

My normal leisure rides are out in the countryside, so not normally mixing with traffic. My commute is 3 miles each way, but traffic is always light so again not much dealings with traffic. I suppose I just need to get used to it like you say as it seems to be inevitable.
The only reason why I did this journey today was to test the water for a different commute tomorrow into the town center as Im doing some interviews, so I imagine tomorrow will be even scarier :laugh:.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

I am Spartacus said:

My normal leisure rides are out in the countryside, so not normally mixing with traffic. My commute is 3 miles each way, but traffic is always light so again not much dealings with traffic. I suppose I just need to get used to it like you say as it seems to be inevitable.
The only reason why I did this journey today was to test the water for a different commute tomorrow into the town center as Im doing some interviews, so I imagine tomorrow will be even scarier :biggrin:.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Added a link to the second video now

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Nothing wrong in either case from my point of view.

First video:
your bound to get people overtaking to close, so it's best to always give your self enough room to your left to move over a little when this happens. This also helps if people cut back in to soon.

Second video:
She is just a dumb driver. the cycle lane ends right at the split point in the lane, so it's not the best design. her arguments are weak as to why she did what she did, but in future i would keep to the cycle lane and then hug the right of the turning left lane and move into the right lane when it's safe to do so.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Nothing wrong in either case from my point of view.

First video:
your bound to get people overtaking to close, so it's best to always give your self enough room to your left to move over a little when this happens. This also helps if people cut back in to soon.

Second video:
She is just a dumb driver. the cycle lane ends right at the split point in the lane, so it's not the best design. her arguments are weak as to why she did what she did, but in future i would keep to the cycle lane and then hug the right of the turning left lane and move into the right lane when it's safe to do so.

1.Wait until you are overtaken by a 50' Artic whose driver leaves you with a foot of roadway to play with between the side of the lorry and the kerb.

2.Look out for the impatient left turners coming up from behind who will try and make the manoever ahead of you but completely misjudge your speed.

1.Wait until you are overtaken by a 50' Artic whose driver leaves you with a foot of roadway to play with between the side of the lorry and the kerb.

2.Look out for the impatient left turners coming up from behind who will try and make the manoever ahead of you but completely misjudge your speed.

Garz

Squat Member
Can you clarify what she say's at the exchange as I can hear you but not her?

It seems she does a classic gormless driver speed pass not anticipating the light change then cut up the cyclist as they cant jump the light..

The first video the peugeot driver does what is proper form, the twat in the pickup was just delibrately being an ass. Car is probably not roadworthy it's so old.

Top Bottom